"There must beat least 50 cats"

Old January 14th 07, 01:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

Default "There must beat least 50 cats"

on Sun, 14 Jan 2007 00:05:24 GMT, "Phil P." wrote:

Look at this handsome devil! He was adopted within an hour on his
first day at the store!

http://maxshouse.com/Rescues/hald_or...abby-01-sm.jpg

Well I can see why!!

--
Lynne
Old January 14th 07, 10:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Wendy" wrote in message

I hear you about this last kitten season. It's not ending. We got in two
litters last weekend and just had someone in the store today trying to get
us to take another litter. We still have two litters from the summer to

find
homes for.

Most of these late-season litters come from intact *indoor* cats. Outdoor
and feral queens usually don't cycle in the winter months because their
cycles are controlled by photoperiod- the days are too short. But females
living in artificial light can cycle all year round. That's why kitten
seasons never seem to end.

I meet some really ignorant people in the stores with some really stupid
notions about neutering. I can't talk to them for more than a minute without
losing my patience (and my temper).

At least people are finally looking at our adults. We adopted a girl out

two
weeks ago who came in last April when she was pregnant and another today

who
we picked up in another colony last June.

Unless the cat is exceptional- adults and older cats are hard to home. If I
hold kitten adoptions back a few weeks to give the older cats a chance to be
adopted the kittens become harder to adopt. Its a catch 22. I'm thankful
for the really special people who only adopt older cats -- they're super
compassionate and understand the older cats' plight. I wish there were many
more people like that.

Phil

Old January 14th 07, 10:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Lynne" wrote in message
m...
on Sun, 14 Jan 2007 00:05:24 GMT, "Phil P." wrote:

Look at this handsome devil! He was adopted within an hour on his
first day at the store!

http://maxshouse.com/Rescues/hald_or...abby-01-sm.jpg

Well I can see why!!

I'm really happy for him- he came from a very bad situation. He was
terrorized and almost killed by a pit bull. Sadly, two of his littermates
weren't as fortunate. The f****** cops didn't do a thing to the owner of the
dog- whose nothing but an insecure little maggot whose thinks breeding a dog
to be vicious will enhance his social status.

Old January 14th 07, 10:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"bookie" wrote in message
ps.com...

I must be missing something but why would people 'complain' about
having a colony of cats around? do they do any particular damage?

Because their ignorant and think the cats will give them rabies or some
other fatal disease. What they lack in ignorance they make up for with
stupidity. Don't the idiots see the cats run and hide when they see anyone
but the people who feed them?

Old January 14th 07, 11:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Sunshine" wrote in message
ups.com...
The cats are beautiful too! I'm glad they have you and the restaurant
to help look after them and make sure they eat well. )

A little too well! lol

Old January 15th 07, 01:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

Phil P. wrote:
I'm thankful
for the really special people who only adopt older cats -- they're super
compassionate and understand the older cats' plight. I wish there were many
more people like that.

not sure about that,I take older cats inpreference and I'm a super
bitch! I only prefer older cats cos i am also lazy and tight-fisted;
you don't have to housetrain an old timer nor do you have to shell out
money on neutering and initial injections etc as that is usually
already done.

older cats are much less aggro, they are less likely to go roaming
outside and get themselves run over and if you get very old ones (15+
years) all they will do is sleep all day with an occasional 15 minute
burst of activity, perfect for someone lazy like me. On top of which
they are already big enough to give big hugs to without squeezing them
to death and really big old fat ones can lay across your feet at night
and keep them warm whilst you sleep, i don't see what there is not to
like?

maybe i am selfish but when i see kittens at the shelter I just see
loads of work to be done and for someone like me who is not at home
most of the day (although i do finish early) it is just not feasible so
an older cat really is perfect

give me a pensioner puss anyday, Bookie

Old January 15th 07, 01:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

"bookie" wrote in message
ups.com...

Phil P. wrote:
[...]

Thankfully there are others who feel the same way so we eventually get most
of our adults adopted. Seniors are the real problem though. We just got a
girl back that we adopted out 7 years ago. Now we have to try to place a 10
yr. old long haired calico with a yeast infection in her ears.

Old January 15th 07, 10:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

Wendy wrote:
"bookie" wrote in message
ups.com...

Phil P. wrote:
[...]

if you are in the UK we could do business...where are you?

Old January 16th 07, 10:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

"bookie" wrote in message
ups.com...

Wendy wrote:

[...]