A question: Why do cats writhe?

Old April 2nd 04, 10:17 PM
John Biltz

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 02:49:19 -0800, Flippy wrote
(in article ):

Hi group,

Okay, I have a question for you. Why do cat's writhe? Sometimes when Chloe
gets outside she immediately heads for concrete, she lays on her back and
starts to writhe around. Any ideas?

Because they can. I mean its almost embarrassing to watch they enjoy it
so much.

Old April 2nd 04, 10:29 PM
Jo Firey

"Flippy" wrote in message
Hi group,

Okay, I have a question for you. Why do cat's writhe? Sometimes when Chloe
gets outside she immediately heads for concrete, she lays on her back and
starts to writhe around. Any ideas?

I really don't know, but they seem to get so much pleasure from it, makes me
wish I could do that too. That as well as the full body stretches they can
manage.

Jo

Old April 3rd 04, 12:32 AM
Yoj

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 19:54:02 GMT, "Yoj"
yodeled:

"Flippy" wrote in message
Hi group,

Okay, I have a question for you. Why do cat's writhe? Sometimes

when
Chloe
gets outside she immediately heads for concrete, she lays on her

back
and
starts to writhe around. Any ideas?

Flippy in Melbourne, Australia.
My Cats: http://www.flippyscatpage.com

My cats do it because I get all gooshy and talk about how cute they

are.
If one is doing it, the other will hear me, come into view, and start
writhing too. I call it "cuteing".

Joy

Stinky is a big voice responder. He's often lounging on a couch or
bed when I walk into the room, and I'lll say something like "Show me
the belly!' and he'll immediately flip over and start wiggling.

There's a particular hassock he likes to roll around on in the
morning, for some reason. He'll get on his back, wiggle around, and
try to grab at me with his paws as I walk back and forth past him.

Theresa

Single-mindedness is all very well in cows or baboons; in an animal
claiming to belong to the same species as Shakespeare it is simply

disgraceful.
(Aldous Huxley)

Skeeter prefers concrete. She'll do it in my concrete driveway, on the
patio, and even on what I call my back porch - a concrete slab about 4 x
5 feet.

--
Joy
Owned and operated by Lindy and Skeeter

Old April 3rd 04, 12:40 AM
Kreisleriana

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 23:32:00 GMT, "Yoj"
yodeled:

Stinky is a big voice responder. He's often lounging on a couch or
bed when I walk into the room, and I'lll say something like "Show me
the belly!' and he'll immediately flip over and start wiggling.

There's a particular hassock he likes to roll around on in the
morning, for some reason. He'll get on his back, wiggle around, and
try to grab at me with his paws as I walk back and forth past him.

Skeeter prefers concrete. She'll do it in my concrete driveway, on the
patio, and even on what I call my back porch - a concrete slab about 4 x
5 feet.

Since Stinky is a Pansy Indoor Cat, he doesn't know concrete. But he
definitely likes to be on a raised surface when he does his wriggling,
because while all that stretching and rolling around may be wonderful,
it would be the absolute best if he could grab my purse out of my hand
or unravel my sweater as I walk by.

As a matter of fact, Stinky doesn't spend all that much time on the
floor.

Old April 3rd 04, 01:20 AM
SUQKRT

In article , "Flippy"
wrote:

Hi group,

Okay, I have a question for you. Why do cat's writhe? Sometimes when Chloe
gets outside she immediately heads for concrete, she lays on her back and
starts to writhe around. Any ideas?

Flippy in Melbourne, Australia.

When Spicey does it she looks happy and playful.
Suz
Macmoosette
Thank Heavens There's Only One

Waiting for inspiration. Please hold while I contemplate my navel.

|\__/|
(=':'=)
(")_(")

Old April 3rd 04, 01:37 AM
Seanette Blaylock

"Flippy" had some very
interesting things to say about A question: Why do cats writhe?:

Okay, I have a question for you. Why do cat's writhe? Sometimes when Chloe
gets outside she immediately heads for concrete, she lays on her back and
starts to writhe around. Any ideas?

Rubbing itchy spots on the back?

--
"Don't mess with major appliances unless you know what you are doing
(or unless your life insurance policy is up-to-date)." - John, RCFL
Old April 3rd 04, 03:40 AM
Magic Mood Jeep©

Then he must be my clone - as I sometime rub MY back on a doorframe to
'scratch' it

--
The ONE and ONLY
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©

"Sumkatz" wrote in message
ll.eu.org...
David Stevenson wrote:
Flippy wrote
Hi group,

Okay, I have a question for you. Why do cat's writhe? Sometimes when

Chloe
gets outside she immediately heads for concrete, she lays on her back

and
starts to writhe around. Any ideas?

Probably the same reason I sometimes scratch my back on a doorframe or
something: it feels good.

You do realize that you're the only person in the world that does this.

miaow

Old April 3rd 04, 05:08 AM
Marina

"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" wrote

Waffles and Francis do it too. Marble's not bothered. My thinking is it

may be
a sort of "dust bath" effect in the same way that birds will have a dust

bath.

Cheers, helen s
(calming Waffles down as she reads of Frank and writhing in the same
sentence...)

Then maybe you shouldn't show her these pictures, she may get too excited.
(Frank is preparing the teleporter as we speak.)

http://tinyurl.com/3b33d

http://tinyurl.com/2psax

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old April 3rd 04, 07:20 AM
Cathi

In message , Marina
writes

"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" wrote

Waffles and Francis do it too. Marble's not bothered. My thinking is it

may be
a sort of "dust bath" effect in the same way that birds will have a dust

bath.

Cheers, helen s
(calming Waffles down as she reads of Frank and writhing in the same
sentence...)

Then maybe you shouldn't show her these pictures, she may get too excited.
(Frank is preparing the teleporter as we speak.)

http://tinyurl.com/3b33d

http://tinyurl.com/2psax

Looks like Frank is saying: "Yeah, baby, YEAH!" in Austin Powers' voice.
--
Cathi
Old April 3rd 04, 07:33 AM
Napoleon

"Flippy" wrote in message ...
Hi group,

Okay, I have a question for you. Why do cat's writhe? Sometimes when Chloe
gets outside she immediately heads for concrete, she lays on her back and
starts to writhe around. Any ideas?

Flippy in Melbourne, Australia.
My Cats: http://www.flippyscatpage.com

I wonder if it is a trait that has become engrained through evolution.
I have seen film of lions in Africa doing the exact same thing and I
wouldn't be surprised if it helps control fleas or other insects in
their fur.

Once I came upon two cats walking "with" each other on a sidewalk at
an apartment where I lived. I have no idea if they were related or
just knew each other, but it was cute just to see them walking around
together outside. There was a small patch of dirt on the sidewalk and
one of them dropped down on his/her side and started that "flipping"
thing they do-laying curled on one side in the dirt, flip over to the
other side, over and over. A couple of times he looked up at me
between flips, seeing me "upside down". The other cat just stopped
and sat upright looking on, occasionally glancing around, occasionally
looking at me, just waiting for the other one to finish. After a
couple of minutes, the one rolling in the dust decided he was
finished, got up and the two of them resumed their "walk" together.