Religious Rant Time. Almost ALL OT

Old April 14th 10, 07:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Default Religious Rant Time. Almost ALL OT

My dear friend, hang onto your sanity, it can get worse. There are nut
cases out there and, they read the papers to find people to victimize.

Ignore them, after you calm down, they know nothing and the fact that they
contact you in this way proves it.

I got an invite the week after Bob died to join a widows group. I went once
just for S and G's. It was the worst thing I ever did. A bunch of drunken
broads talking about what they messed about their men who had died. Problem
was, I knew a few of them and that they wouldn't give their husbands the
time of day let alone anything else.

"This to shall pass..." Just try and hang on to what you know for the time
being.

Sorry for the rant but this is one of my buttons!!!!
"tanadashoes" wrote in message
I picked up the mail yesterday and found a sympathy card/note from someone
I didn't recognize. So I opened it up expecting it to be like the one I
got from our local county sheriff, who is running for re-election, and
found something totally different.

This woman sent me a letter telling me that she "know(s) the pain of
losing one's mate so soon" as well as the grief of losing a child, brother
and so forth. Then the hag has the nerve to imply that Rob died because
he was "not right with the Lord" and that we needed to read this tract
about their church and how we will be resurrected if we are members of her
local church. The cow states that I need to read the tract from her
church along with my bible and that I can be saved if I were to do this
and come to her church. There is more, but you get the general drift.

After the kids peeled me out of the sky and grabbed the tract from me, I
went from ready to blow up this cow's church to furious. I'm sorry, I was
raised in the Hypocritical Church of the Disciples of Christ. The most
religious ones there would worship on Sunday and ignore the bruises and
tears of an abused child the rest of the week. I'm sorry, but if you want
to minister to my soul, SHOW ME your faith.

Rob rarely went into a church, but he was the most Christian man I ever
knew. He couldn't see a car disabled on the side of the road and not try
to help that person. He cared about others and would turn out when a
neighbor needed food, a ride to the doctor, or someone to listen to. He
changed light bulbs for short women in the unit whose husbands were gone
and couldn't take care of them. He took in stray and lost animals and
either found them homes or added them to the menagerie here.

And this person has the nerve to state that Rob is going to hell because
he isn't a member of her church?!! I really what to go over to her church
and let her pastor know what I think of her fanaticism, and if he supports
this, that church. Part of what gets me is that this was dated on the
date of Rob's funeral. I am so upset that I am crying mad. This woman
went through the local obituaries and sent out tons of these letters to
grieving families and made their pain more acute and hateful. To make
things worse, we'd just come back from visiting Rob's internment site and
enjoying a peaceful communion with him. Rob would have forgiven the
woman. I'm having a really hard time with the concept let alone the act
of forgiveness towards those who prey on a family's grief in order to try
to wrestle up a few new members for their church.

What a hateful thing for this person to do.

Pam S

Old April 14th 10, 08:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_3_]

On Apr 14, 6:35*am, tanadashoes wrote:

What a hateful thing for this person to do.

Dearest Pam

Probably the way I'd look at is- This person is so much a narrow
minded a***hole that come judgement day or whatever they're going to
ascend to Heaven, full of themselves because they know that yea
verily, they've been good Christians, spread the word, read their
bibles, been to church etc... And St Peter and Jesus will be waiting
to recieve them...With baseball bats.....Strike one for Jesus! Strike
two for St Peter!

Rob was a better Christian than these- he was a good man who didn't
turn away when people and animals needed help.
How do I put this? I always felt it strange that your surname was
"Shirk"- I don't know if it has the same meaning in the States but
over here to "Shirk" means to avoid responsibilities etc.But Rob never
shirked his to you and the kids...to his country...to anyone human or
animal that needed help and when Rob got ill you didn't shirk from
caring from him to the end

Ignore the b**ch - let's just say the Lord will teach her a lesson
sooner or later..I am not particularly Christian I toy with paganism
etc,,,,shall we settle on I know there has to be something out there
and I call it "God" when I pray for want of a better word to encompass
the unknowable infinite ..but I do know the infinite is merciful and
kind and forgiving and does not like people who think words have more
meaning than actions.

As I've leant over my life "What goes around comes around" and that's
how I've tried to live and mostly its worked out

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old April 14th 10, 09:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Joy" wrote in message
"Bruce" wrote in message
On Apr 14, 7:35 am, tanadashoes wrote:
[...]

This is not the last one like this you will receive. Obituaries
are
regularly
skimmed by scam artists for potential victims and will bombard you
with
memorial offers and more. Either get used to it or have someone
else
open the mail from unknowns.

***

They may be more prevalent now, or in certain areas. I didn't
receive anything like that after my husband died, but that was
quite a few years ago.

Joy

Not all of them are so obvious. One that comes to mind is the
"termite" report that will likely arrive in the next few months.
Most scam artists are smart enough to wait a little while before
striking.

Lets just say every marketing group in the world knows that people
are especially vulnerable when they are grieving. (And when they
are old, but that is a whole other rant)

Jo

Old April 14th 10, 09:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
NettieCat

On 14 Apr, 14:35, tanadashoes wrote:
[...]

The woman is an out and out crazy bitch. In your place I'd burn the
letter and stamp on the ashes, it'd make me feel better. Other people
here have made a lot of good points, so I won't repeat them. In the
long run, you have your memories of so many happy years with a
wonderful man. If she had anything like that, she wouldn't be
harassing the vulnerable.

Jeanette
Old April 14th 10, 10:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Jofirey" wrote in message

"Joy" wrote in message
"Bruce" wrote in message
[...]

As I said, I didn't get any of that.

Joy

Old April 14th 10, 10:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default "Church of" rhetoric (was: Religious Rant Time. Almost ALL OT)

wrote in message
Cheryl P. wrote:

Then you believe what you read in the papers over your own
experiences?
Although you must be reading different papers than I am if you ever
read
one that described the Catholic church that way.

You're kidding, right? This far-reaching story has been in the news for
*years*. People are coming forward all over the world to talk about
their
experiences as children, having been molested in the church. Damn right
I believe it!

You mean you believe that the Catholic Church made up of child
molesters? Or perhaps founded by a child molester? That's what 'church
of' means.

I'm not going to argue details with you, but I think you're being *way*
too literal here. Calling it the "church of" is a rhetorical device. It's
shorthand for "It Might As Well Be Called The Church of Child Molesters,
Since It Happened To So Many Kids For So Many Years".

And of course you have no way of knowing that because of where I live I
probably knew of this scandal before most people in most places - it hit
early and hard here. I wasn't denying that evil things happened, I was
complaining about your use of the scandal to blacken all Catholics (of
which I'm not one, actually, so my ox isn't being gored in this
debate!).

Actually, it wasn't me, but MMG who used that phrase. I was just agreeing
with her sentiments.

I'm sure that's much easier to do when somebody's not preying on your
vulnerability in a time of grief. I get Christian religious tracts in
the mail from time to time, just roll my eyes and dump it. But nobody's
telling me a beloved person who I have just lost is en route to hell.
I think my reaction would be a tad stronger in that case, and it
wouldn't
be so easy to dismiss.

No. It's hard to be calm; one's emotions are all over the map right
after a bereavement. But really, lashing out in a newspaper or to the
church or even to the poor fool who thinks she's God and can determine
who goes to heaven or hell isn't going to help much. Or it wouldn't help
me, at any rate.

On the other hand, it might help a few folks who are either more desperate
or less discerning than Pam is, from being taken in by the scam, if the
same
thing were to happen to them.

Joyce

It was a cruel thing to do, but I see no indication that it was a scam.

Joy

Old April 14th 10, 10:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

[...]

There are nut cases in every group of people, people who don't feel good
about themselves unless everyone else is feeling as lousy as they are. They
will use any excuse thy can to show off about how righteous and wonderful
they are because they so fear that the truth is the opposite (and they are
right, the truth is the opposite) - and unfortuantely at the moment you are
'easy pickings'. You have every right to be angry - nay furious - at the
bitch. You already know that a loving and benevolent deity would never
sanction something so heartless and cruel and that Rob wold forgive her.
He'd forgive her because he would have felt sorry for her - sorry that she
had so little in the way of positive an uplifting things in her life that
she felt the need to poison a stranger's life at their lowest and most
vunerable point. A life so bitter and sour that she spends her time and
money on hurting other people under the guise of 'righteousness' whilst
folks like you - who don't hate themselves enough to be considered 'worthy'
by her notion of god - laugh and love and smile even whilst you are
grieving. Sucks to be her.

Don't waste your time on getting back at her - that would just say that she
got your attention (and she see this as you being 'convicted' and think she
did a good thing). Just live your life as Rob would want you to live it. And
as others have said, get someone else to open up mail from strangers for a
while.

Purrs and hugs, and surrounding you & your family with the light of Bast

Yowie
--
If you're paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many
pancakes can you fit in a doghouse? None, icecream doesn't have bones.

Old April 14th 10, 11:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Joy" wrote in message
"Jofirey" wrote in message

"Joy" wrote in message
"Bruce" wrote in message
[...]

My mother got a "sympathy" card after my father died from a "spa", offering
her 10% off a massage to make her "feel better". I cannot tell you how
infuriated I was! Oh right, a good rub-down is going to make the pain of
losing her husband go away. Grrrrr. I was really ticked off. I did get
online and start a campaign against this business for trolling obituaries to
drum up new clientele. What an insensitive thing to do!

Jill

Old April 14th 10, 11:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
snuffy

On Apr 14, 9:35*am, tanadashoes wrote:
[...]

I am so sorry that you have lost your husband who sounds like a very
special kindly man who you will continue miss so horribly. The
intrusive churchwoman inadvertently added more pain on top of already
unbearable pain. It will pass in time. Let it roll over you.
Old April 14th 10, 11:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"Joy" wrote in message
"Jofirey" wrote in message

[...]