Spot is still with us and needs feeding

Old October 23rd 03, 04:59 PM
Animal luva

Default Spot is still with us and needs feeding

[I recently posted here under two alias's ("mug punter" and "animal luva")
thanks to OE. I think I have it sorted now.]
I want to thank everyone again for their kind wishes (posted or not). I
shall attempt to create a web page or two for him.
http://www.freesite.myby.co.uk/spot/photo.htm

Originally diagnosed (30th Sept) with oral squamous cell carcinoma (with a
very poor prognosis), Spot has been allowed to eat whatever he wants.
His diet has mainly consists of boiled coley and cat milks/water.
Occasionally he gets to eat cooked chicken and raw steak.
Baby foods were lapped up but he soon went off them.
Lately, he's began eating a little whiskas and felix - his usual diet - but
whatver he choses, he doesn't eat enough IMO.
A week ago the vet weighed him at 5.2Kg.

The vet hadn't given us a realistic timescale for euthanasia but passed the
responsibilty to Spot, saying "Spot will let you know when".
Despite having a few odd days here and there (which is not proved to be
accountable to his cancer), Spot is showing clear signs of enjoying life.

The vet now thinks Spot may not be in so much pain as initially thought.
Spot weighed in at 5.1Kg.

I'm now concerned for Spot's diet as I've read that this cancer feeds on
proteins and a low-protein diet is recommended.
How can we now ensure Spot not only eats enough, but eats the right kinds of
food?

Old October 24th 03, 01:45 AM
Cheryl

In ,
Animal luva composed with style:

The vet now thinks Spot may not be in so much pain as initially
thought. Spot weighed in at 5.1Kg.

Glad Spot isn't losing weight! Good! Purrs from my guys for him to
feel better.

Old October 25th 03, 01:18 PM
Animal luva

Cheryl wrote:
In ,
Animal luva composed with style:

The vet now thinks Spot may not be in so much pain as initially
thought. Spot weighed in at 5.1Kg.

Glad Spot isn't losing weight! Good! Purrs from my guys for him to
feel better.

Thanks Cheryl. {Spot} purrs, squints 'n' head-butts back to the guys.
I neglected to mention Spot recorded an average 6-6.5Kg until October last
year.
For whatever reason, the vet ceased recording his weight then, only recently
resumed on request.

Regards,
AL + Spot.

Old October 28th 03, 08:05 AM
Kathryn Stein

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 16:59:27 +0100, "Animal luva"
wrote:

I'm now concerned for Spot's diet as I've read that this cancer feeds on
proteins and a low-protein diet is recommended.
How can we now ensure Spot not only eats enough, but eats the right kinds of
food?

I'd check on this. I have read just the opposite -- that cancer feeds
on carbohydrates and not protein. I can't remember where I've read it,
but it's more than a few times. If I can dig up the reference I'll
post it here.

Old October 28th 03, 04:31 PM
Animal luva

wrote:

I'm now concerned for Spot's diet as I've read that this cancer
feeds on proteins and a low-protein diet is recommended.
How can we now ensure Spot not only eats enough, but eats the right
kinds of food?

I'd check on this. I have read just the opposite -- that cancer feeds
on carbohydrates and not protein. I can't remember where I've read it,
but it's more than a few times. If I can dig up the reference I'll
post it here.

Thank you for your advice Kathryn. I think what I read referenced SCC, other
articles relate to other cancers.
At the end of the day, it will make little difference but if the info is
available, I'd like to know about it.
I've trawled many a clinical report but most of it goes over my head. If we
had more time...
I'm looking for simple-to-follow guidelines on what to avoid and what to
promote.
Regards,
AL

Old October 30th 03, 06:04 AM
Kathryn Stein

wrote:

[...]

I've been looking to find the original articles, but can't find them
yet. My dog, Lily, was dx'd with osteosarcoma in the roof of her
mouth last winter and it was then that I came across the
recommendations to feed a low carb, high protein diet. As I remember,
the authors said that cancer cells thrive on carbs. Other studies talk
about baked and fried carbs increasing cancer *risk*.

In my dog's case it was osteosarcoma and not squamous cell and I don't
know if that makes a difference.

Good luck with Spot.

Kathi