Jellicle Ball

Old October 16th 08, 05:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Granby

Default Jellicle Ball

Granddaughter asked me what "Jellicle" meant and where the term came from.
I suddenly realized I didn't have a clue.

Old October 16th 08, 06:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Mosey =^..^=[_3_] Mosey =^..^=[_3_] is offline
Banned

"Granby"
Granddaughter asked me what "Jellicle" meant and where the term came from.
I suddenly realized I didn't have a clue.

"Jellicle" is taken from TS Elliot's "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats".
Introduced in his poem /Song of the Jellicles/, they were originally
depicted by Eliot as common black-and-white cats whose daytime nature is
peaceful, pleasant and restful — but who possess an active love of nightlife
Specifically, Eliot mentions that they like to gather at an event called the
"Jellicle Ball
The name /jellicle/ comes from a previously unpublished poem by Eliot
entitled "Pollicle Dogs and Jellicle Cats", where /jellicle cats/ is a
corruption of /dear little cats/ and /pollicle dogs/ of /poor little dogs

Hi Gramby, I know you have trouble seeing, blue especially, but someone
e-mailed me these links and it helped me understand..so rather than make you
have to open all these links, I decided to copy and past what I could, from
the links, and top post them, and left the blue links below.
There's also a link below about Andrew Lloyd Webber and the musical CATS
And a youtube video link.
You and your grandaughter can have fun opening the links
I hope I answered your query..:
Purrs
Kyla

***Here are the links:

Here's what wikipedia says about it:

The *Jellicle cats*, or simply the *Jellicles*, are a type of feline
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felidae mentioned in T. S. Eliot
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T._S._Eliot's /Old Possum's Book of
Practical Cats
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Possum%27s_Book_of_Practical_Cats/.

Introduced in his poem /Song of the Jellicles/, they were originally
depicted by Eliot as common black-and-white
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicolor_cat cats whose daytime nature is
peaceful, pleasant and restful — but who possess an active love of
nightlife http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightlife. Specifically, Eliot
mentions that they like to gather at an event called the "Jellicle Ball".

They are featured in /Cats
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cats_%28musical%29/, the Andrew Lloyd
Webber http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Lloyd_Webber musical
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_theater based on Eliot's work, in
which a subplot surrounds the disappearance of the Jellicle patriarch
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriarch Old Deuteronomy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Deuteronomy. (In contrast with the
poem, Lloyd Webber's Jellicles possess many kinds of coat-patterns,
diverse personalities and individual talents.)

The name /jellicle/ comes from a previously unpublished poem by Eliot
entitled "Pollicle Dogs and Jellicle Cats", where /jellicle cats/ is a
corruption of /dear little cats/ and /pollicle dogs/ of /poor little
dogs/.^[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jellicle#cite_note-0

^If you have enough bandwidth to watch YouTube videos you might enjoy this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaHbZqqxUQg

Old October 16th 08, 01:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Granby

Thank you Kyla. Don't ever worry about problems with my sight and the
puter. There are visual aid things that I have that help. If I have
something I have a problem with I just whine in an email to a really good
friend and he sends me the link I need.

Thank you for this info. I had read it before but must have had a brain
burp.

"Granby"

Old October 16th 08, 11:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Mosey =^..^=[_3_] Mosey =^..^=[_3_] is offline
Banned

Granby, you're very welcome, and please know you can always e-mail me too
I get brain burps too once in awhile...LOL. I love you, you know.
Kyla
"Granby"