Head Count, Please!

Old March 17th 16, 02:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Head Count, Please!

I know some of us have, sadly, lost a beloved furbaby or two. It's hard
for me to keep up with who is owned by whom.

It's easy enough to remember just one cat but when you have a clowder I
really can't keep up!

I'll start. I am owned by Buffy.

She's really an amazing cat. Before I adopted her she was described as
"timid". Indeed, she was being bullied by another cat (Frankie) in her
household. It's no wonder she was always thought of as timid.

In fact, when I went to meet her she was hunkered down on a chair under
the dining room table. The woman who met me at the house (her owner
died) had to lock Frankie in the sunroom. Even then Buffy wouldn't come
out. It took a bowl of gooshy food to entice her to come out (right
into the Sherpa carrier! Gotcha!)

I didn't see a single toy in her old home. No cat trees or anything,
either.

Well, I got her home and she was shy at first. She immediately went
under the bed. I left her alone for the most part, just talked to her
soothingly when I walked in the room. After a few hours I looked under
the bed but she wasn't there.

I found her on a chair under the dining room table. Buffy, you don't
have to hide anymore!

It didn't take her long to realize hey, that other cat isn't here! And
oh look, are these toys?! Yep.

It only took her a couple of days to come out of her shell and realize
she has the run of the house.

The only rooms she doesn't seem to be interested in are the kitchen
(perhaps because she has no business being around hot pots and pans so I
don't encourage it; that's also not where she is fed) and the guest
bedroom. I've no idea why she wouldn't like the guest bedroom. There's
a nice comfy bed in there.

Anyway, I am owned by one cat named Buffy.

Please refresh my memory about your furbabies.

Jill
Old March 17th 16, 02:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven[_2_]

On Thursday, March 17, 2016 at 9:35:47 AM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
[...]

I, we, proudly serve Squeakytoy.

Micki and I once served a much larger community, Maggie May, Wootoo, the gallant Winnie, hissy Missy and the glamorous and beautiful Sunrise. All of them got old and went to the Bridge, as did their loyal dog friend da Bear.

We were left with da Bear's beloved fur-sister Samantha Shi-Tzu but no cat. We adopted a five-year old cat that Micki named Chanel because she is elegant, white plushy short-hair with a blue-grey "beret" on her head. However, she corrected us as to her name the first time she spoke. She is quite vocal and her name is appropriate. She has settled in beautifully over a couple of years. She spends a lot of time with Samantha and even more time with Micki. She can move quietly, as befits a mighty huntress, but often clomps around as if she were a herd of small horses. She is extremely athletic but gets very little exercise, as far as I can see.

--
Will in New Haven
Old March 17th 16, 06:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy[_3_]

On 3/17/2016 6:48 AM, Will in New Haven wrote:
[...]

I am currently owned by two cats.

Pickles is about seven or eight years old. She was 3 years old when I
originally adopted her, along with her littermate/brother, Waffles, who
went to the bridge a couple of years ago.

Koala is a former feral. I adopted him about a year and a half ago, and
he should be about two years old some time this month. He spent his
first two months here hiding under the bed. He still hides when anybody
else comes around, but he doesn't hide from me any more.

The two have a fairly typical brother-sister relationship. Sometimes
they cuddle together or groom each other. Most of the time they're just
friendly. Occasionally they fight, but not seriously.
Old March 17th 16, 08:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

jmcquown wrote:

I know some of us have, sadly, lost a beloved furbaby or two. It's hard
for me to keep up with who is owned by whom.

It's easy enough to remember just one cat but when you have a clowder I
really can't keep up!

[snip]

Please refresh my memory about your furbabies.

I am owned by a skittish tuxedo boy named Licorice (aka "Licky"). He does
love to be petted and sometimes even cuddled, and will purr his head off,
but he doesn't always feel safe enough to let me get that close. He was
socialized to humans as a kitten, but apparently not quite young enough to
be a total lap fungus.

He's learning how to be an Only Cat, which has its advantages and
disadvantages. Advantage: when he's sleeping in a prime spot, there are
no girlkitties half his size who will come and bap him on the head to
kick him out. Disadvantage: when the human goes to work, he's alone for
hours. I think he gets lonely and/or bored. When I get home, he spends
a lot of time meowing loudly, demanding attention or treats. So I spend
time petting and cuddling him, and I do give him treats. I bought him a
squeaking mouse toy, but eyeroll he's afraid of it! So eventually I
will have to get him a kitty. For now I'm just trying to get my bank
balance back to normal!

--
Joyce

Fluffy Mackerel Pudding - "Once upon a time, the world was young and the words 'mackerel' and 'pudding' existed far, far away from one another. One day, that all changed. And then, whoever was responsible somehow thought the word 'fluffy' would help." -- Hilarious recipes at: www.candyboots.com
Old March 18th 16, 01:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

I know some of us have, sadly, lost a beloved furbaby or two.
It's hard for me to keep up with who is owned by whom.
It's easy enough to remember just one cat but when you have
a clowder I really can't keep up! [...]
Please refresh my memory about your furbabies.

We are staff for three of them:

- Chloe (18 years old, fluffy lilac tortie, very thin and frail
but happy and cuddly)

- Marblecake (10, tabby and white, lazy and tubby)

- Ollie (Marblecake's son, ginger, 8, muscular and energetic).

Ollie and Marblecake have been arguing ever since Ollie got weaned.
I think Marblecake expected him to move out and get a job. Both of
them are happy to snuggle up with Chloe but never with each other.

Old March 19th 16, 05:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Art Shapiro

On 3/17/2016 6:35 AM, jmcquown wrote:

Please refresh my memory about your furbabies.

I'm not a frequent contributor here - just sporadic. Anyway I currently
have five owners:

Giovanni: huge tabby, about 9 years old. A despicable creature- pees
all over the house, howls to go outside about 3 AM EVERY night,
disappears for hours. Purrs less than once a year. Seems to like me,
and after a few years finally considers this place his home rather than
his home base.

Niobe: a pretty little Russian Blue, about five years old. A pleasant
and friendly kitty.

Thud: a dark calico about five years old. Terrified of humans, myself
included. Passed from shelter to shelter and finally scheduled to be
put down as unadoptable. Scared of even having food put in front of
her. But she is often very friendly on my bed, loves Giovanni, has an
amazingly loud purr, and is generally very happy. She'll probably never
climb on my lap, but I'm glad to have her.

Wally: a long-haired cream colored cat, about fifteen years old. Took
her for what was supposed to be a couple months from a lady who was
trying to get back on her feet. That was two years ago. Wally hates
the other cats, although she grudgingly puts up with Thud. And she's an
affection junkie to the degree of being irritating. Otherwise, she's an
OK kitty.

Gargantua: appeared at my door last September as a dirty, matted,
flea-covered, starving kitten. A gorgeous kitty with a huge tail,
either a birman or a ragdoll. Extremely hyperactive, knocks stuff off
shelves and counters, and enjoys roughhousing with Thud and Niobe. Not
wildly affectionate, but a pleasant-enough kitty.

Art
Old March 20th 16, 03:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 09:35:44 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:

The oldest is Nipsy, a big grey longhair who whines almost constantly.
When I first got him I took him to the vet trying to find out what the
problem was, but he just likes to whine. Addicted to Temptations.
I got him from a former co-worker who couldn't keep him. Nipsy is
probably 13 or 14. I'll have to check with the vet. I think he's been
losing weight, so he does need a trip to the vet.

Marlo is a fat little girl, also probably 13. I took her off the
street one freezing February day. She has a small head and very large
eyes, and is white, grey, and brown. I'm trying to figure out how to
get her to eat less because the vet is worried that she'll get
diabetes. Except for her coloring, she looks very much like that cat
clock - the one with the eyes moving left and right with each tick.

Scooter forced his way into the house. I used to have a yard that I
had fenced so my cats couldn't get out, but Scooter kept coming in,
causing havoc with Espy (RB) who was the alpha. I decided that if
Scooter wanted in so badly, he would join the brood with a proper
introduciton. WIth Espy goine, Scooter is the main troublemaker and
personality. He's a tuxedo cat. He's probably 8 or 9.

Baby, aorund 6, is a mostly black cat who was born in a box outside my
old house's front door. She lived on the street with her mom, Jet, and
a few other feral cats. But she was the most friendly of them, and
when I was going to move to Florida, and the other main feeder
(Serene) was moving to a different part of Florida, I took baby into
the house and brought her with me. I'm not sure it wasn't a mistake
because she still spends most of the time under the bed, but she has
been coming out more often lately. It does take a while for some
half-feral cats to get used to being indoors so we'll see how it works
out.

All the cats, except Scooter, are pretty much invisible when visitors
come to the house. Sccoter isn't very adventurous but is willing to
show himself after a tlittle while.
Old April 1st 16, 07:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

wrote:

The oldest is Nipsy, a big grey longhair who whines almost constantly.
When I first got him I took him to the vet trying to find out what the
problem was, but he just likes to whine. Addicted to Temptations.
I got him from a former co-worker who couldn't keep him. Nipsy is
probably 13 or 14. I'll have to check with the vet. I think he's been
losing weight, so he does need a trip to the vet.

Just had Nipsy at the vet. He lost a pound (15 down to 14) over the
last year. They took some blood and we'll get the results later today
or tomorrow but it doesn't look bad. He is 14 1/2 years old so he is
starting to get a bit grey around the head. Of course, he was grey to
start with so it's hard to tell. He's getting old.
Old April 4th 16, 03:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

wrote:

The oldest is Nipsy, a big grey longhair who whines almost constantly.
When I first got him I took him to the vet trying to find out what the
problem was, but he just likes to whine. Addicted to Temptations.
I got him from a former co-worker who couldn't keep him. Nipsy is
probably 13 or 14. I'll have to check with the vet. I think he's been
losing weight, so he does need a trip to the vet.

Just had Nipsy at the vet. He lost a pound (15 down to 14) over the
last year. They took some blood and we'll get the results later today
or tomorrow but it doesn't look bad. He is 14 1/2 years old so he is
starting to get a bit grey around the head. Of course, he was grey to
start with so it's hard to tell. He's getting old.

Did Nipsy have a T4 tests (for hyperthyroidism), along with his other
blood work? You listed three of the most common symptoms--weight loss
(although that is common at that age), old age, and whining/crying
frequently. Those are the characteristics that led me to request a T4
test for Duffy, and the test confirmed hyperthyroidism even though the
vet could not feel a lump in the thyroid. Duffy has a very good vet,
but this is one case where I had to request the test myself.

MaryL

Old April 11th 16, 03:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

wrote:

[...]

Good point; I did ask about the thyroid in particular but I'll check
witich thyroid tests were done. But the whining really is a case of
the Boy Who Cried Wolf. He always whines so it's tough to know if
anythng speical is happening.

Alll of the tests that were done came back normal.