Vaccinations?

Old February 9th 12, 10:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

Default Vaccinations?

On Feb 9, 2:13*pm, "Storrmmee" wrote:
the research on the sarcoma was interesting, it seems according to this
researcher, it has a very large genitic component, and some of his research
was plotting where cats had it, in the twenty years of her practice here in
the midwest she has seen only two cases, but when you look at the map it
seems that in colorado there is a serious cluster of it, Lee"Sharon" wrote in message

The genetic factor would be interesting to learn more about, as the
two cats of DD's who
both died from it were brothers. It's a heartbreaking thing to lose
your cat because of your
good intentions.

Sherry
Old February 10th 12, 02:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

I cannot see any reason where a cat that never goes out would need any.
We
don't need rabies shots here and Boyfie has his jabs for whatever is a
dangerous disease for a UK cat as he is allowed out.
If your cat is entirely inside forever I cannot see why they would need
any
vaccinations at all, unless a bad cat disease comes in via your
air-conditioning!

Same reason an indoor-only cat should be microchipped, I guess. Even
if you never intend for a cat to get out, things happen. It's true that
there's a far greater chance of an escaped indoor cat to get lost than
to catch rabies, so the microchip is more important. But if you want to
be really sure, I suppose vaccinations are a good idea. Of course, I say
this even though I haven't gotten Roxy vaccinated for years. She's a
special case, though, because of her herpes. I don't want to stress her
immune system any more than absolutely necessary.

On the other hand, I'm late getting Licky's vaccinations. Rabies is
pretty rare where I live, but not impossible. There are also other
diseases that *are* common.

*If* your indoor cat ever gets out, it will be retrieved (hopefully) quite
quickly. What are the chances of it contracting any kind of disease during
that short time?
If I were in Jill's position with Persia I would not have her vaccinated
against rabies, myself, but that is something she has to decide for herself.
What are the chances of Persia putting herself in a position to get rabies
is what I would ask myself if she were mine, and if the answer was pretty
well nil, I wouldn't get her jabbed.
YVMV.
Tweed

Old February 10th 12, 03:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

This discussion has helped me make up my mind. Pickles is terrified to be
put in a carrier, and I haven't gotten her shots for a couple of years. I
made contact with a vet who makes house calls, but apparently they are only
occasionally done and you don't get much notice, not to mention the fact
that they charge $85 on top of the cost of the shots. Waffles just had his
shots, but I don't think either of them will get any more.

Joy

Old February 10th 12, 04:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"J J Levin" wrote in message

Where we live (New Jersey) rabies is annual. Distemper is every 3 years.
Our two cats are both indoor and have never been outdoors, yet the vet
recommended rabies and distemper shots. I trust the vet because he could
have also sold me flea and tick monthly protection and he told us that in
our area, for indoor cats to have fleas or ticks is very rare. They did
not have any in Florida (their original home) and they have a virtual zero
chance of getting any in NJ.

I feel that the rabies shots are worthwhile, although our cats are always
indoors. So do several friends with cats.

But why? How could your cat get rabies if they never go out?
Vets earn loads from promoting vaccinations that cost them next to nothing
to buy and have a huge mark-up for them.
By all means get your cats vaccinated for anything they might actually be at
risk for, but I really cannot see any necessity for a totally indoor cat to
have any.
What disease can they possibly catch?

Tweed

Old February 10th 12, 04:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message

"Matthew" wrote in message
ng.com...

"jmcquown" wrote in message
It's time for me to take Persia for her annual checkup. I just know the
vet will want to give her booster shots. That's all well and good, but
is it really necessary? She's an indoor cat. (She doesn't even really
care to sit in the Kitty Walk enclosure on the patio much anymore.) How
on earth would she get rabies? (I do think there's a law in SC that a
rabies certificate must be filed with some government agency.)

How do you folks feel about annual vaccinations? Are they necessary?
I'd welcome a civilized discussion. Obviously there will be differing
opinions but there aren't any right or wrong answers.

Jill

I thought the rabies was every 3 years

I think the regulations vary by state. But I don't see a reason to
vaccinate Persia against rabies (or anything else) when she never comes
into contact with other animals. Why are vets so eager to give
indoor-only cats booster shots every every time they have a check up?
This is what I'm questioning.

Short answer - because it makes them richer.

Old February 10th 12, 05:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 00:33:40 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
I cannot see any reason where a cat that never goes out would need any. We
don't need rabies shots here and Boyfie has his jabs for whatever is a
dangerous disease for a UK cat as he is allowed out.
If your cat is entirely inside forever I cannot see why they would need any
vaccinations at all, unless a bad cat disease comes in via your
air-conditioning!

My cats don't go out (except Dot occasionally on a walking jacket), but I
get them vaccinated because I go out.

What I don't want to happen is for me to go out, get bitten by a rabid bat,
then come home and bite one of the cats and transmit it to them. Of course,
I don't *want* to bite the cats, but I won't be able to help it you know,
because the rabies would have affected my brain.
Old February 10th 12, 05:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 18:11:24 -0800, "Joy" wrote:
This discussion has helped me make up my mind. Pickles is terrified to be
put in a carrier, and I haven't gotten her shots for a couple of years. I
made contact with a vet who makes house calls, but apparently they are only
occasionally done and you don't get much notice, not to mention the fact
that they charge $85 on top of the cost of the shots. Waffles just had his
shots, but I don't think either of them will get any more.

Is she terrified to go get her haircut too? I hope not - it makes her look
so cute.
Old February 10th 12, 05:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:
I cannot see any reason where a cat that never goes out would need any. We
don't need rabies shots here and Boyfie has his jabs for whatever is a
dangerous disease for a UK cat as he is allowed out.
If your cat is entirely inside forever I cannot see why they would need
any
vaccinations at all, unless a bad cat disease comes in via your
air-conditioning!

My cats don't go out (except Dot occasionally on a walking jacket), but I
get them vaccinated because I go out.

What I don't want to happen is for me to go out, get bitten by a rabid
bat,
then come home and bite one of the cats and transmit it to them. Of
course,
I don't *want* to bite the cats, but I won't be able to help it you know,
because the rabies would have affected my brain.00

LOL! You can be such a bad boy sometimes ;-)

Old February 10th 12, 08:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Takayuki" wrote in message
On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 18:11:24 -0800, "Joy" wrote:
This discussion has helped me make up my mind. Pickles is terrified to be
put in a carrier, and I haven't gotten her shots for a couple of years. I
made contact with a vet who makes house calls, but apparently they are
only
occasionally done and you don't get much notice, not to mention the fact
that they charge $85 on top of the cost of the shots. Waffles just had
his
shots, but I don't think either of them will get any more.

Is she terrified to go get her haircut too? I hope not - it makes her look
so cute.

It's only being in a carrier that terrifies her. Apparently she's
claustrophobic. Once I finally figured that out, I found a mobile groomer
to come cut her hair. That was quite a few months ago, and it looks as
though she'll be needing another cut in a couple of months.

I think it makes her look cute too, and her hair when it isn't cut isn't
very cute. However, I wouldn't do it just for looks. When she gets enough
mats on her stomach, I figure it's time. She's got a couple now.

Joy

Old February 10th 12, 10:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

i am not sure who this research vet is but i bet there is probably something
at the cornelle site, if i remember i will ask my vet next time i am in
there, Lee