Cat Cam - Pet Tracking

Old October 4th 04, 06:36 PM
Steve G

Default Cat Cam - Pet Tracking

"Phil P." wrote in message ...
(...)

The cats spent 40% of their time asleep, 22% resting, 13% hunting (although
this varied), 20% grooming, 3% wondering, and 2% feeding. --- just about
everything they do indoors.

A strawman argument, this one.

The point is not that cats do similar things indoors and outdoors. It
would be almost impossible for this not to be so ('my cat only flies
biplanes when he goes outdoors. Indoors, he reads the papers and
produces neo-classical pointillist abstracts'). Indeed, it's more the
case that cats were designed in nature, in the outdoors, to show the
above behaviours, and so cats attempt to continue to express these
outdoor behaviours when they're captive indoors.

Basically every captive pet shows the same set of behaviours in nature
and in captivity. This does not mean that captivity per se is
universally a good thing, and something that should not be questioned.

It is also true that the cat often prefers to carry out the above
behaviours outdoors - indoor / outdoor cats will often choose to have
a nap outdoors. Not suprising, given that cats were designed in
nature, not in the living room.

Indoor cats cannot truly hunt, although simulation gets 'em some of
the way.

(...)

Nope. But they should be disappointed if their cats *didn't* kill other
animals - especially after all the work nature put into designing the
quintessential predator.

Absolutely. And I trust that indoor proponents are sad that their cats
do not have the opportunity to hunt - especially after all the work
nature put into designing the quintessential predator...

Steve.

Old October 4th 04, 06:58 PM
Mary

"Steve G" wrote

Indoor cats cannot truly hunt, although simulation gets 'em some of
the way.

Pfft! This time of year mice and bugs tend to come indoor and
our great hunters are very busy. We even had a chipmunk come in through
the ventilation system once. If you were that chipmunk, you would have
felt genuinely hunted. (I didn't let them get her, though.)

Nope. But they should be disappointed if their cats *didn't* kill other
animals - especially after all the work nature put into designing the
quintessential predator.

Absolutely. And I trust that indoor proponents are sad that their cats
do not have the opportunity to hunt - especially after all the work
nature put into designing the quintessential predator...

Aside from the real critters she catches (mostly bugs, to be sure)
there is the well-abused long-headless rubber snake Cheeky conquers several
times a day and presents to me with great howling fanfare. I get to see my
great hunters hunt every day. It's almost enough to get me to stop kissing
them right on the lips.

Old October 4th 04, 07:21 PM
ceb

"Mary" wrote in news:Qag8d.51973$ci3.2437692
@twister.southeast.rr.com:

It's almost enough to get me to stop kissing
them right on the lips.

I know -- sometimes I need to have a moratorium on kissing, until I am able
to forget whatever disgusting thing they just did with their mouths (I'm
including the dog in this -- she's actually the worse offender, being a dog
and everything...).

--Catherine
& Rosalie the calicohead
& guest dog appearance by Zoe the cockerchow

Old October 4th 04, 07:32 PM
Steve G

"Mary" wrote in message .com...
(...)

So they got all the benefits of indoor cats with none of the safety. I see.

Behaviors expressed indoors and outdoors are not exactly the same. If
I walk around my kitchen for 8hrs, this isn't the same as going for a
walk in the hills.

Cats could express all of their behaviours if they spent their entire
life living in a bathroom. Or a cage. Or a big cardboard box. However,
that doesn't mean that a bathroom-dwelling cardboard-box cat would be
a Good Thing, or that the behaviours expressed by said cat would be
complete or even sufficient.

Steve.

Old October 4th 04, 07:54 PM
Phil P.

"Mary" wrote in message
. com...

"Steve G" wrote

[...]

Mary, stop being creative - you're embarrassing the outdoor proponents! :-

Wanna see your cats have a blast? Buy a few crickets at Petsmart and watch
your cats really enjoy themselves hunting them down! Just be sure to only
let one cricket out at a time... I learnt that the hard way.

Phil

Old October 4th 04, 07:54 PM
Phil P.

"Mary" wrote in message