dissolving teeth?

Old November 10th 03, 09:54 AM
Elizabeth

Default dissolving teeth?

Hi all

Long time no see!

I'm trying to find out more info about dissolving teeth - anyone had this
problem with their furbabies? We recently went to a new vet (the cats
haven't been seen for over a year) and after having perfect teeth for their
first three years, Karahi now has some gingivitis and some of her teeth are
dissolving (one's completely gone).

The vet said it's a more and more common thing they're seeing and they don't
know what the reason is, but vets assume it's to do with a far less-wild
lifestyle, so think it's down to domestication.

Nang has shown no signs of it. I'm just starting a hunt for info online, but
thought I'd ask here first (and say hello).

Regards

Elizabeth
Karahi & Penang

Old November 10th 03, 01:55 PM
fuga =^o^=

My cat fuga had that a few years. I'm not sure what the cause is but I
would interested to hear what you find out. Fuga has two teeth that were
doing that so the vet pulled them out she said it was uncomfortable.

Fuga

Old November 10th 03, 03:54 PM
Mary

The vet said it's a more and more common thing they're seeing and they don't
know what the reason is, but vets assume it's to do with a far less-wild
lifestyle, so think it's down to domestication.

Hmm, I adopted a teeth who had no teeth, just exposed roots and 4 fangs. The
vet said it looked like they rotted out. He was 18. They pulled the roots and
he was fine. A year later he long one fang. Maybe he had dissolving teeth?
Old November 10th 03, 05:51 PM
Hopitus2

Our vet uses the term, "missing" teeth. Long ago, I was told that when our
teeth hurt, we go to the dentist and get treatment, but since animals are
unable to do this, their bad teeth eventually just come out on their own. I
never heard of dissolving teeth till you posted this.

:

Old November 11th 03, 12:30 AM
Elizabeth

"Hopitus2" wrote in message
Our vet uses the term, "missing" teeth. Long ago, I was told that when our
teeth hurt, we go to the dentist and get treatment, but since animals are
unable to do this, their bad teeth eventually just come out on their own.

never heard of dissolving teeth till you posted this.

Yeah the vet specifically said dissolving, not bad teeth coming out, but
perfectly healthy teeth just dissolving. One of them is currently in the
process, it's a little stump at the moment and another has already gone.

I'll post back here if I find out anything more but the vet did say that
no-one seems to know the precise cause.

Elizabeth

Old November 11th 03, 04:33 PM
Marina

"Elizabeth" wrote

Long time no see!

Indeed! Nice to see you again, Elizabeth. Sorry I have no info on dissolving
teeth. Frank just has very bad teeth, and has to have them cleaned once in a
while, but not dissolving teeth.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki