OT - Giving manual labour a try

Old August 6th 06, 02:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
badwilson

Default OT - Giving manual labour a try

Ok, wish me luck everyone. I've signed up with Vinepower and am going
pruning for 3 days a week, starting tomorrow. Pruning is where you cut
back the vines, getting them ready to sprout with new grapes in the
spring.
Things at the winery job are slow right now and I'm only working 2 days
a week. With Dennis being away, I'm finding it a bit boring and figured
I might as well be making some money. Can always use more money when
getting ready to build a house. Double glazing and all that ;-)
I was going to get another 2 day a week job at another winery, but they
all want you to work on the weekend. And since I already have a weekend
job that I don't want to quit because I love it, I thought that going
pruning would be my best bet.
I hope to learn more aspects of the wine industry, so this should be
good for that. In the fall, I'll do some picking also.
I'm only going to do it 3 days a week for 3 weeks and then when Dennis
comes back, I'll quit. I don't know how hard work it will be. I reckon
my hand will get sore from squeezing the secateurs. I hope it doesn't
rain either.
I'm going to take my phone, which has 8 albums on it, so at least I can
listen to tunes and not get too bored.
I have had to invest $40 in a pair of gumboots, so I need to at least
make that money back. So no quitting on the first day! I still harbour
nightmares from a job as a daffodil picker when I was 16. I didn't last
a day even, got stuck in the mud up to my waist :-(
Heh, I hope I can do this. I haven't always been a spoiled girlie-girl,
honest! The hardest part will be getting up so early in the morning. I
have to meet at the place at 6:50 am. I haven't been up at that hour
for *years* ;-)
--
Britta
Purring is an automatic safety valve device for dealing with happiness

Old August 6th 06, 03:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"badwilson" wrote in message
[...]

I half way sort of envy you. You will learn about grape culture. You may
earn enough to afford to start you house a little sooner. And you will meet
people.

When it comes to work, its always said it isn't what you know, its who you
know. Especially since a lot of what you know - how to fly a plane for
example or repair a copier- may not help in getting your dream job.

Jo

Old August 6th 06, 03:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
badwilson

Jo Firey wrote:
"badwilson" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, I want to know more about the whole wine/grape business. This will
be good and also the winery where I work needs pruning badly. But they
want me to have some experience. So after this job, I might be able to
work for my winery a couple of days a week and they would pay me more
than what I'll be getting through Vinepower, which is a temp agency for
vineyard work.
The thing about the house building isn't so much a matter of money to
start sooner. It's getting a builder who has the time. There is a huge
building boom going on right now. However, rising interest rates might
cut that back a bit. Of course, then our payments will be higher too,
so the extra money certainly won't hurt.

When it comes to work, its always said it isn't what you know, its
who you know. Especially since a lot of what you know - how to fly a
plane for example or repair a copier- may not help in getting your
dream job.

Well, I'm not sure if I have a dream job. I'm fickle and am always
wanting to do new stuff. Jill of all trades, master of none ;-) But I
do love this cellar door job I've been doing. There's always somebody
interesting to talk to, and I have a good time with the other people who
work there. The wine benefits are great too, a free case every month
and 50% off all other cases. I guess my dream job would be to do that
job 4-5 days a week when Dennis is away, then cut back to 2 days a week
when he's here. Not much chance of that happening though!
Oh, and I'll probably meet lots of travellers, surfers, students, etc.
Should be interesting :-)
--
Britta --- off to bed 2 hours earlier than usual

Old August 6th 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

badwilson wrote:
[...]

Good luck, I hope you enjoy the job and make new friends.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old August 6th 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2006-08-06, badwilson penned:
Heh, I hope I can do this. I haven't always been a spoiled girlie-girl,
honest! The hardest part will be getting up so early in the morning. I
have to meet at the place at 6:50 am. I haven't been up at that hour
for *years* ;-)

Ouch! That would be hard for me, too. Well, have fun with it, and be
sure to wear sunscreen! (Yes, mom...)

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old August 6th 06, 09:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

badwilson wrote:

Ok, wish me luck everyone. I've signed up with Vinepower and am going
pruning for 3 days a week, starting tomorrow. Pruning is where you cut
back the vines, getting them ready to sprout with new grapes in the spring.
Things at the winery job are slow right now and I'm only working 2 days
a week. snip

Lots of purrs and best wishes that you learn a lot at your new job,
Polonca and Soncek

Old August 7th 06, 02:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sam

badwilson wrote:
Ok, wish me luck everyone.

Good luck, Britta. Although it can be quite distressing to find that
low numbered hours occur twice every day. I much prefer the ones when
there's daylight myself.

--
Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe
Old August 9th 06, 10:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Steve Touchstone

On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 21:32:29 +0800, "badwilson"
wrote:

snip
So no quitting on the first day! I still harbour
nightmares from a job as a daffodil picker when I was 16. I didn't last
a day even, got stuck in the mud up to my waist :-(

reminds me of one of my early summer jobs - picking grapes. We got
paid by the amount picked, and the experienced pickers must have
filled 4 flats for every one I did. I reached up under a vine and
grabbed a wasp nest. I lasted until lunchtime the first day.
--
Steve Touchstone,
faithful servant of Sammy, Little Bit and Spot

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page: