How to tell the owners the tragic news?

Old April 27th 04, 05:11 AM
Gee

Default How to tell the owners the tragic news?

Hi, I need some urgent advice please.

About 10 days ago I saw a beautiful cat get run over and took it to
emergency vet. The cat unfortunately died probably immediately. She had no
ID tags/microchip so we were unable to contact the owner, but I told the
local vets in case anyone enquires.

However, I went out tonight and found the posters about a lost cat and it is
the beautiful one I saw run over. I couldn;t bring myself to call the owners
with such news at 2am, so will call them tomorrow.

So, the question is, how do I tell the owners? They obviously loved this
cat, and will be gobsmecked when they hear the news. Do I tell them over the
phone or ask them to meet me locally(we seem to be in same neighborhood)
then tell them? Would that sound strange to them? I would also hate them to
think that I was the one to run her over, when I just tried to help. I know
I know I am being paranoid, but I hate to bring this people such pain. I
lost my QT the same way 5 years ago, and I know how I felt for years after.
I know I can;t make it any easier for the owners, I just don't want them to
get a heart attack or something.

What would you do? Please write ASAP, as I must call them tomorrow(later
today - it's now 5am here).

Thanks for any advice

Gee

Old April 27th 04, 05:12 AM
[ medic ]

Gee,

Personally, I would call them and tell them what happened. At least if they
know, they won't be going around searching for their cat. I think not
knowing would be much harder than being sure of what happened.

[ med ]

Old April 27th 04, 05:51 AM
Ryan Robbins

"Gee" wrote in message news:x3ljc.4$yA.0@newsfe1-win...

However, I went out tonight and found the posters about a lost cat and it

is
the beautiful one I saw run over. I couldn;t bring myself to call the

owners
with such news at 2am, so will call them tomorrow.

So, the question is, how do I tell the owners?

When I found a dead cat who had been run over, I moved the body out of the
street and put it between the sidewalk and the curb. A few days later, the
newspaper had a lost ad for the cat.

I simply called the number listed, identified myself, said I was calling in
regard to the ad and told the woman that I had found a cat that had
apparently been killed by a car and that the cat matched the description in
the lost ad.

The woman said she had seen the cat I had found and that it wasn't hers. But
I am still convinced it was hers because the description of the cat was
dead-on and the body was right outside the woman's apartment.

Just give the facts.

Old April 27th 04, 02:22 PM
Gee

Thanks so much for the great replies guys. I have tried calling owners early
this morning and got the answering machine which stated it was a so and so
company. I found company site on the internet and somewhere on their site
they mentioned the office dog - and a cat... It was the girl I found. Their
address was also next to the road where she was killed so I knew it has to
be her.

So I went there just now. I told a sweet lady about what happened. Kitty was
only 1-2 years old, a local stray they found and took in. She belonged to
all in office and they were very sad but in a way happy to know what has
happened and that she didn;t suffer. I left them my number and ask them to
call me if they wanna talk, as I explained about my QT. She will be missed.

So thanks again.I didn't sleep very well worrying about how to tell them
this horrible news.

Gee