OT Stupid Tech Guy or Strangers in your Home when you have Cats

Old November 17th 18, 03:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dee[_2_]

Default OT Stupid Tech Guy or Strangers in your Home when you have Cats

I hadn't heard of these mandatory inspections before either, but I have
an older friend who lives in subsidized housing, and he says his
apartment is inspected twice a year for pests, and once a year for
general maintenance.

Dee

Old November 17th 18, 11:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 11/16/2018 1:15 PM, Dan Mahoney wrote:
On Wednesday, November 14, 2018 at 7:41:13 PM UTC-6, Jill McQuown wrote:
On 11/14/2018 5:37 PM, Kitten wrote:
Every year, some things in the house get inspected, it's regulation.

I honestly don't know what you're talking about. I don't have to have
anyone inspect my house. I've had service people come in - three this
year, two in the last month, at my request. One to service the HVAC
unit under service contract and another a plumber to repair a toilet,
also under service contract. I set the appointments. I have another
plumber coming on Friday to replace a faucet cartridge.

No one who comes into my house has any say about how many cats I have or
don't have. Nor do they get "familiar" with me. Where on earth do you
live?!

Jill

As a long time US renter, every place that I have rented I have had the landlord come over at least annually to inspect the property for damage. The village we live in now actually requires that landlords do so annually.

I was a long term renter until my parents died and I inherited this
house. It was written into the lease, the landlord (property management
company) reserved the right to inspect for damage or to enter the
property without permission *if* they felt there was a problem. But it
wasn't a required annual inspection.

I'm sure different places have different rules and regs. One thing I do
know, they all had a limit on the number of pets. I paid "pet rent" to
cover possible damages. In every case the lease limited the number of
pets and imposed a weight limit per pet.

There have been situations where people collect animals and aren't able
to care for them or to keep the property maintained. Pet hoarders. Not
saying 'Kitten' has this issue. But I've never heard of what she's
talking about in terms of mandatory inspections.

I don't trust much I hear coming out of the aioe domain.

Jill
Old November 17th 18, 11:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 2018-11-17 7:00 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
On 11/16/2018 1:15 PM, Dan Mahoney wrote:
On Wednesday, November 14, 2018 at 7:41:13 PM UTC-6, Jill McQuown wrote:
On 11/14/2018 5:37 PM, Kitten wrote:
Every year, some things in the house get inspected, it's regulation.

I honestly don't know what you're talking about.Â* I don't have to have
anyone inspect my house.Â* I've had service people come in - three this
year, two in the last month, at my request.Â* One to service the HVAC
unit under service contract and another a plumber to repair a toilet,
also under service contract.Â* I set the appointments.Â* I have another
plumber coming on Friday to replace a faucet cartridge.

No one who comes into my house has any say about how many cats I have or
don't have.Â* Nor do they get "familiar" with me.Â* Where on earth do you
live?!

Jill

As a long time US renter, every place that I have rented I have had
the landlord come over at least annually to inspect the property for
damage. The village we live in now actually requires that landlords do
so annually.

I was a long term renter until my parents died and I inherited this
house.Â* It was written into the lease, the landlord (property management
company) reserved the right to inspect for damage or to enter the
property without permission *if* they felt there was a problem.Â* But it
wasn't a required annual inspection.

I'm sure different places have different rules and regs.Â* One thing I do
know, they all had a limit on the number of pets.Â* I paid "pet rent" to
cover possible damages.Â* In every case the lease limited the number of
pets and imposed a weight limit per pet.

When I was looking for a condo to move into, I only looked at those
which allowed pets. When I found a suitable one, they allowed only one
small pet per unit, and I negotiated an agreement with the board that I
could have two. I wasn't getting rid of one of them, or putting myself
in a position where I could get in trouble for violating the agreement.
I was surprised how many people said "Oh, just bring two. They'll never
find out." I wasn't taking a chance with it - or being so dishonest.

The board is fairly flexible, though. Some of the dogs stretch the
definition of "small animal" somewhat!

When I was renting, the landlord always had the right to enter in an
emergency, and could at other times with a certain amount of notice and
my permission - I'd read the Landlord-Tenant Act, so I knew! Not that
any of them gave me that kind of problem. It was just that business with
the insurance company safety inspector, which I suspect was at least
partly because I was living in an rundown old house in an old
neighbourhood. They got a lot stricter over the fireplace during the
years I lived there, to the point that eventually I was warned not to
use it at all because they wouldn't pay for any fire damage that
resulted. That was fair enough; I knew before they told me that it was
old and probably not up to current safety standards.

--
Cheryl