farting kittens

Old June 28th 04, 01:07 AM
superfly75017

Default farting kittens

Hello,

Last week, my girlfriend and I adopted 2 femaile kittens that are 11 weeks
old. We called them Lepa and Joy. In the past I had adult cats who thrived
on science diet so when the kittens arrived I put them on science diet for
kittens with chicken (little pellets or balls). They get that and water and
nothing else. They seem to like it a lot.

Unfortunately, they are farting a lot - it is 28 degrees centigrade here
just now and the windows are closed due to the kittens so my place smells
none too attractive right now. When they fart it really smells like they
have done a **** but they haven't. Is this sort of thing normal for little
kittens?

So, I am thinking of trying them on another kind of food. Can you recommend
anything else that is as good for growing kittens as science diet? All
suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance
Paul

Old June 28th 04, 01:24 AM
Gail

The kittens should also be checked for parasites. That could also cause gas.
Make sure you do not feed them milk.
Gail

Old June 28th 04, 01:30 AM
superfly75017

Thanks Gail. They are going to the vet this week for their first
vaccinations so I shall get them tested for parasites at the same time and
ask the vet when to start them on anti-worm products.

That said, the woman who gave them to us said they were not stinky before
she brought them to us so I suspect it is the science diet that is at the
root of the problem.

Paul

ink.net...

Old June 28th 04, 01:34 AM
Sherry

[...]

Have you ever tried canned food for them?
The reason I'm suggesting this, is that we have one particular cat who gets
terrible gas & diarrhea every time she gets into the dry food.
Sherry

Old June 28th 04, 05:01 PM
Karen

"Sherry " wrote in message
[...]

Pearl gets gas and that is what my vet recommended. For Pearl,
unfortunately, it doesn't seem to help. She is not stinky, but I'm quite
certain she is often uncomfortable.

Old June 28th 04, 10:13 PM
Sharon Talbert

It may be the change of diet, but given the kittens are due for their
second distemper shot (by 12 weeks), I would take a bit of fresh stool to
the vet at the same time to check for intestinal parasites.

If they are fully vaccinated (by your vet), ask your vet about bringing in
just the stool sample.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats