Guess I Don't Count Around Here

Old June 18th 09, 02:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

Default Guess I Don't Count Around Here

OK I know Jake is Charlie's cat. And I know that Jake knows I can't
hear a great deal of the time. (I really doubt the cats know when I'm
wearing my hearing processor)

I've been home all afternoon. I've been the only human/slave home,
and I've been very available as I don't feel well and was resting in
the bedroom with my knee up on a pillow.

I did hear a great deal of bird racket outside but didn't go check on
it. I also quit trying to answer the phone. I can't understand half
of what I hear on it, and usually can't do much about the other half.
Got tired of going to look for the phone with a decent speaker since
all the calls were junk or grandsons with problems I don't feel like
dealing with today. No spare money at the moment and don't feel like
giving anybody a ride anywhere.

Charlie was out shopping. He is a big believer in the pre-father's
day men's wear sales.

When he came home a bit ago, he was showing me what he bought and Jake
came in complaining to his daddy at the top of his meezer lungs. I
don't know what his story was but he started it half way down the hall
on his way to the bedroom, and talked to Charlie for another solid
five minutes when he got there.

I suspect some of the subjects were the miserable birds, the
squirrels, the state freshness of food and water supplies and the dog.
Oh and how little help I am for a poor beleaguered cat who's daddy was
missing for hours and hours.

The rest was probably gossip not considered fit for 'the ladies'. I
know there was swearing involved.

Jo

Old June 18th 09, 04:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB

Jofirey wrote:
[...]

Sorry you are feeling punk! Remember the song "Tomorrow"?

Tomorrow, tomorrow, the sun will shine tomorrow -- hopefully! Best feel
better wishes for you and that darn cat. MLB

Old June 18th 09, 04:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=[_2_]

[...]

Silly cat.
I'm sorry you're feeling so bad. Purrs sent for you to feel better soon
Kyla

Old June 18th 09, 04:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

"Jofirey" wrote:
OK I know Jake is Charlie's cat. And I know that Jake knows I can't
hear a great deal of the time. (I really doubt the cats know when I'm
wearing my hearing processor)

That was funny. I like your rationale for not answering the phone.
They should make electronic interfaces for those things so that you
can do what others cannot - plug your brain directly into your phone
or stereo.

For some reason, I'd pictured Jake as being a very quiet meezer cat.
Old June 18th 09, 05:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Takayuki" wrote in message
"Jofirey" wrote:
OK I know Jake is Charlie's cat. And I know that Jake knows I can't
hear a great deal of the time. (I really doubt the cats know when
I'm
wearing my hearing processor)

That was funny. I like your rationale for not answering the phone.

They should make electronic interfaces for those things so that you
can do what others cannot - plug your brain directly into your phone
or stereo.

For some reason, I'd pictured Jake as being a very quiet meezer cat.

They do have accessories that are supposed to improve phone use and
connection. The way this works, my phone would be wired directly into
the coil in my brain. I just can't bring myself to think it would
work reliable for me since I am still very dependent on lip reading.
Its like once I learned it, I can't let it go.

Sundays are the worst. I can communicate face to face with most of my
family, even without the processor if needed. Gets a little bit like
charades, but heck I raised them before they learned how to talk and I
understood them them.

Charlie hold the honor of being the least cooperative family member
around my ear surgeons clientele. He was raised with a crippled
sister and learned from the time he was a toddler never to help her
with something she could do her self.

That comes naturally to him, so he just isn't looking for anything he
can do to help us. Like being in the room when he tries to tell me
something so I can at least see his like. He covers his mouth when he
talks like a Japanese school girl. He is the only person I've run
into that having their lips read made them so uncomfortable. Even
strangers try and do pretty well. Unless English is their second or
third language and the first was something Asiatic. Then they are
working so hard to get English words our, the lip formation just isn't
normal.

But far and away the worst challenge is the guy that cuts our lawn.
He rides a bicycle. Doesn't have a drivers license any more. We know.
or rather my daughter know his family very well. They are quite
'respectable and all that. Family owns a ranch, brother owns a
business. Mamma is sick and Joe takes care of her all the time. He
gets a few hours off in the evenings and goes out and does yard work
for those lucky enough to know about him.

I'd be nearly as happy if he even just came to play with the dog.
Kayla would certainly be happy. When it was cold last winter, he
would come in by the fire and watch football and share dinner. He
would play magic tricks with the dog for hours.

But he has a permanent tracheotomy. Everyone but me seems to
understand him just fine. I can't understand him at all, and I can't
stop staring at his mouth trying to get a clue as to what he's saying,
only his lips don't move. Makes me feel useless but it doesn't appear
to bother him that much and we have had some very strange
conversations.
Jo

Old June 18th 09, 09:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Jofirey wrote:
[...]

It sounds like you need a hug, {{{{{{{{{ Jo }}}}}}}}}.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old June 18th 09, 01:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Adrian" wrote in message
om...
Jofirey wrote:
[...]

Thank you

Today should be a better day. Took my kick ass pain killer at 3:30
AM. Got up and cleaned the kitchen. Make coffee and the dogs food is
in her bowl.

(I take some pretty major pain killers, and have a paradoxal reaction
to them. They blur the pain away but leave me wide awake for several
hours)

I should be able to sleep in another thirty minutes and probably will
until noon if I can. Haven't had a decent night sleep in about four
days.

I have Rheumatic Arthritis. Could be a lot worse. But the next few
months will be hard as I'm changing medication and will have to wean
off some of the stuff that isn't working for me anymore.

Oh well, at least the dog and cats don't object to company at 3am, and
Charlie can sleep through anything if he's sleeping well.

If no one sleeps, we just watch TV all night and try to stay our of
each others way the next day.

Jo

Old June 18th 09, 06:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Jofirey" wrote in message
[...]

I don't how I would feel if there was someone else living here and Boyfie
preferred them to me. I suspect I'd feel like you do.
Fortunately he has no choice - it's meowmie or no-one ;-)
He makes it clear that he adores me and any visitor signals a rush to the
great outside in case of whatever might happen (except Simon) who is the
only person in the world who has witnessed him kneading me, and that took 5
years.
If he had a choice of familiar adults living in the house and he didn't
choose me I would be a bit offended I have to admit, although I shouldn't be
as cats choose their own hoomins, don't they.
I only had one dog that didn't prefer me when my husband was alive (and at
the time I had 11) - that was the lurcher, Trim. She like her daddy best
because he took her out hunting which is what lurchers like to do. When he
died she wasted no time grieving, merely transferred her allegiance to me
within 24 hours.
All the whippets liked me best. They are gentle dogs and my husband was a
big drinker hence his early demise. He could get quite aggressive in drink
and it used to frighten them. They could not make sense of it. In the
morning he was nice to them and in the evening he was scary and kept telling
them off for nothing. Me too.
Although it's an awful thing to say our lives were so much more peaceful
when he'd gone.
We could all relax.
Do you know dogs can suffer depression when there is marital disharmony?
Apparently so. I'm not sure about cats, although if they were totally
indoor and witnessed it regularly I don't see why not.

Tweed