I was disturbed by "Cold Mountain" the movie

Old September 21st 04, 05:20 PM
formerly known as 'cat arranger'

Default I was disturbed by "Cold Mountain" the movie

Did anyone else see that and know which scene
I am referring to?

Old September 21st 04, 06:01 PM
CatNipped

"formerly known as 'cat arranger'" wrote
in message news:OxY3d.330307$Oi.16280@fed1read04...
Did anyone else see that and know which scene
I am referring to?

Yes, I think I know to what you're referring and, though it may upset our
sensibilities today, such was life at that time (and actually still is for
most rural residents). I don't know if you're a vegan or not, but if you're
not, the only difference between that and what you eat for your supper is
that the process as been "sanitized" for your benefit and you don't have to
do the dirty work yourself, just pick up your meat in a plastic wrapper in
your grocery. (No snideness intended).

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old September 22nd 04, 07:48 AM

:
: Yes, I think I know to what you're referring and, though it may upset our
: sensibilities today, such was life at that time (and actually still is for
: most rural residents). I don't know if you're a vegan or not, but if
you're
: not, the only difference between that and what you eat for your supper is
: that the process as been "sanitized" for your benefit and you don't have
: do the dirty work yourself, just pick up your meat in a plastic wrapper in
: your grocery. (No snideness intended).
:
: Hugs,
:
: CatNipped
:
:

I really didn't want to brutalize someone who hadn't
seen the movie but I'm glad to have someone to talk
to about it.

You bring up the excellent point about necessity. My
problem was that I saw the clip without the sound the
first time. When I couldn't believe what I saw I watched
it again with the sound track. It was a very different thing.
I don't agree that it is the same as regular food because
the animal was a pet and if ever there was an example of
a Judas goat then that was it. I wonder if that saying
somehow unconsciously prompted the scene. There are
so many examples of farmers who can't do what she did
because the animals have become pets. I don't know if
you would feel the same way if you watched without the
sound track. It looked like one of the cruelest things I've
ever seen and it seemed to be intended to be that way.
I doubt very many people are that cruel. Yes I'm a vegan
except for egg whites and milk. I used to eat chicken until
we got some for eggs and they became pets. After you've
had a chicken jump into your lap and take bread from your
lips and ride on your arm like one of those peregrine falcons,
.... it makes me laugh thinking about it... then it's hard to eat
them. The same thing happened to me when I was exposed
to cows at a horse ranch.

Old September 22nd 04, 04:52 PM
Richard Evans

wrote:

: Yes, I think I know to what you're referring

For the sake of those of us who don't, how about a clue? I saw the
movie. The only scene I can remember is possibly the one where they
killed the rooster.

Dick Evans

Old September 22nd 04, 05:00 PM

: wrote:
:
: : Yes, I think I know to what you're referring
:
: For the sake of those of us who don't, how about a clue? I saw the
: movie. The only scene I can remember is possibly the one where they
: killed the rooster.
:
: Dick Evans

It was when the older lady killed the goat.
It's really not a good thing to watch, though
if you're easily disturbed by depictions of
animal cruelty, imho.

Old September 22nd 04, 05:08 PM
CatNipped

"formerly known as 'cat arranger'" wrote
in message news:Te94d.330461$Oi.170821@fed1read04...

[...]

Personally, I don't think I could do that, either (although my parents
killed and cooked a "pet" chicken when I was a kid - I refused supper that
night). But I have to ask, which would you prefer to be, an animal that was
loved, petted, cared for and then killed to provide sustenance, or an animal
that is kept in a cage its entire life, force fed to be fattened up, and
then herded into pens smelling of blood and fear to be slaughtered
wholesale? I'd pick the first.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Too cold Stacey Cat anecdotes 58 January 25th 04 07:51 PM
Declawing mentioned in movie "Elf" KellyH Cat health & behaviour 3 November 16th 03 01:13 AM