Thinking about adopting

Old July 5th 08, 02:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stan Brown

Default Milo is home now ( Thinking about adopting)

Thanks for everyone for your advice. I'll try to post pictures when I
can. (Milo is a one-year-old neutered male gray/brown tabby. I had
thought he had no claws, but I found out yesterday that he does still
have them. No, I'm not even thinking about having him declawed.)

I picked Milo up yesterday and we got home around 4 PM. I was
curious to see how he'd adapt.

Well, he is *not* one of those cats that hide under the bed for the
first few weeks. He prowled around (exploring, not angry),
occasionally flopping down on the floor for a few minutes or sitting
in a window for a few minutes. He was fascinated with the neighbors
doing yard work. I let him do what he wanted, but frequently when I
saw him I spoke to him or petted him.

I showed him the litter box in the basement, and he used it
immediately. This morning I sifted out three clumps, so it looks like
he has also used it when not supervised.

It was about three hours after we got home that he finally jumped
spontaneously into my lap. But after a few minutes he was in
"explorer mode" again.

Around 9 PM we were both ready for sleep, but he was not happy with
all the firecrackers in the neighborhood. Every time he settled down
on my bed another series started off, and he'd jump to the window
sill to investigate -- using my pillow as a launching pad. :-) Of
course I talked to him and petted him a lot.

This morning when I woke up he was on my bed asleep, and since then
he's been alternating cat naps with prowling around inspecting the
house. I was watching TV at one point, and he came over making a
particular noise that I think is his "pick me up!" signal, because
when I did he snuggled right in and started purring.

I think we're going to be just fine together. I still need to get
him a scratching post and something to climb on.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

Old July 5th 08, 04:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
t...
[...]

Milo sounds GREAT! And you sound like a great cat companion.

We clip claws once a month or so, and you have had cats before,
but have you ever had an Alpin Scratcher? Every cat I have ever
known loved these, and preferred to scratch them over anything
else. You can get them at PetsSmart or any pet supply place:

http://www.cosmicpet.com/scratchers.htm

Here's to a long and happy friendship for you and Milo!

Old July 6th 08, 05:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stan Brown

Sat, 5 Jul 2008 11:51:45 -0400 from cybercat :
Milo sounds GREAT! And you sound like a great cat companion.

:-)

We clip claws once a month or so, and you have had cats before,
but have you ever had an Alpin Scratcher? Every cat I have ever
known loved these, and preferred to scratch them over anything
else. You can get them at PetsSmart or any pet supply place:

http://www.cosmicpet.com/scratchers.htm

This is very timely. I visited Petsmart today, but forgot my coupons
so I didn't buy anything. I don't know yet whether he's susceptible
to catnip, but that scratcher looks like a good bet to try.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
Old July 6th 08, 04:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lesley

On 5 Jul, 21:41, Stan Brown wrote:

but that scratcher looks like a good bet to try.

My cats wouldn't use a conventional scratching post (apart from to stand on so they could reach the back of the armchair to scratch that!) but when introduced to a Cosmic cat scratcher -which is something like the Alpine only not sloped they were straight in with no hesitation and have used them ever since

Of course this is typical for cats- the damn things aren't made in the
UK, the first few I got were part of a job lot that the local pet
store got and sold off cheaply and I have since managed to get half a
dozen or so from Ebay, which were nothing like as cheap and I am down
to my last one so I am going to have to start searching again

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old July 6th 08, 04:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Lesley" wrote in message
On 5 Jul, 21:41, Stan Brown wrote:

but that scratcher looks like a good bet to try.

My cats wouldn't use a conventional scratching post (apart from to stand
on so they could reach the back of the armchair to scratch that!) but when
introduced to a Cosmic cat scratcher -which is something like the Alpine
only not sloped they were straight in with no hesitation and have used
them ever since

Of course this is typical for cats- the damn things aren't made in the
UK, the first few I got were part of a job lot that the local pet
store got and sold off cheaply and I have since managed to get half a
dozen or so from Ebay, which were nothing like as cheap and I am down
to my last one so I am going to have to start searching again

Lesley

If you want, you can email me privately and I will pick one up for you and
send it on, you
can reimburse for shipping and cost. I got a slanted scratcher (Alpine
brand) at Petsmart
for $10 last week. They are very light, I don't know how much shipping would
be but
we could figure it out with a shipping calculator. I am in Raleigh, NC.
Might be cheaper
to ship two. Anyway, if you are interested, just let me know. Everything
here is very
convenient and retail is down so low, things are cheap too. (The Alpine used
to be
$13.)

Old July 7th 08, 05:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

We clip claws once a month or so, and you have had cats before,
but have you ever had an Alpin Scratcher? Every cat I have ever
known loved these, and preferred to scratch them over anything
else. You can get them at PetsSmart or any pet supply place:

http://www.cosmicpet.com/scratchers.htm

Here's to a long and happy friendship for you and Milo!

I second the Alpine Scratcher. When I socialized cats at the shelter,
nearly every cat loved this scratcher. It was a popular item.
Old July 8th 08, 12:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stan Brown

Sun, 6 Jul 2008 00:41:49 -0400 from Stan Brown
:
Sat, 5 Jul 2008 11:51:45 -0400 from cybercat :
but have you ever had an Alpin Scratcher? Every cat I have ever
known loved these, and preferred to scratch them over anything
else. You can get them at PetsSmart or any pet supply place:

http://www.cosmicpet.com/scratchers.htm

This is very timely. I visited Petsmart today, but forgot my coupons
so I didn't buy anything. I don't know yet whether he's susceptible
to catnip, but that scratcher looks like a good bet to try.

Petsmart didn't have an Alpine brand, but something similar. Milo
didn't scratch it that much, but he licked it quite a lot trying to
get the catnip out.

He was *very* laid back the rest of the evening.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...