OT The bears are awake

Old March 28th 15, 07:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mike Mayers

Default OT The bears are awake

This morning a neighbor was walking his dogs and saw a bear walking down my driveway. I have taken my seed feeder in which will spoil Cotton's "Tv".
Old March 28th 15, 07:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 3/28/2015 2:38 PM, Mike Mayers wrote:
This morning a neighbor was walking his dogs and saw a bear walking down my driveway. I have taken my seed feeder in which will spoil Cotton's "Tv".

I'm sure glad I don't live where there are bears! The raccoons were
enough of a problem when I had bird feeders. I'm sorry about Cotton not
getting cat TV but better safe than sorry!

Jill
Old March 29th 15, 06:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Mike Mayers" wrote in message
This morning a neighbor was walking his dogs and saw a bear walking down
my driveway. I have taken my seed feeder in which will spoil Cotton's
"Tv".

OMG. Tbh, I don't know how you deal with your wildlife in the USA. You
have so many dangerous things.
We have one venomous snake. I've never seen one. It's not a good idea to
get in the way of a red deer stag in the rut here but otherwise we are safe.
I know enough to not get killed by a male red deer that is rutting./ run
for your life if he come towards you.

Old March 29th 15, 07:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Mike Mayers" wrote in message
This morning a neighbor was walking his dogs and saw a bear walking down
my driveway. I have taken my seed feeder in which will spoil Cotton's
"Tv".

Boyfie says No, he does not do bears. He does foxes.\ |He never saw a bear
in his life.

Old March 29th 15, 11:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 3/29/2015 11:31 AM, Christina Websell wrote:
"Mike Mayers" wrote in message
This morning a neighbor was walking his dogs and saw a bear walking down
my driveway. I have taken my seed feeder in which will spoil Cotton's
"Tv".

Boyfie says No, he does not do bears. He does foxes.\ |He never saw a bear
in his life.

When my mother lived in Alaska, she had a little toy poodle. She was
out walking the dog one day when she saw a man in a truck parked on the
other side of the street, a little way ahead of where she was walking.
He was waving his arms at her. She waved back, thinking it was somebody
she knew but couldn't recognize from that distance. When she was even
with him, she saw that she didn't know him. He said, "There was a big.
black. bear! It crossed the road right behind you. Her toy poodle
hadn't seen any bear.

--
Joy Unlimited
Colorful Crocheted Critters
Old March 30th 15, 07:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 3/29/2015 11:26 PM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article , Christina Websell
wrote:

"Mike Mayers" wrote in message
This morning a neighbor was walking his dogs and saw a bear walking
down my driveway. I have taken my seed feeder in which will spoil
Cotton's "Tv".

OMG. Tbh, I don't know how you deal with your wildlife in the USA. You
have so many dangerous things. We have one venomous snake. I've never
seen one. It's not a good idea to get in the way of a red deer stag in
the rut here but otherwise we are safe. I know enough to not get killed
by a male red deer that is rutting./ run for your life if he come
towards you.

I've never seen a adder either and we don't get many deer around here in
Lye, strutting stags or any other. I cannot imagine what it must be like
to have bears walking down your drive.

Judith

A year or two ago someone about 25 or 30 miles from me had a bear in
their hot tub. I've never seen one in the wild, except when I was on a
tour in Alaska.

Joy (in Southern California)

Old March 30th 15, 07:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 3/29/2015 11:57 PM, The Other Guy wrote:
On Sun, 29 Mar 2015 23:37:50 -0700, Joy wrote:

A year or two ago someone about 25 or 30 miles from me had a bear in
their hot tub. I've never seen one in the wild, except when I was on a
tour in Alaska.

We used to have bears in San Diego county, but it's been
MANY years since I've heard of a sighting here.

But we have snakes, spiders, mountain lions, coyotes,
and probably some other dangerous things (other than
people).

We can't compete with Australia when it comes to dangerous critters,
though. They have 9 of the 10 deadliest snakes, as well as crocodiles,
cane toads, redback spiders and poisonous jellyfish, among other things.

Old March 30th 15, 08:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mike Mayers

The bears we have are not usually dangerous if you leave the cubs alone. They are hungry and looking for food. Bird feeders are a good sourse.
Old March 31st 15, 02:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 3/30/2015 6:07 PM, The Other Guy wrote:
On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 11:04:47 -0700, Joy wrote:

On 3/29/2015 11:57 PM, The Other Guy wrote:
On Sun, 29 Mar 2015 23:37:50 -0700, Joy wrote:

A year or two ago someone about 25 or 30 miles from me had a bear in
their hot tub. I've never seen one in the wild, except when I was on a
tour in Alaska.

We used to have bears in San Diego county, but it's been
MANY years since I've heard of a sighting here.

But we have snakes, spiders, mountain lions, coyotes,
and probably some other dangerous things (other than
people).

We can't compete with Australia when it comes to dangerous critters,
though. They have 9 of the 10 deadliest snakes, as well as crocodiles,
cane toads, redback spiders and poisonous jellyfish, among other things.

And DON'T forget platypuses!

True, but they aren't poisonous. They also have a lot of other
interesting non-poisonous animals. I've held a koala, a possum and a
baby crocodile (with its mouth taped shut), had kangaroos eat out of my
hand, and had the opportunity to pet a wombat, a dingo pup and a baby
Tasmanian devil.

Joy

---

Old March 31st 15, 07:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 3/30/2015 8:01 PM, The Other Guy wrote:
On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 18:12:12 -0700, Joy wrote:

True, but they aren't poisonous.

Per Wikipedia..

While both male and female platypuses are born with ankle spurs, only the
male's spurs produce venom

Not lethal to humans, but extremely painful.

Wow! Something about Australia that I didn't know.