Cat Chewing on Itself

Old February 10th 05, 11:06 PM
Denise Dobie via CatKB.com

Default Cat Chewing on Itself

We recently moved from a house (Oct 04) to an an apartment until our new
home is built. Thus our cats can only enjoy the outdoors on our deck
overlooking the apartment complex. Prior to this, our cats were free to
roam out in the backyard several hours a day and then return to house as
they wanted. In the last several months our Russian Blue has been chewing
on his backside until the fur is missing and he has punctured his skin. He
has done this in several places. Our other cat which has had no problems,
neither has our dog. Can anyone tell me what we can do to keep our Blue
from chewing on himself? Is there a cure? What may be wrong?

Old February 10th 05, 11:55 PM
Cleo

Sudden behavior changes should always be checked out by a vet. It could
be an allergy... there are treatments. It could be some type of parasite
that your russian blue is especially sensitive to.
When a cat chews or obsessively cleans an area it can lead to other
types of problems. Check with your vet soon.

Old February 11th 05, 12:10 AM
Alison

--

As Cleo said , you need to get your cat checked over by a vet. He
could have an anal gland problem or parasites.

Old February 11th 05, 05:45 AM

I would guess he's unhappy with the changes. Excessive, destructive
grooming is a stress reaction. Maybe get a harness and try taking him
for a walk around the apartment complex periodically? It's not the
same, but perhaps it will abate his feelings of upset a bit - at least
enough to get through this temporary period.

Old February 11th 05, 05:39 PM
ceb

" wrote in
oups.com:

I would guess he's unhappy with the changes. Excessive, destructive
grooming is a stress reaction. Maybe get a harness and try taking him
for a walk around the apartment complex periodically? It's not the
same, but perhaps it will abate his feelings of upset a bit - at least
enough to get through this temporary period.

I think this is a good idea if it works for the cat in question.

I would also suggest some interactive toys -- it sounds like he was getting
a lot of stimulation and exercise from going outside, and some play
sessions inside might really help.

Rosalie loves the cat charmer, found he

http://www.catdancer.com/products.htm

And I've heard many people say their cat loves the cat dancer (on that same
webpage).

--Catherine
& Rosalie the calico
Old February 12th 05, 09:37 PM
John Kimmel

Try Grannick's Bitter Apple:
http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=8876

Denise Dobie via CatKB.com wrote:
We recently moved from a house (Oct 04) to an an apartment until our new
home is built. Thus our cats can only enjoy the outdoors on our deck
overlooking the apartment complex. Prior to this, our cats were free to
roam out in the backyard several hours a day and then return to house as
they wanted. In the last several months our Russian Blue has been chewing
on his backside until the fur is missing and he has punctured his skin. He
has done this in several places. Our other cat which has had no problems,
neither has our dog. Can anyone tell me what we can do to keep our Blue
from chewing on himself? Is there a cure? What may be wrong?

--
J Kimmel

www.metalinnovations.com

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - When you have
their full attention in your grip, their hearts and minds will follow.