OT...I have fish!! (Att. Christine and Victor)

Old December 11th 03, 10:34 PM
Gizela

Default OT...I have fish!! (Att. Christine and Victor)

As I mentioned in a previous posting I have recently got a tropical fish
tank setup.

I now have fish!! 6 neon tetras, 6 glolite tetras and 6 platies (the guy in
the aquarium shop said that was OK to start with)....he also sold me some
bacterial starter stuff to kickstart the biological filter.

Funny thing...Gizmo isn't intersted....she walked past, looked up, meowed
once then fell asleep next to the tank.

Odd

Purrs

Angela

Old December 11th 03, 11:14 PM
Margaret Fine

Gizela wrote:

As I mentioned in a previous posting I have recently got a tropical fish
tank setup.

I now have fish!! 6 neon tetras, 6 glolite tetras and 6 platies (the guy in
the aquarium shop said that was OK to start with)....he also sold me some
bacterial starter stuff to kickstart the biological filter.

Funny thing...Gizmo isn't intersted....she walked past, looked up, meowed
once then fell asleep next to the tank.

Odd

Purrs

Angela

Congratulations on the new additions! I had a fish tank once. I could
never have another one. My favorite fish kept trying to commit suicide
by jumping out. Even when there was a cover on he managed to get out.
It was a cat fish, by the way. Figures. Anyway, one day I came home and
found that he had succeeded. There he was dead on the floor. So I
decided to give him a "burial at sea" and just as I started to flush he
revived. I tried to scoop him out but it was too late. He swirled
away. I hope he managed to find his way to a river and is even to this
day swimming around and enjoying life. I miss you Mr. Whiskers! I can
laugh at this now but at the time I was horrified that he hated me so
much he preferred death to my company! :-)

As for Gizmo, it is all a ploy. Sure she ACTS uninterested but just
wait until Meowmie's back is turned. It will be surf and turf for
dinner tonight! :-) She is one smart kitty and Oliver admires her
restraint!

Margaret

--
Margaret Fine

Old December 11th 03, 11:19 PM
Gizela

There is no way Gizmo can get them.....lids on the tank and a hood...all
fully enclosed. Nevertheless she will be watched.

Purrs

Angela

"Margaret Fine" wrote in message
link.net...

Old December 11th 03, 11:22 PM
Victor Martinez

Gizela wrote:
I now have fish!! 6 neon tetras, 6 glolite tetras and 6 platies (the guy in
the aquarium shop said that was OK to start with)....he also sold me some
bacterial starter stuff to kickstart the biological filter.

That's way too many fish to start with. Also, platies like brakish
water, while tetras like very soft acidic water. Not the best of
combinations. A good word of advise would be to never listen to the
advise your fish store guys give out. Most of them are either ignorant,
or just want to sell you stuff. If the "bacterial" stuff they sold you
is not Biospira, it's a waste of money. I'm afraid you will kill most of
the fish you've added to your tank.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old December 11th 03, 11:23 PM
Gizela

They don't sell Biospira anywhere here in Australia. I did my own research
and the compnents of Biospira are the same as the stuff I got.

Old December 12th 03, 01:13 AM
Victor Martinez

Gizela wrote:
They don't sell Biospira anywhere here in Australia. I did my own research
and the compnents of Biospira are the same as the stuff I got.

That's pretty much impossible considering the biospira contents are
patented.
I don't mean to sound argumentative, but I get really annoyed at fish
shop employees that give bad advise to new fish owners.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old December 12th 03, 05:11 AM
Marina

"Victor Martinez" wrote
Gizela wrote:
They don't sell Biospira anywhere here in Australia. I did my own

research
and the compnents of Biospira are the same as the stuff I got.

That's pretty much impossible considering the biospira contents are
patented.

They might be patented only for the North American market, or something.
They may be free of patent in Australia.

--
Marina, who knows nothing about fish tanks, so should shut up.

Old December 12th 03, 05:12 AM
Sherry

That's way too many fish to start with. Also, platies like brakish
water, while tetras like very soft acidic water. Not the best of
combinations. A good word of advise would be to never listen to the
advise your fish store guys give out. Most of them are either ignorant,
or just want to sell you stuff. If the "bacterial" stuff they sold you
is not Biospira, it's a waste of money. I'm afraid you will kill most of
the fish you've added to your tank.

--
Victor Martinez

Victor, can I ask you a fish question? (Since the thread is already marked OT)
I love aquariums, but am very much a novice. About a year ago my one betta
died, so I replaced him with 2 guppies. Two guppies quickly turned into *lots*
of guppies. So I kept the original 2 in the 5-gallon tank and boughtt a 10
gallon to put the babies into. Right now there are about 15 babies in the 10
gallon. All of a sudden, both tanks grow algea really quickly, even though I
change the filter often. I can't figure out why this started, even in the tank
with the original 2 fish. . Also, I have worn out all my friends giving them
baby guppies and can't figure out what to do with the rest of them. I know
there are too many in the big tank. The Petsmart fish guy said, buy some
scavengers, but I didn't because I can't see how that's going to make much
difference keeping the tank clean and there are already too many fish. Any
advice appreciated.
Sherry
Old December 12th 03, 05:35 AM
Christine Burel

Gizela wrote:
I now have fish!! 6 neon tetras, 6 glolite tetras and 6 platies (the

guy in
the aquarium shop said that was OK to start with)....he also sold me

some
bacterial starter stuff to kickstart the biological filter.

That's way too many fish to start with. Also, platies like brakish
water, while tetras like very soft acidic water. Not the best of
combinations. A good word of advise would be to never listen to the
advise your fish store guys give out. Most of them are either ignorant,
or just want to sell you stuff. If the "bacterial" stuff they sold you
is not Biospira, it's a waste of money. I'm afraid you will kill most of
the fish you've added to your tank.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he
Email me he

I, too, don't mean to be discouraging but I agree with Victor re the
starting with too many fish part even though you added the bacteria. I
don't know how big your tank is but for a 55-gal tank, the most I ever
started a tank out with was 2 platy-size fish.And then I'd add one or two
slowly over time; it is sort of a eco-balancing game and unfortunately
adding too many fish can throw things off quite easily. It is up to you
but if I were in your shoes I'd call the store back and tell them you feel
you got too many fish initially and would like to return them for store
credit towards future purchases. (One thing to keep in mind is also the
ultimate size of the fish you buy. The rule of thumb is one inch of fish
per gallon of water and it is truly better to err on the underpopulation
size. In my tank, I never had up to the limit of fish allowed in the tank
and it enabled me to keep some of the more difficult to raise fish (clown
loaches) for many years and up to over 6+ inches in length.)
Purrs and best wishes,
Christine

Old December 12th 03, 02:25 PM
Victor Martinez

Marina wrote:
They might be patented only for the North American market, or something.
They may be free of patent in Australia.

True. That is entirely possible.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he