Your cats' vocabulary (or what they understand)?

Old August 29th 03, 07:25 AM
LOL

John Rahn wrote in message ...
Just wondering how many have felines that understand how many words and
phrases.

(snipped for length)

Who else has 'understanding' cats?

John R.

Mike knows quite a few words - "mousie," "bowl," "pounces", "crazy
time" (play time), "out," "inside," "be good" (means I'm leaving the
house or going to bed, depending on time of day), "mama," "daddy,"
"water," "look," and I'm sure there are more I can't think of offhand.
I hate to admit it, but there are some words (especially the o-u-t
word, if he can't actually go o-u-t right then) that we spell in front
of the cat.

Mike is not the brightest of cats, but he has his moments. Before I
started working in a more casual office, where this rule didn't always
hold true, he used to watch what shoes I put on when I got dressed in
the mornings. If I put on my tennis shoes, he would get excited and
bounce around because it meant I was staying home and he could go
outside. If I put on any other shoes, he would know I was going to
work, and would curl up to go back to sleep.

------
Krista
Old August 29th 03, 08:15 AM
lrulan

"Marina" wrote in message

Oh, yes, we have the No Doors Shall Remain Closed rule here, too. Not just
cupboards, but closets and room doors have to be at leats ajar for Frank

be happy.

--
Marina

We do here too. Jazz will sit in front of and YOWL at any closed doors
especially to the washer/dryer cabinet.
Jazz & his mama

--

Irulan
from now until the end of time

Old August 29th 03, 12:32 PM
John Rahn

That's funny. Cosmo does that too at closed doors. He's got a closet
(just one) that for some reason, he HATES it when the door is closed.
He will sit in front of the door and meow like crazy, stand up and
jiggle the door knob until I get up and open the door so he can go
inside.

And GOD FORBID that you go into the bathroom and SHUT THE DOOR (I live
alone). He HATES that (so I do it just to mess with his head) . He will
sit outside and cry so sadly, jiggle the knob scratch at the door, and
stick his bog paws under the door. And when I FINALLY open the door he
will come in, yelling at me.

http://www.Usenet.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 100,000 Newsgroups
Old August 29th 03, 08:49 PM
JHBennett

"Tanada" wrote in message
JHBennett wrote:

John, I'm not sure "big boy" is an adequate description. That critter

has
to be huge and strong to pull that kind of stunt off. My guess is the

reach
to a drawer would be something on the order of 26 inches, presuming a
standard counter height of 31 inches. Then, to pull it open? Best not
cross him, buddy.
Jack

Jack, I have a maine coon kitty (QC) who loves to help me cook. She
stands with her paws on the kitchen counter and watches everything that
happens. She has also been known to open cupboard doors (we have
latches on the cupboards here, so it's a lot harder but she's managed)
and we cannot put food in the lower cabinets. She doesn't climb the
counters (thank bast) so the upper cupboards are reasonably safe for
food storage. Knowing QC, she'd open any food cupboards and let the
other cats have a feast, so we use shelves in the garage for storing non
perishables and canned goods. It works, though it is also confusing for
first time visitors.

Pam S.

I'm having visions of the house shaking whenever she walks through a room.
BTW, you do know there are child locks for cupboards. They're clever little
nylon gizmos that you can use to fasten the knobs of two doors together so
they can't be opened, until you pop a release. You're probably having more
fun with the present arrangement though, aren't you ;-)
Cheers, Pam
Jack

Old August 29th 03, 09:54 PM
Tanada

JHBennett wrote:

I'm having visions of the house shaking whenever she walks through a room.
BTW, you do know there are child locks for cupboards. They're clever little
nylon gizmos that you can use to fasten the knobs of two doors together so
they can't be opened, until you pop a release. You're probably having more
fun with the present arrangement though, aren't you ;-)
Cheers, Pam
Jack

Jack, I know about those latches, as I bought some for a friend of mine
some time ago. In our case, we'd have to put knobs onto the cupboard
doors as they're the kind that you pop open by putting your paw, oops
fingers, between the cupboard and the frame. The Cootch doesn't pop
door open very often, and I rather like knowing that my little G girl
can do these things if she wishes. For being such a big girl, QC aka
the Cootch, is very light on her feet. She was sick some time ago and
is only now starting to gain her weight back. I'm now wondering if she
ingested some poison, or a tiny amount of antifreeze when she was out
last winter, as she acted like a friend of ours' cat when she got a few
drops of the stuff.

The Cootch isn't as big as MIL's cat, Leo RB, was. He weighed 45 lbs
and could cover their German raised picture coffee table. He had a paw
span of about 4 inches and ate whatever he wanted. He was best friends
with their 8 lb white deer chihuahua. The two of them would chase each
other through the house. It sounded like a herd of elephants chasing a
herd of sheep, and was guaranteed to wake anyone up from a sound sleep.

Pam S.
Old August 30th 03, 07:19 AM
JHBennett

"Tanada" wrote in message
JHBennett wrote:

[...]

Thought so ;-) --JB

For being such a big girl, QC aka
the Cootch, is very light on her feet. She was sick some time ago and
is only now starting to gain her weight back. I'm now wondering if she
ingested some poison, or a tiny amount of antifreeze when she was out
last winter, as she acted like a friend of ours' cat when she got a few
drops of the stuff.

Hopefully there's a special place in hell for poisoners. --JB

The Cootch isn't as big as MIL's cat, Leo RB, was. He weighed 45 lbs
and could cover their German raised picture coffee table. He had a paw
span of about 4 inches and ate whatever he wanted.

As in *try and stop him.* --JB

He was best friends
with their 8 lb white deer chihuahua. The two of them would chase each
other through the house. It sounded like a herd of elephants chasing a
herd of sheep, and was guaranteed to wake anyone up from a sound sleep.

What happened to that light on their feet bit, Pam? Actually, I had no idea
domestic cats could reach such a size.... Sure we're not talking about an
Ocelot or similar such critter? Frankly, I'd like to have a cat like that
simply to observe what it could do. I once saw a friend's cat--very
ordinary--jump to the top of a door, which was adjar, in a single bound from
the floor. One moment she's sitting at the base of the door, looking up.
The next, she's perched on the edge of the thing looking down on everything.
Had to be a leap of around 6 & 1/2 feet straight up. They certainly have
amazing agility.
Cheers,
Jack

Pam S.

Old August 31st 03, 06:25 AM
JHBennett

"Tanada" wrote in message
JHBennett wrote:

[...]

If I remember correctly Maine Coons are known to reach 30+ lbs and
Norwegian Forest cats can reach into the 40+ lb range. I just know that
MIL's cat was a big softy in most things, though he loved to play rough
with the hoomins. He was terrified of going outside during the day, but
wanted out as soon as it was dark. Normally, he was fairly light on his
feet, but all bets were off when he was chasing Tinkerbelle, the
Chihuahua. Tinkerbelle, was quite fast, but would slow down just enough
so that Leo could keep up with her. When the two slept together, it
looked like Leo had given birth to some really strange kitten.

Sounds like a sight to behold. --JB

Pam S. who should post the picture of Leo and baby Mike

Please do!
Cheers,
Jack