Broken Tail (I think)

Old May 28th 05, 08:45 PM
Elaine Lilly via CatKB.com

Default Broken Tail (I think)

my daughters 3 month old kitten has a cut on his tail and I dont know how
it got there and I think it might be broken. I have no money to take him
to the vet because my mom just died and I had to pay for
everything...please can someone help me on what I can do for him hes
playing and eating but when I try to look at the tail he runs from me and I
cant get a good look at it please help its my daughters kitten that she got
exactilly 2 or 3 weeks after my mom died.
Old May 28th 05, 09:10 PM
Mary

"Elaine Lilly via CatKB.com" wrote in message
my daughters 3 month old kitten has a cut on his tail and I dont know how
it got there and I think it might be broken. I have no money to take him
to the vet because my mom just died and I had to pay for
everything...please can someone help me on what I can do for him hes
playing and eating but when I try to look at the tail he runs from me and

cant get a good look at it please help its my daughters kitten that she

got
exactilly 2 or 3 weeks after my mom died.

Sell your computer and take him to the vet. And do not
get another animal that you cannot or will not take care of.
We are talking about maybe $50 here, and you just paid
for a funeral? Bull****. You know what you should do, you
just don't intend to do it for a mere animal. Ugh.

Old May 28th 05, 09:11 PM
Elle

What are the indications that it's broken?

If it's only a cut, then with one person holding him, have another person
pour hydrogen peroxide into the cut. Thoroughly flush the cut. Then pack
triple-antibiotic ointment (a.k.a. Neosporin, but available generically for
less money) into the cut. Wrap the tail with the cut on it with gauze
bandage and then First Aid adhesive tape.

The cat might benefit from an oral anti-biotic. The above won't ensure there
is no infection.

If it's clearly broken, you could try googling to see how to set it.
Otherwise, keep checking back here; call your local animal shelter; check
with a local vet to see if he/she will let you pay on installment.

Old May 28th 05, 09:27 PM
Noon Cat Nick

"Elaine Lilly via CatKB.com" wrote:

my daughters 3 month old kitten has a cut on his tail and I dont know how
it got there and I think it might be broken. I have no money to take him
to the vet because my mom just died and I had to pay for
everything...please can someone help me on what I can do for him hes
playing and eating but when I try to look at the tail he runs from me and I
cant get a good look at it please help its my daughters kitten that she got
exactilly 2 or 3 weeks after my mom died.

A broken tail can be surgically repaired, but often isn't because it's
an expensive procedure. Also, since it's not a life-threatening
emergency, the chance finding an organization that will help foot the
bill is remote.

The truth is, however, that a broken tail usually heals reasonably well
without treatment. You needn't be so concerned about the tail's
appearance, but if that bothers you, you might try wrapping it in a
stiff bandage to straighten it during healing (if you can get the kitten
to cooperate, that is). Otherwise, you can probably leave the tail
alone. After all, the kitten doesn't seem especially bothered by it.

If you're greatly concerned about the cat's health and would prefer a
veterinarian appointment, go to the vet's office, explain your personal
situation to the vet--not the receptionist, not the nurse, but the
vet--and ask if a payment plan is an acceptable option. Be prepared to
be turned down, of course. But it doesn't cost anything to ask.
Old May 28th 05, 09:34 PM
Elle

"Elle" wrote
If it's only a cut, then with one person holding him, have another person
pour hydrogen peroxide into the cut. Thoroughly flush the cut. Then pack
triple-antibiotic ointment (a.k.a. Neosporin, but available generically

for
less money) into the cut. Wrap the tail with the cut on it with gauze
bandage and then First Aid adhesive tape.

I forgot to add that the above should be repeated once a day. Hold the cat
in the kitchen sink or a bathroom basin when flushing the wound. Backing up
this approach: I had a cat that was hit by a car many years ago. He had a
six-inch long cut down the length of his tail, literally to the bone. The
vet directed me to do the above. (But I'm pretty sure the cat was also
prescribed an anti-biotic.) I think well within a week the wound was clearly
healing and closing beautifully.

The site below shares a lot of other people's experience with broken tails
on their cats:
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/arc...p/t-21581.html

The next site below is for longer term considerations:
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...=2&SourceID=42

Old May 28th 05, 11:28 PM
Joe Canuck

Elaine Lilly via CatKB.com wrote:

my daughters 3 month old kitten has a cut on his tail and I dont know how
it got there and I think it might be broken. I have no money to take him
to the vet because my mom just died and I had to pay for
everything...please can someone help me on what I can do for him hes
playing and eating but when I try to look at the tail he runs from me and I
cant get a good look at it please help its my daughters kitten that she got
exactilly 2 or 3 weeks after my mom died.

Dump your Internet connection for a month or two to pay for the vet visit.
Old May 29th 05, 04:52 AM
Elaine Lilly via CatKB.com

Mary...stfu ok?! and for your info its not my computer LADY!

Old May 29th 05, 04:54 AM
Elaine Lilly via CatKB.com

and for your info Mary my mom passed away on March 30th so but out!

Old May 29th 05, 04:58 AM
Elaine Lilly via CatKB.com

like I told Mary Joe this isnt my computer its the librarys computer then I
go to my uncles house and no I dont like to ask family for money and I am
just too proud to beg so I came here looking for ideas that might help so
please if you dont have nothing nice to say then stfu

Old May 29th 05, 05:00 AM
Elaine Lilly via CatKB.com

oh and Mary I have 2 kittens and I am getting another one because I want
another one and theres nothing that you can do to stop me!!!!!

I found the tip of my cat's tail. Tee Cat health & behaviour 5 February 8th 05 10:15 PM
The Terrible Tail O J Cat anecdotes 9 August 9th 04 03:19 PM
Unusual Tail Swishing CajunPrincess Cat anecdotes 30 July 1st 04 09:36 AM
The Terrible Tail Marina Cat anecdotes 25 May 15th 04 08:26 PM
Another cat tail Julie Cook Cat anecdotes 15 September 26th 03 08:16 PM