Cat problem

Old February 9th 04, 06:18 PM
Kermit

Default Cat problem

Hi to all!

I've had my cat for going on 15 years.
He's my buddy and I think the world of him, but when he uses his litter
box; 3 out of 5 times he will drop feces either right at my bathroom
door or in front of the box. I'd say that this has been happening for
about three years.
One time I had company (I was just coming home) who went (in ahead of
me) to use my bathroom and stepped right in it. I can't tell you how
embarrasing that was.
When I'm home; I can certainly tell when "it" not in the box, because
wheew!!
I keep his litter box clean, so I don't understand.
I would appreciate ANY ideas.

Thanks!

Kermit

Old February 9th 04, 06:38 PM
jamie

Kermit wrote:
I've had my cat for going on 15 years.
He's my buddy and I think the world of him, but when he uses his litter
box; 3 out of 5 times he will drop feces either right at my bathroom
door or in front of the box. I'd say that this has been happening for
about three years.

It may be clinging to his fur, and dropping off when he leaves the
box. Having his behind shaved with an electric clipper may take
care of that. A groomer or a vet should be able to do it for you.

--
jamie )

"There's a seeker born every minute."

Old February 9th 04, 06:52 PM
kaeli

In article , KLT702
@webtv.net enlightened us with...
Hi to all!

I've had my cat for going on 15 years.
He's my buddy and I think the world of him, but when he uses his litter
box; 3 out of 5 times he will drop feces either right at my bathroom
door or in front of the box. I'd say that this has been happening for
about three years.
One time I had company (I was just coming home) who went (in ahead of
me) to use my bathroom and stepped right in it. I can't tell you how
embarrasing that was.
When I'm home; I can certainly tell when "it" not in the box, because
wheew!!
I keep his litter box clean, so I don't understand.
I would appreciate ANY ideas.

Could be sticking to his rear because there is either too much hair
there or because the stool is a little loose. Or maybe both.

Have you ever watched him go to see if he's dragging it out with him on
his hiney?

Also, my one cat gets very enthusiastic when burying, so she sometimes
manages to fling a turd or two out of the box on occasion. If I didn't
have a covered box, this would happen a lot more. Something to thing
about.

~kaeli~
Bakers trade bread recipes on a knead-to-know basis.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Old February 9th 04, 10:31 PM
Cathy Friedmann

Try giving him a second box right next to the original one. Or even
possibly a 3rd box, apart form the other two. He may simply want one to pee
in & one to poop in nowadays. Soem cats do, & this soluatuion will work for
some cats who poop outside the box.

Also, the bright side: be glad he's pooping outside the box, & not peeing
outside it! Poop's a whole lot easier to clean up!

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Old February 10th 04, 08:00 AM
Kermit

That has been known to happen (poop sticking to him) every now and then.
He just puts it in the places I mentioned, because I have actually heard
him scratching litter (digging) out of his box trying to cover up what
he puts on the floor. It's cute in a sense, but the odor sure isn't.

Old February 10th 04, 08:08 AM
Kermit

Thanks Cathy!
I'll give your idea a try and see if that works.
Yor're right; it would be SOMETHING if he urinated outside his litter
box.