anal growths?

Old October 27th 06, 01:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Default anal growths?

This is kinda gross, but I can't figure out what's going on.

For a good bit of her life, my kitty has occasionally had little
"growths" on the hairless bit of her anus. Their makeup is a bit
difficult to describe, but reminds me of what an overgrown chestnut's
made of, on a horse. They've gotten to over 1/4" long. I pull them off
when they get big enough to; never bleeds and aside from the discomfort
of removal, doesn't seem to cause her any pain. There's no scarring or
damage that I can see after I've pulled one off. They come off pretty
easily.

She hadn't had any in a good while, but I recently noticed they've
returned, and I've just removed two small ones. There's another still
there but it's too flat to pull off.

I suspect they're actually an accumulation of litter dust. I use
organic litters, grain based. She got these often with Swheat Scoop,
but as far as I remember, not at all with Worlds Best Cat Litter. Now
that I've changed to another brand (it's expensive to ship WBC
overseas), it's started up again. But the cause-and-effect could be
coincidental, or I'm just not remembering well.

I did ask a vet once, many years ago. Vet didn't seem concerned, but
also I don't remember her knowing what it was, either.

Has anyone seen this before? Could it be a weird litter buildup, or
maybe a reaction to certain types of litter? Any other ideas? She's
been getting these for perhaps 8 of her 10 years, so I doubt very much
they're anything dangerous. Just annoying, I don't like having to pull
these things off her butt, but they continue to 'grow' if I do not.

Any help appreciated.

jmc
Old October 27th 06, 06:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mlbriggs

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 22:05:57 +0930, jmc wrote:

[...]

Have you tried washing her behind to help her keep it clean? Then,
perhaps putting a little petroleum jelly on it? It might be worth a try.
Good luck. MLB

Old October 28th 06, 12:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, mlbriggs exclaimed (28-Oct-06 3:18 AM):
[...]

Well, she does the washing, and thus I doubt the petroleum jelly would
last long. But maybe she isn't, and that would make this worth a try.
I'd know soon enuf which is true, huh?

jmc
Old October 28th 06, 01:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

jmc wrote:
This is kinda gross, but I can't figure out what's going on.

If there is one on each side of her anus, she is having problems with
her anal glands. She's probably over-secreting anal gland flud, which
is drying and accumulating (and possibly getting litter dust stuck in
it). Next time you are at the vet, ask to have her anal glands
emptied. If they remained blocked too long, they can get infected.

-L.

Old October 28th 06, 01:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Sat, 28 Oct 2006 00:21:44 GMT, "-L." wrote:

If there is one on each side of her anus, she is having problems with
her anal glands. She's probably over-secreting anal gland flud, which
is drying and accumulating (and possibly getting litter dust stuck in
it). Next time you are at the vet, ask to have her anal glands
emptied. If they remained blocked too long, they can get infected.

more evidence that my current vet needs to be fired. I just had my adult
cat to see him last week and asked about what appear to be 2 specks of poo
on either side of my cat's anus and he said it was just his anal glands
secreting, yet he didn't express them. I didn't know this was an
indication they need to be expressed. ARGH!

--
Lynne
Old October 28th 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

Lynne wrote:

more evidence that my current vet needs to be fired. I just had my adult
cat to see him last week and asked about what appear to be 2 specks of poo
on either side of my cat's anus and he said it was just his anal glands
secreting, yet he didn't express them. I didn't know this was an
indication they need to be expressed. ARGH!

In most cats they don't but if the accumulation continues or reoccurs,
yes, they need to be expressed. If you had been treated in our clinic,
the vet wouls have expressed them for you. I would express them when
I did exams or grooms on a cat because a lot of the time a scared cat
would squirt them on me. You can clean them with a baby wipe to keep
the globs from smearing on things, but you have to get one that is safe
for cats. Nothing grosser than cats' anal glad secretions.

-L.

Old October 28th 06, 01:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

"-L." wrote:

Lynne wrote:

more evidence that my current vet needs to be fired. I just had my adult
cat to see him last week and asked about what appear to be 2 specks of poo
on either side of my cat's anus and he said it was just his anal glands
secreting, yet he didn't express them. I didn't know this was an
indication they need to be expressed. ARGH!

In most cats they don't but if the accumulation continues or reoccurs,
yes, they need to be expressed. If you had been treated in our clinic,
the vet wouls have expressed them for you. I would express them when
I did exams or grooms on a cat because a lot of the time a scared cat
would squirt them on me. You can clean them with a baby wipe to keep
the globs from smearing on things, but you have to get one that is safe
for cats. Nothing grosser than cats' anal glad secretions.

-L.

The one thing grosser is the abscess that infected glands can get.
Then expressing is doubly painful for the poor cat.

A tip to anyone reading this is if they ever have a cat go into hiding
and licking a lot then check his butt for an abscess.
-mhd