Tapazole and Appetite

Old August 9th 04, 08:38 AM
Mary

Default Tapazole and Appetite

"Phil P." wrote in message

"Mary" wrote in message
r.com...

I am wondering if others have seen
appetite/taste changes in their hyperthyroid cats after tapazole

treatment

Absolutely. The reduced energy expenditure is usually accompanied by a
reduced (normal) appetite. Since she no longer as a ravenous appetite,
she'll probably become more finicky about her food.

However, about 10% of the cats on Tapazole experience varying degrees of
anorexia. This often resolves without any adjustment in dosage.

Thank you, Phil. Since Buddha now weighs 13.5 lbs and the vet says she
should weigh maybe 8 pounds, anorexia is not a frightening as it might be in
a leaner cat. But I'll be careful and see about the vet reducing her dosage
if this continues. He told me that her state of overweight might be a source
of concern once her thyroid levels were corrected, as she might actually get
fatter. That would really be bad, but anorexia is not good eiher. I'll keep
an eye on her.

Old August 9th 04, 09:02 AM
Phil P.

"Mary" wrote in message
r.com...

"Phil P." wrote in message

"Mary" wrote in message
[...]

Mary,

You must be *very* careful about her weight and try very hard to *gradually*
reduce it. If she develops any illness or situation that causes her to stop
eating she'd be at a very high risk of developing serious hepatic lipidosis
(fatty liver disease). If you put her on a weight-reduction diet be
absolutely sure she does not lose more than a pound every four weeks.
(Might be a good time to buy a good pediatric scale, i.e., Tanita 1583)

We use two *safe* weight-loss programs that were designed by the president
of the American College of Veterinary Nutrition that we've had great success
with. They're both relatively simple and don't require any special foods.
If you're interested, let me know.

Phil

Old August 9th 04, 04:06 PM
Mary

"Phil P." wrote Mary,

You must be *very* careful about her weight and try very hard to

*gradually* reduce it. If she develops any illness or situation that causes
her to stop eating she'd be at a very high risk of developing serious
hepatic lipidosis
(fatty liver disease). If you put her on a weight-reduction diet be

absolutely sure she does not lose more than a pound every four weeks. (Might
be a good time to buy a good pediatric scale, i.e., Tanita 1583)

We use two *safe* weight-loss programs that were designed by the president

of the American College of Veterinary Nutrition that we've had great success
with. They're both relatively simple and don't require any special foods.

If you're interested, let me know.

I am interested, though I do not plan to address her overweight until after
we have her radiation therapy. Could you email me at ? Or
perhaps others might also be interested so that you might post it here.

This morning Buddha again was not interested in her wet food, and threw up
her Tapazole. I have a call in to my vet now. I'm thinking you were right
about the dosage being too high and we need to half it. I'll keep you
posted, and look forward to the diet advice.