Back from Mexico and a brief rant

Old January 2nd 06, 03:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Back from Mexico and a brief rant

Happy New Year for all of you all over the world! May 2006 be a better
year than 2005 for all of us.
We just returned from spending a great vacation in Mexico, Tom's first
x-mas with my family. It was a blast. I hope all of you who celebrate
something this time of year had a good time.

Now for the rant.

We've used the same pet sitter to care for our crew for many years now.
When we hired her she told us she would spend 30 minutes in our house
during each visit, feeding, cleaning boxes, turning lights on/off,
bringing mail and newspaper in, etc. *and* playing with the cats to keep
them some company. We've never had a reason to complain. Until now. We
recently signed up for a new home alarm system that keeps track of when
the alarm gets turned on and off. Turns out the pet sitter spent an
average of less than 10 minutes per visit, including one 2 minutes
visit!!! We are livid! We've always been very generous with her, since
she takes care of our most beloved cats. We always give her a 20% tip on
top of her regular rate.
We need a new pet sitter.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old January 2nd 06, 03:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, you need a new pet sitter -- and tell her *why.* Maybe she will learn
from that and not take advantage of her next client. (I would be outraged,
too, just as you are.)

MaryL

Old January 2nd 06, 05:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

MaryL wrote:
[...]

Exactly. I'm reminded of folks who hire baby sitters and the sitter doesn't
know they have cameras in the house... they catch people doing awful things
in their home *and* to their kids.

This woman needs to be told in this world of technology you just never know
when/if Big Brother is watching. 2 minutes on one visit? That's not even
enough time to clean ONE litterbox, let alone multiples.

Jill

Old January 2nd 06, 07:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Happy New Year for all of you all over the world! May 2006 be a better
year than 2005 for all of us.
We just returned from spending a great vacation in Mexico, Tom's first
x-mas with my family. It was a blast. I hope all of you who celebrate
something this time of year had a good time.

So how was Christmas. Had Tom been around the whole family at once before?

What special meals do you have over the Christmas holidays?

Jo

Old January 2nd 06, 11:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"jmcquown" wrote in message
MaryL wrote:
[...]

No, it's not enough time. It takes me at LEAST 10 minutes to clean 1 box
and I have 2 to do. (But then again, I'm really anal about cleaning the
boxes.) She obviously didn't play with the cats, either. Get a new sitter!

kili

Old January 2nd 06, 11:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

kilikini wrote:

No, it's not enough time. It takes me at LEAST 10 minutes to clean
1 box and I have 2 to do. (But then again, I'm really anal about
cleaning the boxes.) She obviously didn't play with the cats, either.
Get a new sitter!

I do cat sitting, and after the basic feeding and scooping duties, I like
to spend at least half an hour, sometimes an hour, just hanging out with
the kitties - because I LIKE THEM! That's why I do it! I now have a few
regular folks I've cat-sat for several times, so I've gotten to know the
kitties and have developed relationships with them. They like me, and want
me to play with them, brush them, cuddle on the couch with them, and so
on. Hey, these people have TVs. I know how to relax with the remote in one
hand and a cat purring on me. If I didn't need the money, I'd do it
for free, at least for my friends.

I just did two concurrent catsitting jobs last weekend (over Christmas)
and one of them was a sleep-over. This was for a very cute tabby girl
who was the only cat in a tiny apartment. At first she didn't seem very
impressed with me, and didn't like me to pet her very much (although
she did enjoy nuzzling my fingers with her nose, and rubbing her cheek
scent glands against my hands). But she kept her distance otherwise,
until I discovered some of her favorite games. Then I was her best friend.

The other job required me to stop in once a day and let the cats in from
outside so they could eat. There was a cat flap in the door, but it only
opened in one direction - from inside to outside. So if I left the house
with either or both of them inside, they could get out if they wanted to,
but then couldn't get back in again. This was because there was a
neighborhood cat who would come in and pee in the house. This job was
very easy and just required me to show up, open the back door and call
them. If either was around, they'd come in and chomp on the dry food,
which was always down for them to free-feed on. But I would hang out for
a while because one of the cats liked to cuddle with me on the person's
bed, and get brushed. The other one was more remote, but would occasionally
meow at me for pets and scritches.

I really enjoy cat sitting!!

Joyce
Old January 2nd 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message

We've never had a reason to complain. Until now. We
recently signed up for a new home alarm system that keeps track of when
the alarm gets turned on and off. Turns out the pet sitter spent an
average of less than 10 minutes per visit, including one 2 minutes
visit!!! We are livid!///

I'm not surprised that you are furious. I would be absolutely fuming
too. My morning routine of feeding 4 cats & cleaning 2 litter boxes
properly takes a MINIMUM of 15 minutes. For 7 cats, multiple litter
boxes, washing dishes etc it would take AT LEAST 20!

As for the 2 minute visit - there is no way that she would have been
able to clean boxes. That is a throw food at them and run.

Helen M

Old January 2nd 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Happy New Year for all of you all over the world! May 2006 be a better
year than 2005 for all of us.
We just returned from spending a great vacation in Mexico, Tom's first
x-mas with my family. It was a blast. I hope all of you who celebrate
something this time of year had a good time.

Now for the rant.

I'm not surprised you are angry. I'd be furious too. You need a new cat
sitter and the current one needs to be told why she has just lost a client.
If you know any of her other clients, perhaps they need to be informed???

Oh, and a happy new year

Cheers, helen s

Old January 2nd 06, 06:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Jo Firey wrote:
So how was Christmas. Had Tom been around the whole family at once before?

X-mas was great! Tom had already met all my sisters and one
brother-in-law. He also knew all but 3 nieces. It was a lot of fun,
albeit a short visit with the whole family.

What special meals do you have over the Christmas holidays?

For x-mas eve dinner we had bacalao (dry cod fish prepared mediterranean
style), romeritos (a plant that looks kinda like rosemary, cooked with
shrimp patties and mole), a turkey and my famous shrimp bisque.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he