Cinders meets an alien

Old September 20th 04, 05:06 AM
John F. Eldredge

Default Cinders meets an alien

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from
http://pgp.mit.edu

Old September 20th 04, 06:12 AM
O J

On Sun, 19 Sep, John F. Eldredge wrote:

---------------------snip----------------------
When I go to bed, I have to wear a mask, somewhat resembling a blue
rubber pig snout, that fits over my nose and is connected by a hose
to the CPAP machine. A net of elastic webbing fits over my head to
hold the mask on, and makes me look somewhat like the villain in a
pro wrestling match.

---------------------snip----------------------

I've had to use a CPAP machine for several years now. In time, you
won't even know it's there. Fortunately, my Lady Jane Grey still
loves me and lays on my chest most nights. I still get to fall asleep
while getting my favorite type of kitty loving, beard snuggles.

A piece of advice if you find it cumbersome to breath when the machine
wants you to. The prescription for the device is usually written as
something like 12, 6, 4. The first is the high pressure, the second
the low pressure number (in pounds/square inch for our international
friends), and the last is usually the frequency at which the machine
tries to get you to breathe. You may safely turn the frequency
setting to off and your body will regulate your breathing. Try it
only if you are troubled by using the machine's breathing cycle.

Aarrrggggh! (Still a couple of hours left of ITLAPD in CA's pacific
daylight savings time)
O J

Old September 20th 04, 07:56 AM
Takayuki

John F. Eldredge wrote:
I was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea. This is a medical
condition where you periodically stop breathing.

The CPAP sounds like a clever device! I'll have to ask my father if
he's ever considered it. He's a loud snorer, and has very obvious
sleep apnea. I don't know if it's caused him to suffer from insomnia,
but my mother would have trouble sleeping, what with his snoring, then
stopping, making choking sounds, and starting up again. These days,
they sleep very far from each other, on opposite wings of their
residence, and with their hardwood doors, nobody can hear a thing.
Problem solved? Well, maybe not quite - I don't want my dad to wake
up dead.

Old September 20th 04, 08:10 AM
O J

On Mon, 20 Sep, Takayuki wrote:

John F. Eldredge wrote:
I was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea. This is a medical
condition where you periodically stop breathing.

The CPAP sounds like a clever device! I'll have to ask my father if
he's ever considered it. He's a loud snorer, and has very obvious
sleep apnea. I don't know if it's caused him to suffer from insomnia,
but my mother would have trouble sleeping, what with his snoring, then
stopping, making choking sounds, and starting up again. These days,
they sleep very far from each other, on opposite wings of their
residence, and with their hardwood doors, nobody can hear a thing.
Problem solved? Well, maybe not quite - I don't want my dad to wake
up dead.

Your description is classic for apnea. Your dad needs to get himself
on one of these without delay. It's covered by my health insurance,
so maybe your father will get that benefit if he's covered.
Seriously, he's risking heart attack and stroke, not to mention
falling asleep while driving.

Regards and Purrs,
O J