Abelard is near death

Old December 25th 10, 10:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

Default Abelard is near death

wrote:

You've been giving him fluids from a bag attached to a hose, with a
needle at the other end, that gets stuck under his skin?

We were, but we won't need to be doing it anymore. He died a while
ago. I don't think he felt any pain. He had one very brief seizure,
not a rough one, then he was gone.

Old December 25th 10, 10:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

MLB wrote:

Stroke him gently, talk to him softly and keep him warm and comfortable.
* I wish I had done that instead of hauling Princess (RB16) off to the
emergency Vet.

I'm glad we did it this way. I think he is too. Miss him already.
There's a great big hole in the center of my chest now. Huge hurt. He
deserved so much more out of life.

Old December 25th 10, 10:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

Default A footnote about the fluids

He was getting something different in the IV drip than what they sent
with us Thursday. Whatever he was getting in the IV must have had
electrolytes or something that kept up his energy, and this other
fluid was just normal saline solution. Maybe saline solution is all
you can use under the skin, for all I know. In any event, it wasn't
what was needed to keep him going.

We noticed that he didn't absorb all the liquid they injected into his
back before leaving the clinic until past midnight. That's when I gave
more. Then I waited until he had absorbed all of that, and gave
another shot. That one, too, took quite some time to be absorbed, but
as soon as it was, I gave another. Meanwhile, his abdominal cavity
seemed to be full of fluid, it was distended and soft. I was wondering
if the fluid was all collecting there. I was kind of scared that it
would hurt him to have more. But then, the last shot of fluid we gave
him seemed to get absorbed in half the time as the previous three.

I don't understand it all, least of all the rapid breathing. Also,
yesterday his body temp seemed to be going down again, but tonight as
he lay dying, and breathing so fast, his body was warm like a cat's
body ought to be. I wish I knew what actually ended up killing him.
Was it the wrong fluid he got for the last few days? Should he have
had the same fluid he was getting in the IV drip?
Old December 25th 10, 11:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Pat wrote:
MLB wrote:

Stroke him gently, talk to him softly and keep him warm and comfortable.
I wish I had done that instead of hauling Princess (RB16) off to the
emergency Vet.

I'm glad we did it this way. I think he is too. Miss him already.
There's a great big hole in the center of my chest now. Huge hurt. He
deserved so much more out of life.

"....And we shall shortly know that lengthened breath'Is not the
sweetest gift God sends His friend.
But sometimes the sable pall of death'Conceals the greatest boon His
love can send."

Rest in Peace sweet friend. MLB
Old December 25th 10, 11:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sharon & Smudgie[_3_]

We were, but we won't need to be doing it anymore. He died a while
ago. I don't think he felt any pain. He had one very brief seizure,
not a rough one, then he was gone.

So sorry for your loss Pat

Thinking of you

Sharon & Smudgie

Old December 25th 10, 12:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

On 25/12/2010 12:31, Pat wrote:
wrote:

You've been giving him fluids from a bag attached to a hose, with a
needle at the other end, that gets stuck under his skin?

We were, but we won't need to be doing it anymore. He died a while
ago. I don't think he felt any pain. He had one very brief seizure,
not a rough one, then he was gone.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.

Old December 25th 10, 01:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
---MIKE---

I am so sorry to read about Abelard's death. It was just his time to
go. At least he died peacefully with those he loved at his side.
That's much better than going in a cage at the vet.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old December 25th 10, 01:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

On Dec 25, 5:31*am, Pat wrote:
wrote:
You've been giving him fluids from a bag attached to a hose, with a
needle at the other end, that gets stuck under his skin?

We were, but we won't need to be doing it anymore. He died a while
ago. I don't think he felt any pain. He had one very brief seizure,
not a rough one, then he was gone.

I am so sorry for your loss.
Old December 25th 10, 02:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
NettieCat

On Dec 25, 10:31*am, Pat wrote:
wrote:
You've been giving him fluids from a bag attached to a hose, with a
needle at the other end, that gets stuck under his skin?

We were, but we won't need to be doing it anymore. He died a while
ago. I don't think he felt any pain. He had one very brief seizure,
not a rough one, then he was gone.

The hard part has ended for him, but it's just the start of it for
you.

Remember that you did the very best that you could for him. I have so
many friends who have, sadly, lost elderly or sickly cats this year,
and every single one had 'what ifs' after the death, not because they
could have done anything differently, but because it's a natural part
of grieving to look for a way in which the death could have been
avoided or delayed.

It's absolutely clear to me that you did the best for Abelard. He
would not have benefitted from being rushed to the vets. My sister's
cat had massive seizures last year and we took him to the emergency
vet, we were there for hours, waiting, until the decision was made to
put him to sleep. I would have kept him at home if it had been my cat,
but she felt that she had to 'do something'. He wasn't conscious, so
the trip didn't harm him, but it didn't help either.

My condolences to all of you, be kind to yourselves.

Jeanette

This may be the death of me (OT) [email protected] Cat anecdotes 7 May 17th 09 10:23 PM
Death by Cat PatM Cat anecdotes 0 November 6th 07 08:25 PM
Monkey with a Death Wish! jmcquown Cat anecdotes 27 July 22nd 06 11:40 AM
Death of My Cat Last Week Feles Cat health & behaviour 71 May 7th 06 12:15 AM
Ann... the death of my cat Karen Chuplis Cat health & behaviour 13 July 28th 03 08:25 PM