Roxy's going to TED

Old February 6th 07, 05:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Roxy's going to TED

I woke up today and Roxy was sitting by the window with one eye
partially closed. Since that is not an unusual sight, given she
has feline herpes, I wasn't alarmed. Often she will have slight
trouble with one eye, but it doesn't last very long.

But when I brought her her breakfast (yes, Roxy takes her morning
repast by the livingroom window), I noticed that the eye looked
really bad. I couldn't see her iris or pupil at all - it looked
like it was all swollen, pulpy white stuff, as if someone had
punched her in the eye (probably her inner lid is swollen). So,
off to TED we go! She has an appointment in about 40 minutes.

She's 9 years old this spring, and she's had herpes since birth,
and mostly she hasn't had any serious problems. She sneezes a lot
and one of her eyes drains down her nose all the time, because
the tear duct in that eye is scarred. (This is not the eye that
looks bad this morning.) Generally, I treat her with lysine, an
amino acid that keeps the virus in check. When she was young, she
had a couple of bad flareups, where she came down with a major
URI, but she hasn't been sick like that in many years. So this is
pretty alarming.

I'll keep everyone posted!

Joyce
Old February 6th 07, 06:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Susan M

Purrs for Roxy to respond quickly to treatment.

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Old February 6th 07, 06:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 17:53:46 +0000, jXwXeXrXmXoXnXt wrote:

[...]

Purrs that Roxy will recover fast. MLB

Old February 6th 07, 07:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

On Feb 6, 12:53 pm, wrote:
[...]

Rusty is purring for Roxy

Old February 6th 07, 08:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

wrote:
[...]

Lots of purrs on the way for Roxy.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old February 6th 07, 10:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Roxy's going to TED - UPDATE

Well, the results are inconclusive. The vet wasn't sure what caused her
eye to get like that. She thought maybe Roxy had gotten something in her
eye that got infected and caused it to swell up. (It also seemed to be
dripping some pus.) But she didn't find any foreign objects in Roxy's
eye, so that probably wasn't it.

One thing she did notice is that Roxy's teeth are in bad shape. Looks
like she'll have to have a couple of them removed - but not right now.
Later, when her eye heals, we'll deal with her teeth. sigh This is my
fault. I have been afraid to take her for a tooth cleaning (this applies
to all the cats) because of the anaesthetic. I would be devastated if
any of them died having their teeth cleaned - of all things! And none
of them will let me brush their teeth. So I'm afraid I haven't been as
attentive as I should be toward their dental care. They do eat dry food,
but in Roxy's case, I guess that wasn't enough.

The vet even said that it's possible (no proof of this, it's just a
possibility) that if she has an abcess in one of her teeth, it could
have spread to her eye. However, she has no temperature, and before
today, her appetite's been fine and her energy level has been normal.

So for now, I have gunk to put in her eye (an antibiotic), some stuff
to put in her food (an anti-inflammatory, non steroidal because of her
herpes), and tomorrow I'll be picking up some interferon to treat the
herpes, in case this is a flareup. She's in a room by herself so I can
monitor her eating and peeing/pooping habits. Also, so she won't get
into any cat squabbles that might end up making it worse, and so she
won't expose the other two, in case it's contagious.

So that's all the news for now.

Thanks for the purrs,
Joyce

Old February 6th 07, 11:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

wrote:
So that's all the news for now.

Lots of purrs for a swift recovery!