Clawing Ritual question & update

Old August 12th 03, 01:00 PM
Angela

Default Clawing Ritual question & update

Some of you might remember my semi feral kittens Dobby (formerly Shirkan) and
Cajun. In any event, I have noted a strange ritual. Every am, when I get up,
the very first thing that Dobster does is run straight to the scratching post
and claw it. He does it every day. We did not train them to use the sisal post,
they did it on their own, and when they used to be caged at night, the first
thing they did in the am when allowed out was run for the post. Is his post
clawing as soon as he sees me a dominant thing? A submissive thing? We have
never treated them for using the post, though we do throw in a "good kitten"
word now or then, so he's not doing it for praise. (prefers I don't talk to
him, that makes him look worried.)

They are doing great, growing into handsome boys, and insisting on being petted
more and more often. (Especially my dh, who they have a preference for) Dobby
still flees in terror if someone walks up to him, but we just walk quietly,
talking to him and explaining we are not chasing.

I continue to work on the "touch" command, where they touch my hand with their
nose, and are then allowed to retreat. (no force, just me holding my hand near
them and saying touch. Part of the time they are fed cat treats) Even when
frightened, they do this willingly, and quite often will decide to press their
ears against my hand for an ear rub. Cajun will usually then make a cat flop
and insist on being petted for half an hour.

It has been an adventure watching them grow into cats, and become more
socialized, all on their terms. They enjoy life on their own terms, not mine,
and that's okay even though sometimes I feel sad when they run from me, but
stay for Dh. Strange critters..

Angela (Aol.com doesn't hop!)

www.rabbitadoption.org Rabbits & small animals for adoption--worldwide links,
including vet referrals & other rescues, care tips, mail order products, etc.
Old August 12th 03, 07:44 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Angela at
op wrote on 8/12/03 7:00 AM:

Some of you might remember my semi feral kittens Dobby (formerly Shirkan) and
Cajun. In any event, I have noted a strange ritual. Every am, when I get up,
the very first thing that Dobster does is run straight to the scratching post
and claw it. He does it every day. We did not train them to use the sisal
post,
they did it on their own, and when they used to be caged at night, the first
thing they did in the am when allowed out was run for the post. Is his post
clawing as soon as he sees me a dominant thing? A submissive thing? We have
never treated them for using the post, though we do throw in a "good kitten"
word now or then, so he's not doing it for praise. (prefers I don't talk to
him, that makes him look worried.)

I think they just like to scratch and stretch first thing in the morning
just like we do because it feels good. Mine do it too. It's also why it is
advised to put posts near their sleeping places.

[...]

Thanks for the update!
Karen