How long for FIP test?

Old August 29th 04, 03:11 PM
Don & Lisa

Default How long for FIP test?

It's been two weeks since I lost my Fireball, and I think I am ready to get my other cat a little brother. I went to see a cat yesterday in a shelter. It was heart wrenching. Anyway, how long does it take for a FIP test to get results? They had just put Gabriel, (name change I think), in isolation. Upper Resp. he said. Supervisor wasn't there. This cat was bright, alert, curious and never coughed or sneezed or showed any sign at all of illness. I don't want to take any chances with my Max.
Thanks all, Lisa.
Old August 29th 04, 05:02 PM
Don & Lisa

Well, I just talked to someone that said that I really don't have to worry too much about FIP, it's FeLuc and Aids that I should worry about. Mostly FeLuc. How long does that test take? The shelter is filthy and I can't stand the thought of him being there. But I have my boy here to think about. The lady I spoke to had another cat that I wanted to look at, after I talked to her, she told me to get this shelter cat. Her cat is safe, the shelter cat isn't . She was so great.
Thanks again, Lisa.

Old August 29th 04, 05:29 PM
Debbie Wilson

Don & Lisa wrote:

Well, I just talked to someone that said that I really don't have to worry
too much about FIP, it's FeLuc and Aids that I should worry about.
Mostly FeLuc. How long does that test take? The shelter is filthy and I
can't stand the thought of him being there. But I have my boy here to
think about. The lady I spoke to had another cat that I wanted to look
at, after I talked to her, she told me to get this shelter cat. Her cat
is safe, the shelter cat isn't . She was so great.

Hi Lisa,

The FeLV/FIV test - the quick 'snap' test, shows results in 10-15
minutes. It's about 95% accurate. Cats testing positive should never be
euthanized on that result alone as sometimes you can get false
positives, which resolve themselves in 6 weeks or so. I would act
swiftly for this little guy - is it a kill shelter? Are they likely to
euthanase him for having an URI?

HTH,

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

"He looked a fierce and quarrelsome cat, but claw he never would; He
only bit the ones he loved, because they tasted good." S. Greenfield

Old August 29th 04, 06:50 PM
MaryL

"Don & Lisa" wrote in message
m...
Well, I just talked to someone that said that I really don't have to worry
too much about FIP, it's FeLuc and Aids that I should worry about. Mostly
FeLuc. How long does that test take? The shelter is filthy and I can't stand
the thought of him being there. But I have my boy here to think about. The
lady I spoke to had another cat that I wanted to look at, after I talked to
her, she told me to get this shelter cat. Her cat is safe, the shelter cat
isn't . She was so great.
Thanks again, Lisa.
"Don & Lisa" wrote in message
m...
It's been two weeks since I lost my Fireball, and I think I am ready to
get my other cat a little brother. I went to see a cat yesterday in a
shelter. It was heart wrenching. Anyway, how long does it take for a FIP
test to get results? They had just put Gabriel, (name change I think), in
isolation. Upper Resp. he said. Supervisor wasn't there. This cat was
bright, alert, curious and never coughed or sneezed or showed any sign at
all of illness. I don't want to take any chances with my Max.
Thanks all, Lisa.

You should be able to get the first test results in just a few minutes.
Then, isolate your new adoptee in a room separate from your resident cat.
This should be done anyway to allow time for a gradual, careful introduction
of the two cats. The pictures in the first album under my signature shows
some of the steps I used. Of course, Holly had always reacted violently to
any other cat, so I took a lot of special precautions -- and am so glad that
I did because everything has worked out beautifully.

This sounds wonderful. Congratulations to both you and Gabriel.

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)
http://tinyurl.com/8y56 (Duffy and Holly "settle in")

Old August 30th 04, 03:20 AM
Don & Lisa

Thank you for your advice Mary. I think that I am going to make an
appointment with TED, and go from the shelter to him. I have a room that I
can put him in, don't have a great door like you do, but we will figure
something out.

Thanks, Lisa.

"Don & Lisa" wrote in message
m...
Well, I just talked to someone that said that I really don't have to worry
too much about FIP, it's FeLuc and Aids that I should worry about. Mostly
FeLuc. How long does that test take? The shelter is filthy and I can't
stand
the thought of him being there. But I have my boy here to think about. The
lady I spoke to had another cat that I wanted to look at, after I talked
her, she told me to get this shelter cat. Her cat is safe, the shelter cat
isn't . She was so great.
Thanks again, Lisa.
m...

Old August 30th 04, 05:33 AM
MaryL

"Don & Lisa" wrote in message
m...
Thank you for your advice Mary. I think that I am going to make an
appointment with TED, and go from the shelter to him. I have a room that I
can put him in, don't have a great door like you do, but we will figure
something out.

Thanks, Lisa.

You're welcome. That door was actually a damaged unfinished door that
friend/handyman found for me, then he cut a square out of it and mounted a
heavy mesh panel in it. That permitted the cats to see and get close to
each other without actually being in contact. That was one of the first
steps in their "introduction." You can use a very inexpensive lightweight
screen door for the same purpose. We used the same hardware (hinges and
doorknob) from the permanent door, then used them again to remount the
permanent door after Holly and Duffy were together.

Please contact me by email if you would like for me to send a lengthier
description of steps I used in introducing Holly and Duffy. The email
attached to this message is valid except that you need to
"take-out-the-litter."

MaryL