Occasional fasting a good idea or not?

Old September 14th 05, 10:37 PM
Ivor Jones

"Phil P." wrote in message

"Spider" wrote in message

On a personal level, I have a female cat (Panther) who
has put on extra weight since her spaying.

Neutered cats have a lower daily energy requirement and
require about 1/3 less calories.

Phil

Tell that to my fatso moggy ;-)

Ivor

Old September 15th 05, 12:38 AM
Qwerty

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 16:34:59 GMT, Ajanta wrote:

AS with people, is it a good thing for cats too to skip a meal once in
a while, say once a week (which is what I tend to do myself)?

What makes you think it's a good idea for people to skip meals?

That's kind of crazy - if you're overweight or eat too much, it would
be better to correct your poor eating habits.
Old September 15th 05, 12:40 AM
Qwerty

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 19:29:30 GMT, Ajanta wrote:

BTW, rest assured I am not doing anything rash.

You just admitted you were being rash by accepting poor eating habits
as the norm,
Old September 15th 05, 01:21 AM
Phil P.

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

"Phil P." wrote in message

"Spider" wrote in message

On a personal level, I have a female cat (Panther) who
has put on extra weight since her spaying.

Neutered cats have a lower daily energy requirement and
require about 1/3 less calories.

Phil

Tell that to my fatso moggy ;-)

I meant neutered cats should be fed 1/3 calories.

P.

Old September 15th 05, 03:11 AM
JQ

That's the most ridulous thing I've ever heard. You're going to starve
your cat to lose weight?! How absurd, cruel and retarded. Just
ignorant. How about ever hear of diet food, strick diet. Regular meals,
smaller quantities? Might want to look into that. What kind of person
skips meals to lose weight. Any idiot knows smaller quantities more
often is better for your health and metabolism. If any meal is skipped
the body automatically goes into safety mode and stores all food
afterwards as fat because it doesn't know when the next meal is coming.

Think clearly before you do something so ridiculous and hard yourself
or your cat!!
JQ

Old September 15th 05, 03:38 PM
Ajanta

Qwerty wrote:
: Ajanta wrote:
: BTW, rest assured I am not doing anything rash.
: You just admitted you were being rash by accepting poor
: eating habits as the norm,

I meant this is just conversation, debating ideas. My thoughts may be
right or not but they don't affect what I feed the cat. I am not going
to change the actual diet based on impulses or some newsgroup thread,
without considerable validation from diverse sources. You are probably
not used to the research world where people routinely analyze a lot of
"what if" scenarios.
Old September 15th 05, 03:44 PM
Ajanta

Qwerty wrote:

: What makes you think it's a good idea for people to skip meals?

There is immense vloume of research that occasional fasting---typically
one meal per week, skip the food but not water---is good for human
health, even independent of weight considerations. Of course, cats are
different and the same may or may not apply to them. References to any
research that may have been done are more useful than knee-jerk
arguments and name calling.