Pet Food Poison Lawsuit blames Excessive Vitamin D

Old March 22nd 07, 01:08 AM posted to misc.consumers,rec.pets.dogs.misc,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.community
War on Globalization

Default Pet Food Poison Lawsuit blames Excessive Vitamin D

$50M lawsuit filed against pet food company
http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/200...d-lawsuit.html

Another big pet-food manufacturerÂ*is accused of selling tainted food
in Canada that has allegedly killed some animals and made others sick,
CBC News has learned.

A $50-million class-action lawsuit was filed Tuesday in Toronto against
Royal Canin - a multibillion-dollar French company that supplies the
Canadian pet-food market.

The*lawsuit seeks compensation for anyone who has purchased
Royal Canin dog or cat food since Aug. 1, 2004.

The lawsuit has yet to be certified. None of the claims have been proven in court.

News of the*lawsuit follows a North America-wide recall issued Friday*by
Ontario-based*Menu Foods, and involving*91 different kinds of dog and cat
food, after the U.S. Food and Drug Administration received complaints
the food was causing kidney failure in animals.

Toronto lawyer Joel Rochon told CBC News*on Tuesday that
the class-action lawsuit is based on the case of Whitby, Ont.,
pet owner Janet Grixti, whose chocolate lab Mocha*is alleged
to have suffered permanent kidney damage after eating Royal Canin
dog food.

"He is a very young dog, and now he will have this costly
condition for the rest of his life," Grixti said Tuesday in a release.

Company issued recall

The lawsuit alleges*that certain types of Royal Canin cat and dog food
contain excessive amounts of Vitamin D, which cause severe illness or
death in pets.

"The allegation is that the problem persists even today," Rochon said.

The company recalled some of its products last summer and offered
to pay a portion of Grixti's $40,000 veterinarian bill, Rochon*said,*
but his client is not satisfied.*

Rochon also said he is considering filing another lawsuit after getting
calls from angry pet owners who*allege their animals got sick or died
after eating Menu Foods products.

"From what we can tell, there's a segment of the pet food supply
here in Canada that just doesn't have adequate quality assurance
associated with it and that's a big concern," he said.

Royal Canin wasn't available to comment on the lawsuit.

Menu Foods has also refused to return calls since allegations surfaced
Monday that its food had killed a cat in Canada.

Check soy milk and other products for excessive amounts
of vitamin D additives to avoid possible kidney stones/ kidney failure.
http://www.google.com/search?q=exces...tamin+D+kidney

Old March 22nd 07, 01:27 AM posted to misc.consumers,rec.pets.dogs.misc,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.community
Buddy's Mom

So, I have been feeding my cat Royal Canin dry food to avoid the wet
food problem and now you are telling me this is a problem
too????????????????????

$50M lawsuit filed against pet food companyhttp://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2007/03/20/pet-food-lawsuit.html* *

Old March 22nd 07, 02:56 AM posted to misc.consumers,rec.pets.dogs.misc,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.community
Sylvia M

Royal Canin is also sold in the US.
I know that Petco carries it, and also some privatly owned pet stores.
It was recommended by the breeder of my Maine Coon.

War on Globalization wrote:
$50M lawsuit filed against pet food company
http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/200...d-lawsuit.html

Another big pet-food manufacturer is accused of selling tainted food

Old March 22nd 07, 09:27 AM posted to misc.consumers,rec.pets.dogs.misc,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.community
IBen Getiner

On Mar 21, 7:08�pm, War on Globalization wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that article. I was wondering how long it would be before
"victims" began popping up and jumping on the money-wagon. It always
amazes me to see just how quickly people will act on the first hint of
the odor of money. And blood.
I wonder if this problem includes the Old Roy that I feed my bird
dog? She's a good dog and a fine hunter, too. Best quail dog I've ever
seen. Better not be sick...... She's too old for a kidney problem now.

IBen

Old March 22nd 07, 03:18 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.pets.dogs.misc,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.community
[email protected]

On Mar 22, 1:27 am, "IBen Getiner" wrote:
[...]

IBen- Hide quoted text -

They put a posting on their website, at http://www.royalcanin.ca.

This was something that happened on only 7 wet diets in their vet
channel last year in early 2006. Funny how it's popping up now. The
media can be terrible!

I was so happy with the way Royal Canin handled their recall last
year. My cat was sick for a while after eating one of the diets, but
got better within a few weeks and the company covered all my vet
bills. Since then, no problems at all. I've been feeding RC ever since
and my cat loves it. My dog (a German Shepherd) has done so well on
their retail breed diet, it's unbelievable. I am appalled at how the
media twists facts for a 'juicy' story.

Old March 22nd 07, 05:28 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.pets.dogs.misc,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.community
Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/200...lawsuit.html??

They put a posting on their website, at http://www.royalcanin.ca.

This was something that happened on only 7 wet diets in their vet
channel last year in early 2006. Funny how it's popping up now. The
media can be terrible!

I was so happy with the way Royal Canin handled their recall last year.
My cat was sick for a while after eating one of the diets, but
got better within a few weeks and the company covered all my vet bills.

Since the recall last year was only in the vet channels
you must have let some vet charge you for feeding your
cat poisoned food. You're either stupid, a liar, or RC had
two recalls last year. Which is it?

Since then, no problems at all. I've been feeding RC ever since
and my cat loves it. My dog (a German Shepherd) has done so well on
their retail breed diet, it's unbelievable.

Sounds to me like you like it too.

I am appalled at how the media twists facts for a 'juicy' story.

Ignorance is bliss.

Old March 22nd 07, 08:14 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.pets.dogs.misc,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.community
[email protected]

On Mar 22, 9:28 am, Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
wrote:
humanepetlo... wrote:

[...]

Ignoranceis bliss.

Your aggression over such a sensitive topic is hard to understand and
quite disturbing. This group is designed for concerned pet owners,
talking about the health of their pets. Do you even have a pet? Or do
you simply come in here to vent your own misguided emotions? Shame on
you.

Old March 22nd 07, 09:23 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.pets.dogs.misc,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.community
Fred

wrote:
humanepetlo... wrote:

[...]

Messages like this, crossposted to many groups and extolling the virtues of
corporations shown to have been at fault for various things, are usually a
cross between spam and outright propaganda. They are also usually and
insult to the intelligence of the average human, and certainly beneath cats
and maybe even dogs.
When called on it, the propagandists usually play the "aggression" card
accusing the accuser of things like "misguided emotions." It's a pattern
that is not only recognizable to seasoned newsgroup users, but it's like a
fingerprint in identifying corporate propaganda. The propagandists usually
have a litle booklet somewhere telling them what to do in certain
situations. The pattern is so recognizable because they all use the same
book.

--
Regards, Fred