Musings on LA - OT

Old April 1st 04, 06:34 AM
m. L. Briggs

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 19:22:35 -0800, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:

Kreisleriana wrote:

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 08:11:37 +1200, Bev yodeled:

We got on another bus and travelled on, we knew not where.
Got off again and finally decided that Americans did not have public
toilets. We finally found a bar - whew!!! We got a taxi back to Santa
Monica.

It's true-- Americans DON'T have public toilets. It's a major
weakness in American urban planning. But in LA, they don't expect
anyone to ever get out of their cars.

Except at a gas station - and they DO have lavatories for the use of
their customers!

Theresa

Single-mindedness is all very well in cows or baboons; in an animal
claiming to belong to the same species as Shakespeare it is simply disgraceful.
(Aldous Huxley)

When I was a child Salt Lake City had four public toilets -- two for
women and two for men. They were underground and were nicely tiled.
In the beginning they worked, but as time went on they became dirty
and broken and were dangerous places to enter. Eventually they were
closed and covered over. So much for progress.
Old April 1st 04, 07:56 AM
Yowie

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote in
message ...

"Magic Mood Jeep©" wrote:

Back in 1997 I spent a week with my brother in Sacramento, CA, and then

week with a friend in LA. My friend lived 1 block south of Sunset (she
actually lived on Holloway at the time). I strolled up & down several

times
that week, always crossing at a light (few & far between at that point),

and
one time decided to cross over & head back to her place in between those
rare lights. There was a cross walk there (I might add that this was at

the
bottom of a huge hill), so I decided to wait for a break in traffic to
cross. A gentleman joined me in the wait (though we didn't speak), and
after a couple of minutes, ALL FOUR LANES (2 lanes in either direction)

OF
TRAFFIC ****STOPPED**** to let ****2**** people cross the street!!!!! I

was
flabbergasted/stunned/shocked!!!! Here in Bloomington (with the Indiana
University campus nearby) even if you cross at a cross-walk, stop light

or
stop sign or not, you're risking it!!!!

Well actually, California law requires drivers to stop for pedestrians,
once they step into the cross-walk - if there's a cop around, you can
get a ticket if you don't. (But people have grown ruder since I moved
here in the 1950's - it's no longer safe to simply ASSUME the motorists
will stop!)

What do you folks mean by "cross walk"?

The three places pedestrians have right of way and motorists have to stop
here in Australia are either Zebra crossings, a children's school crossing
with the "Lollypop Lady" with a stop sign, or at traffic lights with
pedestrian crossings (which almost all of them have)

We also have "pedestrian islands" which allow pedestrians to cross
multi-lane roads, but cars don't have to give way. It just makes it easier
for the predestrian to cross the road one lane (or one traffic direction) at
a time.

Yowie

Old April 1st 04, 08:40 AM
Yoj

smile I hear (and know) so many bad things about it, I really enjoy
hearing nice things about my home town.

Joy (born in East L.A.)

"Magic Mood Jeep©" wrote in message
Back in 1997 I spent a week with my brother in Sacramento, CA, and

then a
[...]

Also, when I arrived in LA, I took a cab to meet my friend in the

office
building where she worked (it was staffed by MGM employees at the

time, but
was not near the studios - I think it was mostly accountants, lawyers

&
advertising), the cabbie (besides barely speaking English) 1) gave me

too
much change and 2) carried my luggage half way around the building to

the
entrance. When I got inside the building, I was getting ready to take

said
luggage onto the elevators to go to the 14th floor, someone else, a

nice
guy, grabbed my suitcase & DID NOT try to run of with it but actually

HELPED
me on & off the elevator (even though he was going to a different

floor),
and I didn't even ask!!!! A total stranger!!!

Not ALL people in LA are creeps, gangsters or thugs.
--
The ONE and ONLY

former-blonde
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©
http://www.geocities.com/the_magic_mood_jeep/

"Bev" wrote in message
As I make the arrangements for our Alaska cruise I am reminded of

our
first trip overseas and in particular our stay in LA.
We stayed at Santa Monica on the way home from that trip as I wanted

attend a writers' conference held there.

I have never forgotten our trip to downtown LA by bus. From memory,

we
caught a bus that said Sunset Boulevard on the front. Then our

troubles
began. The bus driver hated us on sight. We didn't have the

right
change and he slapped his hand on a box by his seat and snarled at

us.
We couldn't understand what he said and desperately shuffled through
handfuls of alien coins trying to please him. I guess we looked a

bit
odd. We hadn't learned to dress like the locals
(something a traveller should always do when he/she goes away)
I think I was wearing a sun-frock, unheard of in those days in LA

and
John a sports jacket. We also spoke with a funny accent and people
sometimes had trouble understanding us (and we them).

The bus seemed to be travelling all day, people got on and off every

two
minutes and we slowly began to realise the length of Sunset
Boulevarde. What seemed like hours later we thought we might be in
downtown LA so got off. Big mistake. We didn't have a clue where

we
were and badly wanted to use a toilet.

We wandered along, being eyed by a lot of seedy characters and found

garage with a toilet attached. It was locked, tighter than a tomb.
We found the owner, a Mexican man and asked if we could use it. He
smiled at us and said in impeccable upper class English. "I am so
sorry, I do not speak English".

We got on another bus and travelled on, we knew not where.
Got off again and finally decided that Americans did not have public
toilets. We finally found a bar - whew!!! We got a taxi back to

Santa
Monica.

When we left LA we got a taxi to the International airport.
A downy-faced youth appeared in a car that looked as if it had been

used
in the Demolition Derby. He would never have got a Warrant of

Fitness
in New Zealand. He put our cases in the boot (trunk in the US) and

noticed that there was no handle on the boot. "I hope you can get

that
open again" I murmured uneasily. He patted me on the shoulder
soothingly.

At the airport the boot wouldn't open even with the bit of wire he

kept
for a key. Half an hour passed, three quarters of an hour, we

were
getting nervous, were we going to miss the plane. Finally he

kicked
the thing in frustration and presto!!

This will be our fourth trip to the US. Except for the surly bus
driver people there were unfailingly polite and nice to us when we
stumbled around wanting advice and directions. We will be in LA on

the
28th, 29th, 30th and 31st of August and staying in Burbank with my
cousin. Later I will post her addy and phone number if anyone wants

get in touch with us, or visit.

Bev

-
I got rid of my husband. The cat was allergic.

Old April 1st 04, 10:25 AM
Magic Mood Jeep©

Your Zebra crossing would describe it best - but we don't always use the
'zebra' stripes, sometimes just 2 white lines painted across the road,
outlining the 'safe' place to cross a street. Here's some pics of what they
look like in US:
http://www.trans.ci.portland.or.us/T...s/PEDALBUM.HTM
or
http://tinyurl.com/3x2k8

--
The ONE and ONLY
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©
http://www.geocities.com/the_magic_mood_jeep/

u...

Old April 1st 04, 03:07 PM
Kreisleriana

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 04:00:06 GMT, yodeled:

"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote:

There was a cross walk there (I might add that this was at the
bottom of a huge hill), so I decided to wait for a break in traffic to
cross. A gentleman joined me in the wait (though we didn't speak), and
after a couple of minutes, ALL FOUR LANES (2 lanes in either direction) OF
TRAFFIC ****STOPPED**** to let ****2**** people cross the street!!!!! I was
flabbergasted/stunned/shocked!!!! Here in Bloomington (with the Indiana
University campus nearby) even if you cross at a cross-walk, stop light or
stop sign or not, you're risking it!!!!

I think people on the west coast obey traffic laws a little better, and
I have no idea why. This includes pedestrians. I'm from Boston, where
nobody ever obeys a traffic law. The first time I went to Seattle, I too
was flabbergasted, at the way people *actually waited* for the walk light
before crossing, even when there was no traffic on the road. The way that
San Francisco drivers behave at 4-way stop signs amazed me at first -
each person taking their turn, around the interesection, like a little
dance. In Massachusetts, a 4-way stop is often the hub of a 4-way
DEADLOCK, because everyone tries to get into the intersection at the same
time. I'm not sure I could successfully drive in Boston anymore, I've
gone soft from local drivers who actually obey the rules.

Joyce (OK, I admit it, I've broken a traffic law or two in my life. )

I think it's because traffic laws-- INCLUDING jaywalking laws-- are
actually enforced out there. In NYC, crossing the street is a
competitive sport. The last person got a summons for jaywalking in
1642. Of course, we also have people regularly getting mowed down
at intersections.

Theresa
alt.tv.frasier FAQ:
http://www.im-listening.net/FAQ/

Old April 1st 04, 03:12 PM
Kreisleriana

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 16:56:20 +1000, "Yowie"
yodeled:

"Magic Mood Jeep©" wrote:

[...]

Equivalent of a "zebra crossing."

Old April 1st 04, 03:13 PM
Kreisleriana

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 07:40:51 GMT, "Yoj"
yodeled:

smile I hear (and know) so many bad things about it, I really enjoy
hearing nice things about my home town.

Joy (born in East L.A.)

LOL. Did you ever get deported?

Old April 1st 04, 03:30 PM
Adrian

Marina wrote:
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote in

Well actually, California law requires drivers to stop for
pedestrians, once they step into the cross-walk - if there's a cop
around, you can get a ticket if you don't. (But people have grown
ruder since I moved here in the 1950's - it's no longer safe to
simply ASSUME the motorists will stop!)

Oh, that's the law around here too, but no-one ever stops. (

I found stopping for pedestrians in London always seams to get a honk from
the car behind.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy, Milo & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Old April 1st 04, 06:36 PM
Suzanne Thompson

"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote:

[...]

Delurking to add that I'm a Bostonian who once got a jaywalking ticket at
the corner of Boylston and Tremont Streets. I was going to keep the ticket,
but they kept hounding me for the $1 fine so I finally paid up and had to
surrender it. I was in high school at the time, so I didn't want any
trouble.

On the rare occasion that a driver stops for a pedestrian here it's usually
someone in one lane of a two-lane road and the driver in the second lane has
no intention of stopping.

Warning for tourists heading to Boston: I took driving lessons from a
reputable company and when people started crossing the street against the
light the instructor said to me, "Step on the gas, they'll jump out of the
way." Really.

Has anybody out there seen "Wild in the Streets: The Boston Driver's
Handbook"? It's very funny (and mostly true).

Suzanne

Old April 1st 04, 07:19 PM
Kreisleriana

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 15:30:47 +0100, "Adrian"
yodeled:

Marina wrote:
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote in

Well actually, California law requires drivers to stop for
pedestrians, once they step into the cross-walk - if there's a cop
around, you can get a ticket if you don't. (But people have grown
ruder since I moved here in the 1950's - it's no longer safe to
simply ASSUME the motorists will stop!)

Oh, that's the law around here too, but no-one ever stops. (

I found stopping for pedestrians in London always seams to get a honk from
the car behind.

London-- now that's major league traffic.