Feeding Habits ....

Old September 9th 03, 01:10 AM
Allegra640

Default Feeding Habits ....

And another dumb question for the feline lovers in this group---in my upcoming
struggle to wean my girls off hand-feeding and get them on proper feeding
schedules, should I leave food in their bowls all day or just give them
regularly scheduled meals and pick up the food when they're finished?
Old September 9th 03, 05:00 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Allegra640 wrote:

And another dumb question for the feline lovers in this group---in my upcoming
struggle to wean my girls off hand-feeding and get them on proper feeding
schedules, should I leave food in their bowls all day or just give them
regularly scheduled meals and pick up the food when they're finished?

My cats have all been "nibblers", and never all that eager to attack
their bowls as soon as they appear, so I leave everything down for them
all day. (Obviously the moist food looks rather unappetizing by the end
of the day, but that doesn't keep them from eating more of it before I
have a chance to put fresh down.)
Old September 9th 03, 07:44 AM
rrb_041303

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) said:

Allegra640 wrote:

And another dumb question for the feline lovers in this group---in my upcoming
struggle to wean my girls off hand-feeding and get them on proper feeding
schedules, should I leave food in their bowls all day or just give them
regularly scheduled meals and pick up the food when they're finished?

My cats have all been "nibblers", and never all that eager to attack
their bowls as soon as they appear, so I leave everything down for them
all day. (Obviously the moist food looks rather unappetizing by the end
of the day, but that doesn't keep them from eating more of it before I
have a chance to put fresh down.)

You are able to leave moist - i.e. canned - food out all day without the
cats getting sick? Is it canned food or just soft food? If it is canned
what is the temperature where you live or inside anyway? If I tried that
here I would have two sick puking cats on my hands. I leave the canned
food out for a maximum of an hour, twice a day, and then dump it. They
both have dry food available all day.

Old September 12th 03, 06:46 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Allegra640 wrote:

Evelyn,

Out of curiosity, how often do you change their dry food? Every day?

"Change"? I just top it up when it hits the halfway mark! If you have
an insect problem where you live, you might want to empty the dish more
regularly, but I just let them eat it down for an extra day, then dump
the little bit in the bottom, clean the dish and refill it. I try to do
it once a week, but that doesn't always happen.
Old September 12th 03, 07:19 AM
Jo Firey

Sounds like here. We always make sure the dry food is topped up. Every four or five
days they get a clean bowl and fresh start. Or if its really low, I'll throw out
what's left and fill a clean bowl.

--
Jo Firey

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take
our breath away."

Hand Feeding Allegra640 Cat anecdotes 7 September 7th 03 12:41 AM
Feeding dilemma Yoj Cat anecdotes 11 August 24th 03 11:48 PM
re feeding dilemma Jean H Cat anecdotes 1 August 24th 03 07:43 PM
Feeding dilemma Victor M. Martinez Cat anecdotes 4 July 22nd 03 08:31 PM