A Pair of Cat's Names

Old May 5th 07, 11:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ketzl's Dad

Default A Pair of Cat's Names

On Sat, 5 May 2007 18:08:58 -0400, wrote:

In case you have a burning need to know which famous leader you a
http://similarminds.com/leader.html

Joyce

FWIW I got Abe Lincoln.
I guess I won't be going to any plays any time soon.

--
Joey DoWop Dee
Remember: It is To Laugh

Old May 5th 07, 11:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana

Default Weird Pet Names

On Sat, 05 May 2007 18:03:06 -0400, mers yodeled:

On Sat, 05 May 2007 15:55:03 GMT, Ketzl's Dad wrote:

On Sat, 5 May 2007 11:38:56 -0400, Kreisleriana wrote:

I also call Ketzl (which, some people think, is a weird enough name. I
don't)

What could be more perfect for a kitty than Ketzl?

Nothing, in my mind, but to a lot of folks it seems like an odd name until I
explain that it means kitty or kitten.

Some of the other "pet names" that emerge spontaneously with reference to
said feline might tend to be off-putting to some, which is maybe why I don't
use them all the time or when others are around (and I won't repeat any of
them here) but I think it's a cultural thing there, too.

Neapolitans (which I'm not) and southern Italians in general (of which I am
one) have a habit of calling people they're fond of nicknames that might
sound insulting... it's a way of letting someone know you love them. :-)

My maternal grandparents are from Salerno & Palermo, so you know I have a
*very* quick fuse!

Mine are from Palermo, the Moorish town. Northern Italians used
to refer to Sicily as "down in Africa."

Theresa
Stinky Pictures:
http://community.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh

Make Levees, Not War
Old May 5th 07, 11:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana

On Sun, 06 May 2007 01:41:08 +0300, "Christine K."
yodeled:

kirjoitti:
Christine K. wrote:

Irulan kirjoitti:

I don't know if this would upset anyone here, but
when I discovered that Lily's birthday (April 21)
was the same day as Hitler's, I went around the
house for about a week calling her my little Miss
Adolf Hitler.

Actually, Adolf Hitler was born on April 20, not April 21. I know this
because my dad's born on April 21 too, is half German and used to live
in what back then was Germany, but now belongs to Poland.

Well, if you think it's bad to share a birthday with Hitler, I
recently took a Stupid Internet Quiz (TM) called "Which Famous
Leader Are You?", and I came out as Adoph Hitler. Other people who
took the test were like Gandhi and Abe Lincoln and Einstein, and
I'm Hitler?? When someone else posted that their result was Saddam
Hussein, I felt much better.

In case you have a burning need to know which famous leader you a
http://similarminds.com/leader.html

Joyce

Took the test, I'm Hitler too...

I'm Einstein!!!!

Guess all those people who have called me "Einstein" in my life were
right!!!!!

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old May 6th 07, 12:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ketzl's Dad

Default OT: Very, Was: Weird Pet Names

On Sat, 5 May 2007 18:45:24 -0400, Kreisleriana wrote:

[...]

I can beat that: My paternal grandparents are from *outside of* Palermo.
Nonno from Enna (which I have found on a map of Sicily) and Nonna from Villa
Rosa, which was about as hard to find as the proverbial needle.

Mafia aside, (since "there's no such thing as the Mafia" anyway) Sicilian
culture and history is very complex. What an amalgam.

--
Joey DoWop Dee
Remember: It is To Laugh

Old May 6th 07, 12:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

On Sat, 05 May 2007 18:05:46 +0000, mlbriggs wrote:

On Sat, 05 May 2007 15:55:03 +0000, Ketzl's Dad wrote:

On Sat, 5 May 2007 11:38:56 -0400, Kreisleriana wrote:

I also call Ketzl (which, some people think, is a weird enough name. I
don't)

What could be more perfect for a kitty than Ketzl?

Nothing, in my mind, but to a lot of folks it seems like an odd name until I
explain that it means kitty or kitten.

Some of the other "pet names" that emerge spontaneously with reference to
said feline might tend to be off-putting to some, which is maybe why I don't
use them all the time or when others are around (and I won't repeat any of
them here) but I think it's a cultural thing there, too.

Neapolitans (which I'm not) and southern Italians in general (of which I am
one) have a habit of calling people they're fond of nicknames that might
sound insulting... it's a way of letting someone know you love them. :-)

When I was a child, the neighbors across the street had a female blue cat
named Gee Whizz. I loved Gee Whizz. She was the mother of my first cat,
Frisky, that was my 10th birthday present. MLB

The rest of the story: I remember the father looked at the pregnant stray
female who wandered in stating "Gee whizz" what will we do with that cat?
They kept her and she subsequently had several batches of kittens. This
was way back in time before they spayed cats. He was a kindhearted man
who liked animals and kids. He taught us (my brother and me plus his two
kids )to play Rummy and Poker.

Old May 6th 07, 12:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana

On Sat, 05 May 2007 23:13:37 GMT, Ketzl's Dad
yodeled:

[...]

Good book:
http://tinyurl.com/2t9yns

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old May 6th 07, 01:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ketzl's Dad

On Sat, 5 May 2007 19:59:12 -0400, Kreisleriana wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I may add it to my growing collection.

--
Joey DoWop Dee
Remember: It is To Laugh

What a pair! Pat Cat anecdotes 3 March 7th 07 01:56 PM
Are your cat's names on the list? Flippy Cat anecdotes 23 November 24th 06 05:07 PM
Sacramento, CA: PAIR OF BEAUTIES - CATS Hi Im WEEniE with MyFav4ite Midi Cat rescue 0 January 30th 05 12:51 PM
Your Cat's Names Rob Riemensnyder Cat anecdotes 144 May 27th 04 08:11 PM
Meowmie bought another pair of shoes... Marina Cat anecdotes 28 May 9th 04 08:21 AM