Senior food to put weight on needed.

Old May 6th 10, 04:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kraut[_2_]

Default Senior food to put weight on needed.

I have an 18 / 19 years old indoor only tortie that weighs about 5
pounds. She weighed about 4 when we had her spayed (Female) after
having kittens when she was about 3 years old. She eats well and has
no problem with the litter box. She pees and poops fine. I can not
feel her ribs or bones but she just looks skinny and always has. I
pick her up and it is like picking up a feather. The other 4 all are
in their mid teens weight wise and from 9 to 11 years old. She runs
and jumps and plays with toys though not like when she was younger.
Now when she walks it is like watching an 80 year old human walk
compared to a teenagers walk. If interested a pic of her is at
http://users.ameritech.net/lestark/kitty-stand.jpg or
http://users.ameritech.net/lestark/kitty-win.jpg

She goes to vet and was checked and found everything within normal
range about a year ago. They have 3 types of dry food available all
the time with Royal Canin indoor mature 27 in the room where she
spends most of her time and Friskies Feline Favorites and then a
different dry each month (This month Purina Pro Plan hairball formula)
so they can have a variety. Then twice a day they get a can of Fancy
Feast grilled and a can of Fancy Feast Gourmet for 5 cats.

I am looking for something I can feed her that might put a little meat
on Kitty (Her name). At her age I kind of give her what she likes at
times even if some think it might not be real good for her. Like
couple nights ago I gave the five a small can of people tuna. I do
that maybe once a month for a treat or I will get a 10 piece chicken
nuggets at Mickey Dee's for them but no sauce :-} .

Thanks for any suggestions.

Old May 6th 10, 05:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene

Try something like Innova Evo canned food. It's very high quality,
grain free, and higher in calories than some canned foods. Our cats
love Evo, and it's available in several varieties. http://www.naturapet.com

IMO, not trying to start a flame war here, your senior girl should eat
most or (better) all canned food diet. A high-quality canned food
won't have carbohydrates (which cats don't need anyway), good protein,
and moisture (always good for all kitties). At her age, the more
nutrient-packed the food, the better off she'll be.

Rene
Old May 6th 10, 06:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"kraut" wrote in message

I have an 18 / 19 years old indoor only tortie that weighs about 5
pounds. She weighed about 4 when we had her spayed (Female) after
having kittens when she was about 3 years old. She eats well and has
no problem with the litter box. She pees and poops fine. I can not
feel her ribs or bones but she just looks skinny and always has. I
pick her up and it is like picking up a feather. The other 4 all are
in their mid teens weight wise and from 9 to 11 years old. She runs
and jumps and plays with toys though not like when she was younger.
Now when she walks it is like watching an 80 year old human walk
compared to a teenagers walk. If interested a pic of her is at
http://users.ameritech.net/lestark/kitty-stand.jpg or
http://users.ameritech.net/lestark/kitty-win.jpg

She goes to vet and was checked and found everything within normal
range about a year ago.

Rene is right. The best thing you can do is go to all canned. I base that
upon what I have seen with my own cats. If she doesn't like canned after a
respectable try, then give her both canned and dry.

Though she is small, it sounds to me like she is meant to be. Some cats are
just this way. So many health problems accompany overweight, it might be
better for her to be slim. I think what I would do is give her more of
whatever she loves the best, at her age.

Old May 7th 10, 01:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kraut[_2_]

On Thu, 6 May 2010 13:52:38 -0400, "cybercat"
wrote:

[...]

Thanks all for the replies. Will try the Evo and she if they like it.

Old May 8th 10, 07:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

wrote:

I have an 18 / 19 years old indoor only tortie that weighs about 5
pounds. She weighed about 4 when we had her spayed (Female) after
having kittens when she was about 3 years old. She eats well and has
no problem with the litter box. She pees and poops fine. I can not
feel her ribs or bones but she just looks skinny and always has. I
pick her up and it is like picking up a feather. The other 4 all are
in their mid teens weight wise and from 9 to 11 years old. She runs
and jumps and plays with toys though not like when she was younger.
Now when she walks it is like watching an 80 year old human walk

That's because 18 years for a cat is physiologically equivalent to 88 years
for a human.

compared to a teenagers walk. If interested a pic of her is at
http://users.ameritech.net/lestark/kitty-stand.jpg or
http://users.ameritech.net/lestark/kitty-win.jpg

She goes to vet and was checked and found everything within normal
range about a year ago.

Do you remember what her urine specific gravity was? A lot can happen to a
cat in a year- Remember, a year for an adult cat is about the same as 4
years for us. You might want to get her blood & urine checked again. As
cats get older, they should have more frequent exams.

Rene is right. The best thing you can do is go to all canned. I base that
upon what I have seen with my own cats. If she doesn't like canned after

respectable try, then give her both canned and dry.

Though she is small, it sounds to me like she is meant to be. Some cats

are
just this way. So many health problems accompany overweight, it might be
better for her to be slim. I think what I would do is give her more of
whatever she loves the best, at her age.

Thanks all for the replies. Will try the Evo and she if they like it.

The phosphorus content of Evo is w-a-y too high for a 18/19 year-old cat
who may be in the early stages of CRF. Remember, the BUN and creatinine
don't start to rise in cats until 65-75% of renal function has been lost.

Phil

Old May 8th 10, 01:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kraut[_2_]

[...]

Don't remember the specific number but a couple of the tests were
Bun=Kidney test and S.G.P.T. Liver which they said sere within normal
range but they did not put any numbers on the paper gave me. I should
have wrote them down but -----.

She has to go in pretty soon so will see how she is doing then.

Will remember the phosphorus content item as well as all the other
comments and try to find some middle ground.

Thanks all.

Old May 8th 10, 01:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Phil P. exclaimed (5/8/2010 2:49 AM):
"kraut" wrote in message
She goes to vet and was checked and found everything within normal
range about a year ago.

Do you remember what her urine specific gravity was? A lot can happen to a
cat in a year- Remember, a year for an adult cat is about the same as 4
years for us. You might want to get her blood & urine checked again. As
cats get older, they should have more frequent exams.

My 14 year old cat goes every 6 month and gets a full Senior workup. Her
BUN tends to be slightly high but her creatnine is within normal ranges.
Vet is currently thinking IBS... but the medicine she's on for ulcers
(I forget the name) has been helping a lot, she's now cleaning up her
food and has finally put on some weight. She's supposed to be around
8.5# but was down to about 7 lbs 6oz.

jmc
Old May 8th 10, 10:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gandalf

On Thu, 06 May 2010 11:07:31 -0400, kraut wrote:

[...]

You are indeed fortunate that she is doing as well as she is, but it
sounds like she needs to put on some weight!

If you have not done so in the past 6 months, I would take her in to the
vet for blood work to rule out the common diseases of elderly cats.

Then ask the vet what they recommend. Ask about perhaps using kitten
food, since it's higher in calories.

But a trip to the vet is in order, first and foremost

---
Virus Database (VPS): 100508-1, 05/08/2010
Tested on: 5/8/2010 4:22:18 PM

Old May 9th 10, 08:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"kraut" wrote
She has to go in pretty soon so will see how she is doing then.

Will remember the phosphorus content item as well as all the other
comments and try to find some middle ground.

Thanks all.

Hope she continues to do well. And, listen to Phil, he knows his stuff. He
gave us advice that allowed us to have our sweet Boo for several years
longer than she might have lived without it. I do want to address the
"pretty soon" vet visit--this cat is really old for how long many cats live.
Push up the vet visit if you have a feeling she needs it. You do not want to
feel terrible later because you did not listen to your instincts. Old cats
can go downhill rapidly, and once they get beyond a certain point of
wasting, they simply will not eat. I went through that with a cat I lost at
age 20.