taking a cat in

Old August 8th 03, 07:49 PM
Sherry

Do not take her to the "humane" society unless you want her killed.

Depends on the "humane" society. Humane Societies deal with the quandary this
poster is in every day. From the description of this cat, it would not be
euthanized at ours. Unless you are talking about municipal animal control
facilities ("pounds"). Humane Societies generally are independent, do not have
a "rule" that dictates how long an animal can stay. Even those that *do*
euthanize, relinquishers can leave an animal with a "call before euthanasia"
clause, and they can pick the animal up. The only real advantage to leaving the
cat there, though, would be a wider audience of prospective adoptors. If at all
possible, it's much better for Kitty to stay in the home, though

Sherry
Old August 8th 03, 10:26 PM
Cheryl

"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" wrote in
:

Did I make a mistake taking this cat in? Should I let her out again
and hope that she finds her real home? I'm sure she must have one,
because she doesn't have any mattes and her fur is so long she would
definitely get matted. She's very quiet and has not even meowed once.
I'm waiting to check her out to see if she has been declawed.

So, once again, what do I do now?

I think you did a wonderful thing. It sounds like a beautiful cat and
definitely owned. You're doing all the right things to find its family and
that kitty wandered up to the right house.

--
Cheryl

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti.

Old August 11th 03, 03:11 PM
Jim Wild

Finding a possible owner is a good start. Posting lost cat signs around
the neighborhood is a good idea. Then take it to the vet for a routine
check up. If you have established that you want to give it a home, this
will be an expense at the vet. Problems could arise like fleas, worms,
mites. They will also check for AIDS and lukemia. A couple shots later,
you have a new buddy. But don't be so cruel as to declaw him. Look it up
online, it's a terrible thing. Besides, most good natured cats will mind
there claws. My cat makes me bleed a few times a week just in innocent
playing. Thats better than chopping off his feet. Ever since I have been
coming to these groups, I am dead set against declawing. Look it up, it
ain't pretty.

Old August 11th 03, 03:27 PM
Jim Wild

They mirco-chip cats? Sort of a kitty Low-Jack. I wonder if you can hot
wire a cat? Do they ever get transmission problems? I"ve never heard of
that, thats interesting. I hope they don't put a chip under thier skin.
A chip in the collar would work. In this day and age maybe our children
should have a braclet or a ring with a chip. Well, at least in
California.

Old August 12th 03, 04:34 AM
MacCandace

I hope they don't put a chip under thier skin.
A chip in the collar would work. In this day and age maybe our children

No, it goes under the skin, in a uniform place. The chip is so small that it
doesn't cause problems and they can shoot them in real easily. No worse than a
shot. If it was on the collar, it wouldn't do any good if the collar came off.
My indoor cats aren't microchipped although they do wear collars. I have
thought about microchipping, though.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace