A quick checking-in

Old July 8th 07, 12:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn

Default A quick checking-in

Thanks to everyone for their purrs.

I couldn't figure out any help financially, so I did a crazy thing, and
applied for a credit card. Probably put me in debt for life, but at
least I got everything covered for now. Except boxes! I NEED boxes!
Arrgghhhh!

Still only have maybe 12 boxes packed. There are various sizes of empty
boxes all around (and a few full), which, of course, are of great
interest to the cats. Katie had a fun time hiding in one of them last
night. I went to put some more stuff in it, and found her sitting
there, looking up at me with her adorable eyes, and burst out laughing.

I'm walking a few things down as I can (hey, it's only one block down
the alley!), but I'm still looking at everything that needs done, and
going "Arrrrghhhhh!" a lot. As you may have noticed.

Meanwhile, DH thinks it's perfectly okay for him to spend four days at a
gaming convention. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Have to clean out the new place before The Big Move, too. I suppose I
will have to do that, as well. Gripe, grumble, whine.

The cats are not happy today, as it is very hot. I'm not happy, either.
Being a post-menopausal woman, I'm supposed to have hot *flashes*,
right? Nope -- I'm just hot all the time. Which is nice in winter, but
not so much in summer.

Three of my clowder have mats, which I'm slowly trying to work on, with
a mat-breaker, scissors, and a pet shaving kit. Unfortunately, Wolfie
HATES anything resembling being groomed, and if it's around his rear
end, fuhgettaboutit. I apparently touched the wrong place, and Wolfie
(being front declawed when I got him, and thus having no claws at his
disposal to let me know his unhappiness), bit the hell out of me. I
think he got me all the way to the bone. My entire right hand swelled
up badly and was red. Sigh. Cosmo bit me a couple of months ago (he's
*very* touchy and I accidentally touched his belly -- big mistake!), and
I saw the doctor and went on antibiotics. I really didn't want to do it
again. The Internet is your friend -- lol. Found out what to do, and
did it; it's down to just a little spot now, I can move my fingers
without pain, and it looks like my home treatment worked.

I was thinking about planting some trumpet vine at the new place, since
a neighbor in the alley has some, and I've always thought it beautiful.
Once again, the Internet is your friend. It's apparently very
invasive and stubborn, sort of like kudzu. So I guess I'll have to
think of something less nasty.

Ran some things over to the new place this week, just to feel like there
was a bit of me in there. I had a good chance to look around this time,
and it is a bit -- how shall I say -- run-down? But there are things we
can do, I'm sure. I also noticed some stickers on the mirror above the
mantle, which I hadn't noticed originally. This was July 3rd. I
started laughing when I noticed what the stickers were (they were both
the same): a cat in a 4th of July hat! It's a sign!

Anyway, I am up to reading at least the main posts through June 30th;
I'll start with July 1st when I can. In the meanwhile, purrs and
congrats going out where needed.

Ginger-lyn
gotta run -- cats are hungry, and laundry needs done, and boxes need
packed, and I *still* can't see through the mess in the basement --
Arrrrghhhhhhhh!
Old July 8th 07, 12:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Ginger-lyn wrote:

Thanks to everyone for their purrs.

I couldn't figure out any help financially, so I did a crazy thing, and
applied for a credit card. Probably put me in debt for life, but at
least I got everything covered for now. Except boxes! I NEED boxes!
Arrgghhhh!

Go to liquor stores, supermarkets, etc - they're always throwing out
boxes. Also, if you have a local Freecycle, you could post on there
that you need boxes - someone's always just moved and has a bunch to
get rid of. (If you don't know how to access Freecycle, give me the
name of your city and I'll find it for you.)

Joyce
Old July 8th 07, 01:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Ginger-lyn" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

Ginger-lyn, if you need boxes, go to www.freecycle.org. You should be able
to find a subdivision of the organization in your area. Signing up is free
and it doesn't obligate you to anything. Then post a message saying
"WANTED - boxes" (with your town or zip code in parentheses. In the
explanation part of the message, say what size or type of boxes you need.
Actually, before you do that, scan the current messages. People on
freecycle often post that they are giving away boxes.

Wishing you the best of luck with everything.

Joy

Old July 8th 07, 01:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mishi

On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 23:29:47 GMT, Ginger-lyn
wrote:

[...]

For large boxes, go to furniture stores - I work in one and we are
always getting dressers, etc in boxes. They come in handy at times!
Old July 8th 07, 01:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Ginger-lyn wrote:
Thanks to everyone for their purrs.

I couldn't figure out any help financially, so I did a crazy thing,
and applied for a credit card. Probably put me in debt for life, but
at least I got everything covered for now. Except boxes! I NEED
boxes! Arrgghhhh!

Two words about boxes: Liquor Store. The ones with the inserts to separate
the bottles are particularly handy for glassware and other small breakable
items. Get lots of freebie newsflyer type papers to wrap stuff in.
Otherwise just remove those inserts and pack stuff. The boxes are of
manageable size and have build-in fingerholds for carrying. I always tried
to get stuff into too-large boxes then couldn't carry them.

Still only have maybe 12 boxes packed. There are various sizes of
empty boxes all around (and a few full), which, of course, are of
great interest to the cats. Katie had a fun time hiding in one of
them last night. I went to put some more stuff in it, and found her
sitting there, looking up at me with her adorable eyes, and burst out
laughing.

LOL But of course! It's a box! What else was Katie supposed to do?!

I'm walking a few things down as I can (hey, it's only one block down
the alley!), but I'm still looking at everything that needs done, and
going "Arrrrghhhhh!" a lot. As you may have noticed.

Meanwhile, DH thinks it's perfectly okay for him to spend four days
at a gaming convention. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Uh oh! I would not be a happy camper.

Have to clean out the new place before The Big Move, too. I suppose I
will have to do that, as well. Gripe, grumble, whine.

The new landlord won't do that? Clean and paint and so on before you get
settled in? John is a landlord (much as he hates it) and he always takes
care of that first. And trust me, he's not charging much for these small
apartments in old Victorian houses. But he cleans them up.

I was thinking about planting some trumpet vine at the new place,
since a neighbor in the alley has some, and I've always thought it
beautiful. Once again, the Internet is your friend. It's
apparently very
invasive and stubborn, sort of like kudzu. So I guess I'll have to
think of something less nasty.

Yeah, be careful of climbing vines. They are gorgeous (I love the look of
Wisteria) but they do indeed take over everything they can.

Ran some things over to the new place this week, just to feel like
there was a bit of me in there. I had a good chance to look around
this time, and it is a bit -- how shall I say -- run-down? But there
are things we can do, I'm sure. I also noticed some stickers on the
mirror above the mantle, which I hadn't noticed originally. This was
July 3rd. I started laughing when I noticed what the stickers were
(they were both the same): a cat in a 4th of July hat! It's a sign!

G Of course it is!

Old July 8th 07, 01:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Ginger-lyn" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

Trumpet vine is not nearly as invasive as Kudzu (which is *really* nasty
stuff). You can prune trumpet vine down to the base in the fall/winter if
it begins to get too large, but it usually only needs a little top pruning
to keep it in line. It does need good sun to bloom well, and the orange
variety is much sturdier (and prettier, in my opinion) that the yellow.

MaryL

Old July 8th 07, 03:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jul 7, 6:29 pm, Ginger-lyn wrote:
[...]

Moving purrs! I always hated moving. The bright side is, it always
made
me get rid of clutter. We usually hit liquor stores for boxes. Since
they're
made for glass bottles, they're very sturdy.
I've been thinking about planting a vining plant, too! Trumpet vine
can be
controlled if you stay after it and whack it back often. Honeysuckle
is a nice one, too, but it also needs to be kept under control. I
bought
a Carolina Jessamine (jasmine) and had to take it back--turns out
they're
bee-toxic and also contaminate honey. Toxic to kids & pets too.
Anyway, good luck with the move.
ahem.... since you're catching up on posts, please don't miss
the new pictures of my babies. :-)

Sherry

Old July 11th 07, 09:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

Ginger-lyn wrote:
Thanks to everyone for their purrs.

I couldn't figure out any help financially, so I did a crazy thing, and
applied for a credit card. Probably put me in debt for life, but at
least I got everything covered for now. Except boxes! I NEED boxes!
Arrgghhhh!

Still only have maybe 12 boxes packed. snip
Ginger-lyn
gotta run -- cats are hungry, and laundry needs done, and boxes need
packed, and I *still* can't see through the mess in the basement --
Arrrrghhhhhhhh!

Lots of purrs and best wishes for everything to go well with the move,
Polonca and Soncek

Checking In CatNipped Cat anecdotes 34 July 3rd 06 10:00 PM
Just Checking Adrian Cat anecdotes 1 October 18th 05 08:23 PM
Checking in... M Elizabeth Cat anecdotes 18 September 19th 05 04:55 AM
Checking in... Cwazy Zachy :) Cat health & behaviour 0 September 14th 05 07:16 PM
Just checking Duke of URL Cat anecdotes 20 June 17th 04 03:03 PM