Feral Cat Vomiting and Wants Water. Help?

Old June 16th 04, 01:37 AM
Robyn

Default Feral Cat Vomiting and Wants Water. Help?

Hi, it's me again. Hoping for some quick advice, as it's too late for a
vet tonight. One of my recently adopted feral cats has been doing a lot
of vomiting today and I'm getting concerned. She's not vomiting food,
just small amounts of white stuff, like spit. When it started, I picked
up the food and water dishes, to get her system to calm down. It doesn't
seem to have helped much, she's still vomiting about once every 90
minutes or so. The thing is, she's desperate for water, and keeps
running through the house looking for it. Should I give her a little so
she'll maybe settle down, or continue to withhold it? Any other advice
would also be helpful, because she's still pretty feral, and putting her
in a carrier for the vet will be extremely traumatic for her, if it can
even be managed. She permits gentle petting, but nothing else, we can't
pick her up or handle her yet. Help?

Thanks,
Robyn

--
To avoid grizzlies, the Alaska Department of Fish & Game advises hikers
to wear noisy little bells on clothes and carry pepper spray. Also watch

Old June 16th 04, 02:19 AM

The thing is, she's desperate for water,
and keeps running through the house
looking for it. Should I give her a little so
she'll maybe settle down, or continue to
withhold it

Don't withhold water. The cat will get severely dehydrated from the
constant vomiting. It sounds serious and if it were my cat I would be at
the ER or on the vets doorstep when they opened in the a.m. ,
appointment or no.

Your best bet to catch her and get her to the vet is to wear a pair of
heavy gloves, grab her and dump her butt first into a carrier that is on
end with the opening facing towards the ceiling, then quickly shut the
door.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old June 16th 04, 06:44 AM
m. L. Briggs

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 23:46:02 -0400, "Robyn"

The thing is, she's desperate for water,
and keeps running through the house
looking for it. Should I give her a little so
she'll maybe settle down, or continue to
withhold it

Don't withhold water. The cat will get severely dehydrated from the
constant vomiting. It sounds serious and if it were my cat I would be
at the ER or on the vets doorstep when they opened in the a.m. ,
appointment or no.

Your best bet to catch her and get her to the vet is to wear a pair of
heavy gloves, grab her and dump her butt first into a carrier that is
on end with the opening facing towards the ceiling, then quickly shut
the door.

Megan

Thanks Megan. :-) When this started earlier today I checked several
vet websites to see what the symptoms could mean. All advocated
withholding water and food to let her system settle and break the
vomiting cycle. It was her desperation to find water that worried me. I
took your advice and offered a small amount of water. She seemed to
settle after that. It's now been about 3 hours since she last vomited,
and she's sleeping peacefully in her hammock. Hopefully she just got
hold of something bad and is over it. I'll offer a bit more water and
some food later. We're going to watch her closely, and will call the vet
in the morning, or take her if the vomiting resumes. I'll post again and
let you know how she is.

Thanks again,
Robyn

When we are sick, it is advised to drink lots of liquids. It seems to
me you should definitely let her have water,,Even throwing up is
easier if you have water in your stomach.