possible dangers of scratching cat on tailbone

Old February 25th 05, 03:29 PM
CatNipped

Default possible dangers of scratching cat on tailbone

"apprehensive" wrote in message
I'm a little confused.I'v been reading the threads about why you should
not
scratch a cat on his tailbone but my cat,Thom,not only seems to
enjoy it he constantly seeks me out when ever I'm sitting in my reading
chair and pushes his butt against my leg and slaps his tail very hard
against
my ankle untill I scratch him on his tailbone.The longer I "softly" scrath
him
there the more he seems to enjoy it.He even purrs while I do it! Is it
possible that he's being compulsive and therefore I should resist his
pleadings to be scratched there?The last thing I want to do is hurt him if
he's suffering from a disorder that makes him request to be scratched in
an
area that will only do him harm.Now I'm afraid to scratch him there even a
little.Could someone please explain to me what the signs are and whether
or
not I need to be concerned.Thank you so much,Thom's buddy.

If your cat does not display distress - in fact is displaying pleasure -
then I wouldn't worry about doing it. For some cats (two of mine like it,
two don't), this is a real treat. Some cats will "bite the air" or "lick
the air" when you do it, I think this is the same sort of response you'll
see when a dog starts scratching motions with his hind leg when you scratch
in the right spot. As long as you're doing it gently, there is no physical
harm, and he enjoys it, I'd say go for it.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old February 25th 05, 04:06 PM
ceb

"CatNipped" wrote in news:388uboF5ihbncU1
@individual.net:

If your cat does not display distress - in fact is displaying pleasure -
then I wouldn't worry about doing it.

I agree. Rosalie really likes this, and then will just move away when she
wants me to stop.

--Catherine
& Rosalie the calico
Old February 25th 05, 04:12 PM
Mary

[...]

Don't worry. The feline hyperesthesia we have discussed here is not really
a health problem at all unless the overstimulation causes the cat to become
aggressive. If your Thomas has not gone to the vet lately and you have
any worries at all, take him for a checkup and discuss it with your vet.

Some cats don't have it at all--they just like to be scratched there. I
only noticed that my Buddha had it because she started acting weird,
i.e. biting her forepaw and howling.

Old February 25th 05, 04:19 PM
Mary

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Absolutely right. My vet suggested that it may be uncomfortable for
Buddha because she howls and wags her head, so we don't do it.
(Even though it is hilarious and she does not really seem to be
in discomfort.) In any case feline hyperesthesia is not a life-
threatening condition.