how to lure kittens from their underground nest?

Old October 18th 03, 09:18 PM
Ozdes

Default how to lure kittens from their underground nest?

I am new in this group and last week for the first time in my life I rescued
a cat using a trap. She/he was an app. 16-week old kitten and used to live
around the graduate apartment complex of Lehigh
University,PA. She/he is already in a no-kill shelter. This week I was
supposed to trap the mum and bring her to the same place. But I found out
that mum gave birth again. The kittens have their eyes open and they walk
but their legs are still weak. Fortunately, the shelter agreed to take them
all. The problem is that I can't get the kittens! Their nest is a ground
den, probably confiscated from a
groundhog. Unless they come out, there is no way for me to grab them from
their nest. I can't even see them when they go deep inside the den. And they
only come out, when their mummy calls for them. Does
anyone know of a method on how to lure kittens?

I cannot afford to wait until they get older as the university told me that
they will trap the cat(mum) themselves if I don't manage to do so soon. Just
now, they don't know about the kittens. I'm afraid
that they will contact animal control, have the mum put asleep. Is it legal
to euthanize a nursing cat in the US? If yes, is it still legal when you
can't locate the kittens?

Thanks for your help
Ozdesh

Old October 20th 03, 07:18 PM
Chris

Can you trap the mom & put the trap with her in it by the entrance. This
may lure them.... Keep in mind she will really fuss about being away from
her kittens. Do you know how many there are?? wouldn't want to leave one.
Also, if you do get them, do NOT make the mistake of trying to put them in
the trap with her out in the open,,, she might get out. Wait till you're at
the shelter or apt or whatever. Good luck

Old October 21st 03, 08:53 PM
Sharon Talbert

Interesting problem. If you can get the authorities to grant you just one
more week, you should be able to trap with some assurance of getting
everyone in a livetrap, as the kittens will be exploring on their own
soon, whether momcat approves or not.

There are some pretty specialized livetraps that would help, as well.
There is even one that is made to fit over a hole in the ground or fit
flush to an opening in a wall or embankment. And there just may be one
designed to fit into a den opening. Just be sure it is a livetrap and not
one that would kill or inflict injury.

If you have the opportunity when momcat is away, try luring the little
ones out into your hand by reaching in and making loud! meowing noises
(sounds silly, but it works). This works well if the kittens are 3-4
weeks, when they are toddling and innocent. I once grabbed a whole litter
by reaching into the den as far as I could and mewing like a kitten with
its tail in a wringer. The kittens all toddled right into my hand. Then
as we were leaving, I called one more time and the last kitten answered!
Got him, too. And how did I find them? By mewing like a kitten with its
tail in a wringer.

It is a fine line, trapping a family with small kittens when you can't get
to the den and don't know how many kittens there are. You can probably
easily catch mom, but then the kittens are left unprotected. Or you can
caught in the act by the momcat, who then moves the litter to parts
unknown. Or you can catch some but not all of the kittens... and so on

I guess in your case, I would first plead for more time and then I would
trap mom and get all the kittens I could lure into my hand, hoping to gawd
the den isn't so deep they won't be likely to toddle out.

Good luck. And keep us posted.

My Campus Cats address is below if you want to consult.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats