What do cats do at night outside?

Old January 25th 08, 02:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
honeybunch

Default What do cats do at night outside?

I wonder why a neutered cat with a bit of arthritis in his rear leg
loves to stay out all night long in freezing weather. What goes on
out there? I live in an old surburban neighborhood in Philadelphia.
There is a high wall at the bottom of my garden separating it from a
school for the blind. The wall is about 10 feet high but he gets up
there and walks around on it and I am afraid he might jump down on the
other side and not be able to jump back up. That's one fear. At
night he can be comatose with sleep in his basket in my bedroom. I
turn out the light and while Im falling asleep , he silently wakes up
and jumps up on the window sill because something outside had gotten
his attention. I take a look and cant see a thing. I wonder if its
safer to let him out all night or just for a couple of hours in the
morning. He does his business outside and cries to go out when he
means business. I know that during the day he stalks birds and once
he chased a rabbit and it got stuck in a fence and made so much noise
that he ran off and I had to go and rescue the screaming rabbit. But
what goes on at night that facinates cats so?
Old January 25th 08, 05:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"honeybunch" wrote in message
I wonder why a neutered cat with a bit of arthritis in his rear leg
loves to stay out all night long in freezing weather.

I don't know, why don't you wait until he freezes to death, gets hit by a
car or killed
by another animal, then you'll know for sure.

You're the one with the large brain and opposable thumbs.

Figure it out.

Old January 25th 08, 05:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bobblespin[_2_]

honeybunch wrote in news:15cf61a6-2600-4689-8bd3-
:

[...]

Well, one thing they do is come to my patio door and howl at my cat (who's
inside all night) at 3 in the morning and wake everybody up. There are two
cats in our neighbourhood who do that every night, and we're fed up with
it.

Bobble
Old January 25th 08, 05:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"bobblespin" wrote
Well, one thing they do is come to my patio door and howl at my cat (who's
inside all night) at 3 in the morning and wake everybody up. There are
two
cats in our neighbourhood who do that every night, and we're fed up with
it.

And if you were a cat-hating cretin, you might just hurt that cat if you
could
catch it.

Another good reason to keep cats, particularly old, arthritic ones that
cannot
run fast, inside where they are safe.

Old January 25th 08, 07:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Noon Cat Nick

honeybunch wrote:
[...]

Without getting into the indoor-outdoor debate on what's best for pet
felines...

Outside at night, cats prowl and hunt. Indoor/outdoor pet cats usually
have an outdoor territory of about one square mile. They spend much of
their time patrolling it, guarding it from invaders. Along the way, if
they spot a tasty critter, they'll go on the hunt. And if, like yours,
they're used to using the wilderness as a toilet, that's another reason
to go out at night.

Cats by nature are nocturnal; they're built for nighttime romps. They
don't have stupendous eyesight, but they compensate with extraordinary
senses of smell and hearing. They also have the ability to dilate their
pupils to allow them to see in dim conditions. Plus they have a
phenomenal sense of direction, allowing them to find their way back to
home base in a variety of conditions. And arthritic though your pet may
be, cats naturally hide their afflictions from other animals, so as not
to clue either prey or predators in to their weaknesses. Along with
this, if your cat goes outdoors daily, he's probably built up a good
seasonal coat of fur and some extra body fat to protect him from frigid
temperatures. (You also might have noticed him eating more in recent
months; going outdoors in the winter requires extra calories to stay warm.)
Old January 26th 08, 10:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
IBen Getiner[_2_]

On Jan 25, 8:55*am, honeybunch wrote:
I wonder why a neutered cat with a bit of arthritis in his rear leg
loves to stay out all night long in freezing weather. *What goes on
out there? *

They Feed, Flee, **** and fight. What else...? What planet do you live
on anyway...?

IBen Getiner
Old January 26th 08, 11:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Noon Cat Nick

The planet of desexed cats, where they feed, flee and fight, but don't ****.
Old January 28th 08, 01:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
stonej

On Jan 26, 5:44*pm, Noon Cat Nick
wrote:
IBen Getiner wrote:
On Jan 25, 8:55 am, honeybunch wrote:

I wonder why a neutered cat with a bit of arthritis in his rear leg
loves to stay out all night long in freezing weather. *What goes on
out there? *

They Feed, Flee, **** and fight. What else...? What planet do you live
on anyway...?

The planet of desexed cats, where they feed, flee and fight, but don't ****.

When I was living at home our cat went out at night quite often,
usually around 9:30 PM or so and my dad would say
to it "you know if you go out now you are out all night" (not that
the cat could understand him of course but this was
a favorite saying of his). Around 6 AM he would be scratching at the
door to get in and that was no problem as my
parents were early risers to get ready for work. Sometimes the cat
would climb up the apple tree and get on the
roof and come to my window and start scrathing to come in (usually
around 4 AM or so) when it did this it also
wanted to be fed right away and would make noise if it did not get
food pronto.
Old January 28th 08, 07:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sheelagh>\o\

On Jan 26, 10:44*pm, Noon Cat Nick
wrote:
IBen Getiner wrote:
On Jan 25, 8:55 am, honeybunch wrote:

I wonder why a neutered cat with a bit of arthritis in his rear leg
loves to stay out all night long in freezing weather. *What goes on
out there? *

They Feed, Flee, **** and fight. What else...? What planet do you live
on anyway...?

The planet of desexed cats, where they feed, flee and fight, but don't ****.

LOL, V.Well worded
Sheelagh"o"
Old January 29th 08, 10:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
IBen Getiner[_2_]

On Jan 27, 7:30�pm, stonej wrote:
On Jan 26, 5:44�pm, Noon Cat Nick
wrote:

[...]