Spicey's pancreatitis

Old July 1st 15, 01:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rusty[_2_]

Default Spicey's pancreatitis

On Tuesday, June 30, 2015 at 10:06:17 PM UTC-4, Takayuki wrote:
On Mon, 29 Jun 2015 10:29:36 -0700 (PDT), Rusty wrote:
I am so sorry to hear this.
My RB cat Rusty was diagnosed with pancreatitis by a blood test.
He vomit regularly and the vet said he was in pain.
Rusty was put on a morphine patch and had IV fluid.
The vet put him on a special diet of duck cat food which he loved.
The theory was that duck is a 'novel protein' to most cats and
he might had an allergy to the protein source in his old prescription cat food.
Rusty wanted to eat all the time, probably in an attempt to sooth his tummy.
But he was skin and bones and his vomit got to be more than once daily.
Finally I couldn't bear seeing him like that and sent him to RB.
Rusty lived to 16 years old.
He was always a sickly cat, since he was 2 and went on a prescription diet
for the rest of his life.
Two weeks ago was the anniversary of Rusty's adoption

I didn't meant to upset you, but just want to share my experience with
feline pancreatitis. The vet told me there is no cure, just control.

Winnie

Eeeps! Yes, it does seem to be serious, but 16 is a surprisingly long age
for a cat that hasn't been well since he was 2. He must've been so loved.

Rusty wasn't continually sick.
He had recurring urinary blockage or crystals since he was 2,
despite being on prescription food.
On the whole he wasn't in robust health for most of his life.
We went to the vet quite frequently, especially in his later years.
I was grateful to have him for so long.

Winnie

Old July 1st 15, 01:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 6/30/2015 10:16 PM, Takayuki wrote:

The prognosis from TED sounded poor this weekend, and Spicey seemed so weak
and limp, that I was convinced she wouldn't last the week. I felt a wash of
sadness and guilt that after so many years, I'd forgotten I was capable of.

But there was a bright spot - Spicey's vet told me that she'd perked up
today, and has been eating a little bit of food throughout the day! This
was unexpected good news, and I'm permitting myself to think and hope that
maybe - maybe she'll pull through and have another year or two or three
with me and the rest of her kitty family.

Purrs continue for Spicey and for you, too, of course.

Jill
Old July 1st 15, 03:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Wed, 1 Jul 2015 00:41:52 -0400, "JJ" wrote:
Purrs and good wishes!

Thanks Jay.
Old July 1st 15, 03:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Wed, 1 Jul 2015 04:33:44 -0700 (PDT), Rusty wrote:
Good to hear that. Did the vet said whether Spicey could come home if she
continue to improve? She probably rather be home than stay at the vet clinic.
Is she eating prescription food?
Rusty was never hospitalized after his diagnosis.
He was a different cat at the vet clinic.

Sending get well wishes to Spicey.
Winnie

Well, I talked to them again this morning, and they say that now Spicey
appears to be really ****ed off and attacking them, so I'm almost a bit
afraid to bring her home!
Old July 1st 15, 04:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 7/1/2015 10:07 AM, Takayuki wrote:
On Wed, 1 Jul 2015 04:33:44 -0700 (PDT), Rusty wrote:
Good to hear that. Did the vet said whether Spicey could come home if she
continue to improve? She probably rather be home than stay at the vet clinic.
Is she eating prescription food?
Rusty was never hospitalized after his diagnosis.
He was a different cat at the vet clinic.

Sending get well wishes to Spicey.
Winnie

Well, I talked to them again this morning, and they say that now Spicey
appears to be really ****ed off and attacking them, so I'm almost a bit
afraid to bring her home!

Sounds like she's getting back to her hornery self. This is a good sign!

Purrs continue.

Jill
Old July 1st 15, 09:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Wed, 01 Jul 2015 17:38:42 +0100, Judith Latham
wrote:
She must be feeling better. I'm sure she'll be fine when she's back home
with you all. Fingers crossed.

Judith

She seems to be recovering, which I'm delighted about! She's not 100%, but
definitely doing much better than I or they expected. They're planning to
keep her for another day at TED before sending her home.
Old July 1st 15, 10:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rusty[_2_]

On Wednesday, July 1, 2015 at 10:06:46 AM UTC-4, Takayuki wrote:
On Wed, 1 Jul 2015 04:33:44 -0700 (PDT), Rusty wrote:
Good to hear that. Did the vet said whether Spicey could come home if she
continue to improve? She probably rather be home than stay at the vet clinic.
Is she eating prescription food?
Rusty was never hospitalized after his diagnosis.
He was a different cat at the vet clinic.

Sending get well wishes to Spicey.
Winnie

Well, I talked to them again this morning, and they say that now Spicey
appears to be really ****ed off and attacking them, so I'm almost a bit
afraid to bring her home!

Maybe she was just mad about being confined in a cage at a strange place
with all the medicinal smell and among other animals.
Rusty was a terror when he was at the vet and attacked people.
But once home, he was his usual mild manner self right away, as if a button was switched off.
He developed a bad reputation at the vet clinic.
So it may be the same with Spicey.
Hope she can come home soon.

Winnie
Old July 2nd 15, 08:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Takayuki" wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 18:46:34 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
I hope your fears are unjustified. Pancreatis is a very severe illness.
had a whippet who had it once at aged 10. I truly thought I would lose her
because she was so ill (and so did the vet) but she did recover although
it
took some time. In humans it is often caused through alcohol addiction
and
is equally serious. I'm not sure how animals get it.
I am hoping very much that Spicey recovers, I feel like I know her and I
kind of love that more than difficult girl.

Tweed
(fond of difficult cats and dogs)

The prognosis from TED sounded poor this weekend, and Spicey seemed so
weak
and limp, that I was convinced she wouldn't last the week. I felt a wash
of
sadness and guilt that after so many years, I'd forgotten I was capable
of.

But there was a bright spot - Spicey's vet told me that she'd perked up
today, and has been eating a little bit of food throughout the day! This
was unexpected good news, and I'm permitting myself to think and hope that
maybe - maybe she'll pull through and have another year or two or three
with me and the rest of her kitty family.

I am now cautiously optimistic about Spicey. Pearl recovered so maybe
Spicey will. It was a long haul though so be prepared for ups and downs.
The vet held out no hope at one time and even offered euthanasia. I said
no. She got better and lived happily for another 3 years when she got bone
cancer. That time I said yes :-(
I hope Spicey is able to stay with you and her kitty family for many more
years. You are the best thing that ever happened to her.

Tweed

Old July 2nd 15, 09:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Takayuki" wrote in message
On Wed, 1 Jul 2015 04:33:44 -0700 (PDT), Rusty wrote:
Good to hear that. Did the vet said whether Spicey could come home if she
continue to improve? She probably rather be home than stay at the vet
clinic.
Is she eating prescription food?
Rusty was never hospitalized after his diagnosis.
He was a different cat at the vet clinic.

Sending get well wishes to Spicey.
Winnie

Well, I talked to them again this morning, and they say that now Spicey
appears to be really ****ed off and attacking them, so I'm almost a bit
afraid to bring her home!

Reminds me of Rebel, my more than difficult German Shepherd. I once had to
bop him on the head with a saucepan because he tried to attack me. That
worked.
He got annoyed by being left in the car (briefly) and broke into the glove
compartment where there was some seed (big cabbages for goats and cattle)
that we'd just bought so he got that out and threw it all over the car. And
must have eaten some. We had no clue that it had been treated with
strychinine against birds until he started to have fits when we returned
home.
We rushed him to the vets. It was touch and go. We knew he was getting
better after 2 days in hospital when he rose up and offered his teeth to the
vet in an enormous snarl. The vet said "I think he is better and you can
take him home."
Sounds like Spicey is improving too..

Tweed
always up to taking on the cats/dogs with a bad temper

Old July 2nd 15, 09:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Rusty" wrote in message
[...]

So do I, but don't think Spicey could ever be described as "mild mannered"
!!