Cat afraid of fish

Old May 21st 04, 05:51 PM
JBHajos

Default Cat afraid of fish

On Fri, 21 May 2004 11:49:08 -0400 (EDT), "Tigger"
wrote:

Our oldest cat is deathly afraid of the Goldfish. It's not so much
afraid of the fish, as afraid of seeing them under the water. She's an
avid mouser, so it's not fear of the fish.

(snip)
Opinions.

It's hard to say what spooks kitties but I think your suppositions
are sound. It seems like that kind of abuse to me too. Our Speckles
was a stray, estimated by the vet at 3-years-old at the time. We've
had her for nearly 12 years and she's still deathly afraid of *paper*.
We don't need to make a sound with it or come toward her, and it can
be a newspaper, magazine, or single sheet of paper; she runs as soon
as she sees it picked up. Any sudden loud noise strikes terror in
her little breast, which is more understandable - most kitties don't
like it either - but hers seems more traumatic than the others. A
couple of years ago, she had her first X-ray and, much to our
surprise, she was found to have a B-B pellet lodged in her body.
Obviously she didn't have a very happy life before coming to us but
hasn't forgotten it in these 12 years.

Jeanne
Old May 21st 04, 07:04 PM
Sherry

Poor kitty. With some of these cats, we just don't know their history. It's
pitiful to see a cat afraid of the broom, especiall, 'cause you know it's been
chased with one. I think the fact that she decided to leave her owners speaks
volumes. Cats just don't do that if they are treated and fed well. It really
sounds like she was an abused cat.

Sherry
Old May 21st 04, 08:16 PM
Takayuki

"Tigger" wrote:

Our oldest cat is deathly afraid of the Goldfish. It's not so much
afraid of the fish, as afraid of seeing them under the water. She's an
avid mouser, so it's not fear of the fish.

We got her from a cat rescue place a few years back. It seemed that she
had a home, but decided to leave. She was petrified of the TV for well
over a year and would not get up on your lap for almost two years. She
also runs at the sight of the broom. I think you're geting the picture
now. Likely chased off the furniture with a broom and associated the TV
with the Living Room.

The fish fear is a little harder to explain. When we first got her she
got very upset at the sound of running water in the bathtub and would
pace outside the door until you were finished your bath. She would also
look in the bathtub when you were finished. The only conclusion I can
reach is that her previous 'owner' had drowned her kittens in the
bathtub. She was not spade when we got her and had given birth several
times. Might just be a failed bathing experience, but I don't think so,

Opinions.

Maybe the broom is a sign of abuse, but the bath thing sounds very
common. A lot of kitties get upset at their slaves taking baths,
and/or like to examine the bathtub afterwards.

Betty isn't one of those, though. She knows she's not allowed in the
bathroom, and she doesn't seem to care about water, or brooms. She's
afraid of the vacuum cleaner, lawn mower, and lawn spreader.

Old May 22nd 04, 03:47 AM
Marina

"Takayuki" wrote

Maybe the broom is a sign of abuse, but the bath thing sounds very
common. A lot of kitties get upset at their slaves taking baths,
and/or like to examine the bathtub afterwards.

That's true. Frank is always very worried when I go for my morning dips out
on the island. He follows me onto the jetty and talks to me all the time. In
16 years, he still hasn't learned to accept that hoomins like to get wet.
He's not afraid of the water. He often sits quite close and watches while I
shower.

One thing he is afraid of is rolled-up newspapers. He was five months old
when he came to me, and had been in two families before me. It had not
"worked out" with one family, and the other discovered their daughter was
allergic. I think the first family may have thought that hitting with a
rolled-up newspaper would be a good way to subdue a young hoolikitten. (
He is 16 now, and he still hasn't forgotten.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Afraid of vaccum? JoJo Cat anecdotes 46 April 14th 04 06:36 PM
It's called FISH food for a reason! Victor Martinez Cat anecdotes 6 January 4th 04 01:09 AM
OT...I have fish!! (Att. Christine and Victor) Gizela Cat anecdotes 20 December 16th 03 06:22 PM
Gizmo and Fish...Kinda OT Gizela Cat anecdotes 7 December 15th 03 01:13 PM