Multiple Cat Household Question

Old April 25th 05, 01:43 AM
CatNipped

Default Multiple Cat Household Question

I read somewhere that in a multiple cat household not only does each cat
have their own "territory", but that the territory may change throughout the
day. I've noticed that in the mornings Jessie sleeps on the cat tree in the
cats' bedroom window, but that's where Demi sleeps in the afternoon - always
the same, it's never Demi in the morning or Jessie in the afternoon.

Has anyone else here noticed similar patterns?

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

Old April 25th 05, 05:24 AM
John Doe

"CatNipped" wrote:

I read somewhere that in a multiple cat household not only does
each cat have their own "territory", but that the territory may
change throughout the day. I've noticed that in the mornings
Jessie sleeps on the cat tree in the cats' bedroom window, but
that's where Demi sleeps in the afternoon - always the same,
it's never Demi in the morning or Jessie in the afternoon. Has
anyone else here noticed similar patterns?

Territory isn't very clear with my two cats here (maybe I'm not
observant of that enough yet), however pecking order is. Kiki will
look at Kitty sometimes and when Kitty is bold enough to keep
looking at Kiki, Kiki will attack/swing at him (doesn't really
bother Kitty much anymore, he's very good at evasion and he has
learned that it's coming).

Old April 25th 05, 10:41 AM

Each of mine had their own litter tray. Toby passed away two years
ago, but I left his litter tray at the other side of the room, in case,
in the night, Dillon had soiled his own and needed to go in the other,
the other one has stayed clean to this day!

Old April 25th 05, 11:43 PM
bigbadbarry

Maybe their territory is wherever they are.

I think your thinking about a domain,
whereas your cats operate in workgroups...

Old April 25th 05, 11:45 PM
bigbadbarry

wait...wrong forum

I mean, maybe they carry their territories with them?

My experience was with two friends cats...but they were never
serious with each other...you know...just wallowed each other all the
time.

Old April 26th 05, 04:47 AM
soft

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 19:43:13 -0500, "CatNipped"
wrote:

I read somewhere that in a multiple cat household not only does each cat
have their own "territory", but that the territory may change throughout the
day. I've noticed that in the mornings Jessie sleeps on the cat tree in the
cats' bedroom window, but that's where Demi sleeps in the afternoon - always
the same, it's never Demi in the morning or Jessie in the afternoon.

Has anyone else here noticed similar patterns?

I haven't noticed that with mine. I do notice that if a cat is
comfortable and settled in one spot it is a taboo for another cat to
come interrupt.

That said I have noticed that Lancelott does something sorta funny. If
one of the other cats is laying on me he is fine but if he is near and
a nother cat aproches he will lung onto me and stare at the other cat.
So maybe he has decided that I am his?

soft
Old April 26th 05, 04:55 AM

CatNipped wrote:
I read somewhere that in a multiple cat household not only does each

cat
have their own "territory", but that the territory may change

throughout the
day.

I've certainly noticed the territory claims. Ernie sleeps in my room
during the day. At night, Kahlua and Mischief ofter visit. And
sometimes it turns into a cat fight between Kahlua and Ernie.

This morning, I woke up to find Ernie sleeping on me. I think she was
claiming "King of the Mountain."

Mischief once tried to climb on me while I was sleeping. That woke me
up in a hurry!