Steatitis

Old July 27th 03, 08:01 PM
S. Gass

Thank you all for the replies! I'll summarize my response, rather than
sending individual replies.

"buglady" wrote in message rthlink.net...
http://www.afip.org/vetpath/WSC/wsc00/00wsc06.htm
Ceroid pigment is present as brown/gray globules, mostly within the
cytoplasm of macrophages

The pathology presented in this link is quite an accurate description
of Bubba's condition when we first discovered it. The vet clipped all
the hair off his abdomen, and the yellow/brown discoloration was very
apparent. At the time, he had one central opening, draining blood. Her
immediate reaction was that it was a necrotic malignancy, beyond hope,
and that I should put him down. I insisted that she run some tests
first, though, and fortunately she consulted with the vet who had seen
steatitis.

The only abnormality on the CBC was an elevated white count, of about
28,000. He hasn't had a fever, and did respond very quickly to
treatment for steatitis. The holes do appear to be the result of fluid
draining from the area, and have usually first manifested as an area
of "thin" skin or a blood blister. It's quite difficult to describe
accurately, and has been changing rapidly. I've been told that the
progression from bloody discharge to clear fluid is a positive sign,
however, and there hasn't really been any drainage at all over the
past few days.

There hasn't been any obvious indication of parasites, and I don't
think the vets have even considered that as a possibility. However, it
is easy to imagine that parasitic growth or some other secondary
condition have occurred since this all began, or that the skin
condition is indeed a result of the medication, and I'll ask the vets
tomorrow. It's gotten to the point where they both look at him
whenever I bring him in.

The reason I've continued the steroid use is that the area appeared to
clear up very quickly when he was first on them. When I stopped the
steroids (as directed), it then quickly erupted, and his overall
condition deteriorated. Restarting the steroids again led to rapid
improvement, and I do have a reference to effusions related to
steatitis. You raise a very valid point, though, Liz, and I'll discuss
the issue with them in depth.

I hope that I'm looking at the healing process for steatitis, but am
concerned that there might be a large area of necrotic tissue,
including the skin. I do understand that necrosis is often associated
with steatitis. There is an odor as well, although the tissue I looked
at yesterday does look just a little less disgusting today - it's
smoother, and the affected area doesn't look as deep, although it's
still a grayish brown.

The vets have been "on alert", so I'm sure we'll be able to get in
there tomorrow morning. I'll still be grateful to receive any
additional thoughts/experiences, though, and again, thanks to all for
replying!

Steve
Old July 27th 03, 11:34 PM
buglady

"S. Gass" wrote in message
om...
Update: There now seems to be a more normal color returning to the
open area, i.e. pink rather than brown. And it doesn't really smell
acrid or skunk-like
There is still an open area of about 1" in diameter, though, with the
likelihood of becoming quite a bit larger. Tomorrow I'll learn how
best to treat it, or if surgical intervention is necessary/possible.

.......Personally if things are improving, i think I'd leave it alone.
Surgery makes bigger holes than that!. Since fatty acids play such a big
role in skin permeability/integrity. I think the accumulated fluid weighing
on fragile, too porous skin, probably just caused it to open. This, after
all, is what most infected wounds will do - find the easiest point to drain
and rupture the skin. Glad to hear thinks are pinking up.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old July 28th 03, 06:48 PM
Karen Chuplis

Oh my goodness. I am SO sorry ( So sorry. My thoughts and prayers are
with you.
Karen

"S. Gass" wrote in message
om...
We just got back from the vet. It is gangrene. We're not going to
subject him to surgical attempts to correct it. Thanks all.

Steve

Old July 28th 03, 08:47 PM
Dee

On 28 Jul 2003, S. Gass wrote:

We just got back from the vet. It is gangrene. We're not going to
subject him to surgical attempts to correct it. Thanks all.

I'm very sorry Steve.

Dee

Old July 29th 03, 02:38 AM
Steve Gass

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 20:03:45 +0000, buglady wrote:

Oh, how awful, I'm so sorry. I know you won't feel up to answering questions
now, but was this a complication of the steatitis? Is there any chance of
saving him?

Yes, it is apparently a result of the steatitis. After much thought, and
discussing it with my wife, we've decided to seek a second opinion. These vets
explained that they can excise the tissue, leaving an open wound of 5 - 6" in
diameter, and involving a very long, difficult and painful recovery, if recovery
is even possible. We can't put him through that.

It was a nice day, so I took him outside and sat with him, figuring that a dirty
environment could do him no more harm. He rolled in the grass, then laid on his
back, purring and kneading the air as I skritched his chin and rubbed his ears.
Overnight, the open area had become genuinely appalling, but we can't give up
just yet. I spoke to another vet, who doesn't see why there wouldn't be enough
skin to at least mostly close the wound after excision, which would give Bubba a
chance of living in enough comfort to give recovery a shot.

At this point there is, of course, no way of knowing how far the gangrene has
spread. If organs are involved then there truly is no hope, but if it's still
limited to the fat pad, and if the skin can be closed, he may have a chance. I
have another appointment tomorrow morning, and will see what a different vet has
to say. Thanks again.

Steve

Old July 29th 03, 02:55 AM
Betsy

Oh, I am SO VERY VERY GLAD you are going to another vet.

Cats are very resilient. They can tolerate a lot, and will recover just to
be "with you". I've seen my cats recover from horrible things many times,
apparently to please me. Please give Bubba a chance! And do keep us
posted.

news