Cats and Milk

Old January 7th 07, 09:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Default Cats and Milk

Matthew wrote:
I can't have a bowl of cereal or my nightly milk and cookies unless
rumble shares. Some the others tend to ignore it unless I rub some
on their lips Ka' Shay is hit or miss.

But I do remember the barn cats coming in every time we milked the
goats or the cows for their fair share. When we churned butter we
had a audience at all times

Butter is best! LOL

Jill

Old January 7th 07, 10:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Katrina

On 2007-01-07 12:37:00 -0800, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
said:
jmcquown wrote:

I drink low-fat milk. When Persia sees the milk jug come out of the
refrigerator she starts yowling until I pour a couple of
tablespoonfuls in a bowl for her. She's never had any adverse
reactions to milk.

How about your cats?

Frankly, I am astonished by the number of HUMANS who seem to be
allergic to milk, nowadays. I don't deny the allergy exists, but
WHY, when milk used to be the "normal" beverage for children (and
even many adults) at mealtime? What has changed in the human
gene-pool, to make what was once a rare condition so commonplace?

Actually, lactose TOLERANCE is NOT the norm for most adult humans.

Can you site some sources for this? I've been drinking milk all my adult
life and I'm almost 47 years old. Never had a problem. I love milk. Have
no problem drinking milk. Or eating cheese. Or any dairy products. I find
it hard to believe that "once weaned" people (or animals) can no longer
tolerate milk. That just doesn't make any sense. John (who is 60) loves a
good cold glass of milk when we have breakfast, as do I. So, please back up
this statement with some factual data. Won't really matter, since I know
everyone in my family and my LLL and Persia! (who is an adult cat) love and
can and do drink milk

Jill

http://www.gnxp.com/MT2/archives/001681.html

According to the statistics, 86% of Northern Europeans are lactose
*tolerant*, but only 36% of Southern Europeans are. 98% of Southeast
Asians are intolerant (note that milk and milk products are not
generally part of Asian cooking), so only 2% of Southeast Asians can
tolerate milk... but that 2% could certainly enjoy a "nice, cold glass
of milk" even when 98% of their relatives can't. If you go on down the
list, you'll see that lactose tolerance is highest among Northern
Europeans. Unless you want to argue that the entire world is made up
of Northern Europeans, it's clear that most humans are lactose
intolerant.

I'm guessing that you and John are from Northern European background,
but even if not, all populations have some individuals who tolerate
milk. If you ARE of Northern European stock, you fall into one of the
populations which are more likely than not to be lactose tolerant. Most
Americans (and the dominant *American* culture) is founded in that
Northern European gene pool. This is also why the Dairy industry is so
strong here- it's part of the cultural baggage brought over by British,
Scandanavian and Germanic settlers. The problem is that giving milk as
part of a subsidized meal to inner city children (who are more likely
to NOT tolerate it because of differing genetic backgrounds) is
actually making those kids sick.

Katrina

--
History: special people in special places at special times
Anthropology: everyone else the rest of the time

-----------------
-----------------
Old January 7th 07, 10:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Matthew wrote:
I can't have a bowl of cereal or my nightly milk and cookies unless
rumble shares. Some the others tend to ignore it unless I rub some
on their lips Ka' Shay is hit or miss.

But I do remember the barn cats coming in every time we milked the
goats or the cows for their fair share. When we churned butter we
had a audience at all times

Butter is best! LOL

Jill

No real churned butter is the best none of this crap in it like today's
choices have

Old January 7th 07, 10:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

"jmcquown" wrote

I do get occasional sinus and ear infections (the two go hand in hand
thanks
to the eustachian tube) but those are bacterial, not viral infections and
cannot be transmitted person to person.

I would offer that your infections are not caused by bacteria or virus, but
rather by your consumption of dairy products - along with other gargage like
refined sugar and flour, which combine with dairy residues to create mucus,
in which those nasty micro-organisms (that get blamed as the "cause" of
infections) are able to thrive.

The fact that you apparently are able to digest dairy products does not
equate to them being healthful for human consumption. Much information
regarding the ill effects can be found at www.notmilk.com

The usual response to any suggestion of milk being unhealthful among people
who've been brainwashed by the media (subservient to the interests of the
dairy industry) is "How then will we get enough calcium?"

Well, how does a cow obtain calcium? And how does a free-ranging chicken
having its eggs constantly stolen by its owner get enough calcium to produce
shell after shell if its diet consists only of bugs scrounged in the dirt
plus some scattered grains?

In fact the foods highest in calcium are sesame seeds, sea vegetables and
hard green leafy vegetables (not spinach or lettuce, but kale, collards,
broccoli, watercress, bok choy, mustard, turnip & radish greens). If calcium
is the key to strong bones and teeth, why have Oriental people who
traditionally consume very little in the way of dairy products (but *do*
consume seaweed quite regularly) always had the lowest instances of
osteoporosis.

Old January 7th 07, 10:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message
I know I've posted about this before but just curious. I keep hearing that
milk is bad for cats, yet I grew up hearing about "cats and cream" (or
milk). I know lots of people buy special "milk" for cats; goats milk and
soy milk. When Persia first came to me I asked the vet about giving
Persia
milk. He said no problem, just not in large quantities. It's the one
"treat" I can give her.

I drink low-fat milk. When Persia sees the milk jug come out of the
refrigerator she starts yowling until I pour a couple of tablespoonfuls in
bowl for her. She's never had any adverse reactions to milk.

How about your cats?

Jill

I've only had one cat that was particularly interested in milk. Herbie
loved it, and I used to give him a little every evening. He wasn't fussy,
either. He'd drink anything from non-fat to cream. He usually got non-fat
or low fat. Skeeter didn't like milk, but she couldn't stand the idea of
Herbie getting something that she didn't. She made a big fuss unless I gave
here milk too. I'd give her about a teaspoon, and watch her stiffen and
practically shudder as she drank it. If she could have held her nose, she
would have. You could tell she hated it, but she wasn't about to leave a
drop for Herbie.

Joy

Old January 7th 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dewi

kilikini wrote:
Dewi wrote:
kilikini wrote:
Dewi wrote:
I've never had problems with my adult cats drinking milk. Kittens
tend to get the "runs", but they seem to grow out of it. I give my
cats eggy - milk which they love. It's they're second favourite
treat after roo mince.

Dewi

My cats won't touch eggs, but my rats love it!

kili

Did you get some more rats. Last I read you had the one.
My rats sometimes eat boiled eggs, but never tried raw eggs on them.

Dewi

We got Mickey a buddy we call Phideaux (Fido). He's white with grey spots
and the two snuggle and play furiously. It's cute to watch and the cats are
transfixed! They sniff noses through the cage - absolutely harmless, thank
goodness!

kili

Oh that great!

Dewi

Old January 7th 07, 11:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"Matthew" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Matthew wrote:
I can't have a bowl of cereal or my nightly milk and cookies unless
rumble shares. Some the others tend to ignore it unless I rub some
on their lips Ka' Shay is hit or miss.

But I do remember the barn cats coming in every time we milked the
goats or the cows for their fair share. When we churned butter we
had a audience at all times

Butter is best! LOL

Jill

No real churned butter is the best none of this crap in it like today's
choices have

LOL. Kids now don't even know that butter used to be yellow. Really
yellow. So were egg yolks. Egg yolks now are so pale you can't even make
yellow and while scrambled eggs by not over stirring them anymore.

Jo

Old January 7th 07, 11:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

On 2007-01-07 12:37:00 -0800, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
said:
jmcquown wrote:

[...]

One of the things we were told to expect when we adopted a child from Korea
thirty years ago was an aversion to milk. Tara disliked milk as a child and
still avoids dairy products for the most part.

It does make getting enough calcium interesting with a western diet,
especially when you are dealing with a child that is already severely
malnourished.

I for one am very glad that things like orange juice now can be purchased
with added calcium.

Jo

Old January 7th 07, 11:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

"Jo Firey" wrote:
One of the things we were told to expect when we adopted a child from Korea
thirty years ago was an aversion to milk. Tara disliked milk as a child and
still avoids dairy products for the most part.

I've been to Korea a few times, and they always have these yogurt
drinks, so it's dairy, but with the lactose deactivated by the
culture. I think I've seen similar drinks in the US too.

Old January 8th 07, 12:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

On 2007-01-07 13:54:29 -0800, "jmcquown"

On 2007-01-07 12:37:00 -0800, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
said:
jmcquown wrote:

[...]

Thank you. I didn't mean to sound confrontational but I run into this sort
of thing all the time on another newsgroup. Yes, both of our families are
from Eastern Europeon or British backgrounds and we (nor any of our family)
have any problem with milk. Milk is not common in SE Asia. I do have to
say this, though. Our cook when we lived in Bangkok had a 3 year old son.
For a treat, what did he want? A lump of Butter! So Alum would go to the
market and bring him a lump of butter. Sounds gross, but that's what he
wanted. I didn't see him have a problem after eating it.

Jill