Floods and Earthquakes

Old October 17th 04, 10:48 PM
Bev

Default Floods and Earthquakes

We've had it all here in Napier, New Zealand. It started raining at
1.00 this morning and in an hour 55mm fell - I think about half a
foot. People have been evacuated out of houses and kids are paddling
their boats along some streets. The power went off nearby and the
water pumps in certain areas were overloaded. I've never seen such
lightning, it seemed the thunder broke right over our heads. We had an
earthquake too, though fortunately not a big one. Our house is OK but
I notice this morning there is a water mark on the lawn of the house
across the road. More rain is expected to-day. Will keep you posted.

Bev
--
The email of the species is more deadly than the mail.
Old October 17th 04, 10:58 PM
Christina Websell

"Bev" wrote in message
We've had it all here in Napier, New Zealand. It started raining at
1.00 this morning and in an hour 55mm fell - I think about half a
foot. People have been evacuated out of houses and kids are paddling
their boats along some streets. The power went off nearby and the
water pumps in certain areas were overloaded. I've never seen such
lightning, it seemed the thunder broke right over our heads. We had an
earthquake too, though fortunately not a big one. Our house is OK but
I notice this morning there is a water mark on the lawn of the house
across the road. More rain is expected to-day. Will keep you posted.

Bev
--
The email of the species is more deadly than the mail.

Hope it's okay for you. We're getting similar weather in the UK. Floods
etc.
It rained *again* today.

Tweed

Old October 17th 04, 11:10 PM

Christina Websell wrote:

"Bev" wrote in message
We've had it all here in Napier, New Zealand. It started raining at
1.00 this morning and in an hour 55mm fell - I think about half a
foot. People have been evacuated out of houses and kids are paddling
their boats along some streets. The power went off nearby and the
water pumps in certain areas were overloaded. I've never seen such
lightning, it seemed the thunder broke right over our heads. We had an
earthquake too, though fortunately not a big one. Our house is OK but
I notice this morning there is a water mark on the lawn of the house
across the road. More rain is expected to-day. Will keep you posted.

Hope it's okay for you. We're getting similar weather in the UK. Floods
etc. It rained *again* today.

OK, you guys are scaring me. I just watched "The Day After Tomorrow" on
DVD last night. If you haven't heard of it, it's a disaster film (with
truly awesome effects, and I'm not a nut about effects, but these were
quite impressive) about the world's weather going bonkers because the
polar ice caps melted. Hail in Tokyo, tornados in Los Angeles, superfreeze
in Scotland, gigantic storm systems that cover whole continents. And now
I'm reading about weird weather for real.

Hope everyone's OK!

Joyce

Old October 17th 04, 11:14 PM
Seanette Blaylock

Bev had some very interesting things to say about
Floods and Earthquakes:

We've had it all here in Napier, New Zealand. It started raining at
1.00 this morning and in an hour 55mm fell - I think about half a
foot. People have been evacuated out of houses and kids are paddling
their boats along some streets. The power went off nearby and the
water pumps in certain areas were overloaded. I've never seen such
lightning, it seemed the thunder broke right over our heads. We had an
earthquake too, though fortunately not a big one. Our house is OK but
I notice this morning there is a water mark on the lawn of the house
across the road. More rain is expected to-day. Will keep you posted.

Uh, WHAT did you people in NZ do to tick Someone off? ;-)

Seriously, I hope things settle down for you VERY soon.