Russian Blue running away - help!

Old February 24th 04, 03:40 PM
Claudia

Default Russian Blue running away - help!

I have a gorgeous 10 month old neutered Russian Blue and 2 neutered
Siamese females.
This little guy insists running out of the house. He did it 2 times.
The first time - 30 hours of freedom - he got ring worm and ear mites.
He did it again yesterday.
We can't handle that. I know he is a cat, he prefers life outside, but
we prefer to keep him indoors. To his safety and our peace of mind. We
are all crazy about him.
There are dogs outside, busy street, stray cats.
The family suffers when he goes, it is a nightmare.
He escapes by the door when my 10 year old son comes home from school.
I want to try a kind of device like
"Pet Boundary Indoor Pet Barrier System: If your pet comes into that
zone, the base unit sends a signal to the transmitter on their collar.
The transmitter emits a tone at a frequency that only your pet will
hear to warn them to stay away"
Did anybody tired that with cats? I would like to put in the door.
Any suggestion to train my little blue devil to stay inside all the
time?

THanks
Claudia
Old February 24th 04, 03:58 PM
Jeannie

I seriously doubt if the buzzer thing would work for long.

Do you live in the middle of a big town? Because the only thing that really
is a danger to cats is traffic (there are no cat predators in the UK that I
know of, if you're in the U.S. obviously things are different).

Dogs can't (usually) catch cats and all cats fight. Unless there is alot of
traffic where you live I would just let him go out. I was terrified the
first time my new cat went out but she always comes back and now she's
established her own territory she pretty much stays around the garden
defending it and staring at birds and other cat stuff (apart from her new
habit of rolling in dog poo, but that's another story)

Unless there is a really valid reason to not let him out, I would get him
microchipped and let him explore the big wide world!

Jeannie

om...

Old February 24th 04, 03:59 PM
Gail

I wonder if a scat mat will help. It is a mat that is plugged in and emits a
mild shock when the animal steps on it. I don't know if people stepping on
it will cause the mat harm, though. Below is a link to it. I used them near
bookcases when one of my cats started urinating there. They were great.
Gail
http://mightypets.com/scat_mat.asp
om...

Old February 24th 04, 04:00 PM
Gail

I disagree. There is a busy street, dogs, and other cats around. I don't
think he would last long outside.
Gail
"Jeannie" wrote in message
[...]

om...

Old February 24th 04, 04:21 PM
Mary

"Claudia" wrote in message
om...
I have a gorgeous 10 month old neutered Russian Blue and 2 neutered
Siamese females.
This little guy insists running out of the house. He did it 2 times.
The first time - 30 hours of freedom - he got ring worm and ear

mites.
He did it again yesterday.

Put bells on your doors, or some other noisy thing. A can of marble
you can shake at him any time he goes near the door. And just try
harder. Tell everyone in the house NOT to let the cat out. Yell at him
when he dogs the door. After a while he won't even try. I've been
doing this for a long time.