Request for advice: 30 too late to become a vet?

Old January 14th 04, 12:32 AM
Drue

Default Request for advice: 30 too late to become a vet?

Hi.

I'm 30 and am thinking seriously about starting a second career as a
veterinarian. For the past ten years, I have enjoyed a fairly
lucrative career as a software engineer, but now I am very serious
about changing my line of work as I don't want to be in the computer
business my entire life. I'm told that pursuing a second career
relatively late in life is an uphill battle, but I'm ready to go for
it anyway.

Why veterinary medicine? I have had a life long interest in scientific
learning as well as a love for and understanding of animals. Even as a
kid I loved animal care taking and exhibited a relatively good ability
to recognize and evaluate animal health conditions.

While software engineering may have paid better than vet med, I'd like
to pursue a career where I can exercise my scientific skills while
performing some measure of stewardship towards nature. And, needless
to say, I really crave the satisfaction that comes from making a sick
patient well.

So, what do you think? In general, is 30 generally too late in life
to begin studying to be a vet? I think I'll need to go back to school
and earn another bachelor's degree that will cover my pre-veterinary
work before I can even consider med school. I have a long way to go.
Is there enough time at my age?

Thanks so much for reading this and for your advice,
Drue
Old January 14th 04, 01:11 AM
Cat Protector

I usually say go for it but just be prepared to go to medical school for at
least 4-6 years. I wouldn't become a vet if the scientific is all you want
out of it. I think a good vet has to truly care about the animal which is
not science. I think the one question to ask yourself is if you would want
you to care for a sick or injured animal? If someone came to you and wanted
to have their cat declawed, would you talk them out of it or say "no
problem." I know I would not want a vet who was pro-dcelaw.

I myself prefer to be in the computer business because I enjoy it and when
you work for yourself like I do, you really meet some nice customers and at
the same time are allowed to pursue other goals. You also discover how much
that what you do makes a difference.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com
om...

Old January 14th 04, 01:59 AM
m. L. Briggs

On 13 Jan 2004 15:32:23 -0800, (Drue) wrote:

[...]

Quote: "Where's there is a will, there is a way".

Old January 14th 04, 05:53 AM
MaryL

"Drue" wrote in message
[...]

My cousin worked as a pharmacist for 15 years, then entered medical school
at approximately age 40. He interned at the Mayo Clinic. So there is no
reason to view 30 as "too late" to enter veterinary school. However, you
may find that age will be seen as a negative factor in the admissions
process, and that is something you will need to overcome. I would suggest
that you have a serious discussion with administrators at a couple of
veterinary colleges. Incidentally, you probably already know this -- but
admission to vet school is even more difficult/selective than admission to
medical school.

MaryL

Purr request (long) Elise Cat anecdotes 59 November 26th 04 03:09 AM
Cat trust ... is making me late Victor Martinez Cat anecdotes 12 March 9th 04 01:08 AM
Sorry We'ze Late ChildFree23 Cat community 36 February 9th 04 01:42 AM
Human Purr Request Az Cat anecdotes 19 December 15th 03 07:28 AM
Hoomin Purr Request Stacey Cat anecdotes 25 December 15th 03 07:21 AM